Movies: The Last Duel (Ridley Scott)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was kind of yanked out of it when I saw Matt Damon and Adam Driver. I'm too used to seeing them in modern and sci-fi movies. It looks good, though. Hopefully, it's better than Ridley Scott's Robin Hood, his last medieval movie, I think.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This was this last movie I expected to have this many high profile American actors. Lol. Looks good though.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ridley Scott really loves his period movies. Wonder how close to the actual events it will be.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

My wife and I debated seeing this on the weekend. The long running time though made it difficult for finding a decent showtime. It's also, from what I understand, fairly intense with its subject matter, and doesn't make for a fun date night.

We decided if we're going to see something in theatres, there's a few more films on our radar the next few weeks that look more fun.

I'm sure a lot of people made similar decisions. I've seen comments that try and make the point that it's proof that adult skewing films can't succeed these days, but, I think the overall tone and feel of this movie was doomed from the start.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This movie certainly delivers on what it intends to. It's an emotional gut punch of a movie. You really feel the weight of everything. If this movie was made even just 7 or 8 years ago, it would be very different.

There are definitely some choices they made that I don't really agree with, but overall I would recommend it for audiences who want an intense experience
There are some contrasting artistic choices and statements that take away from the movie somewhat upon reflection. Namely, the movie is presented from multiple perspectives, yet they declare one perspective to be "The Truth." Further still, the opinion declared to be truthful is, ironically, the one that's most speculative (as it's the one perspective that's not actually written about historically, despite this movie being advertised and declared in the introduction to be based on true events). They also pull in some rather obvious nods to recent history, sometimes so jarringly so that it takes the viewer out of the experience. I understand why they made many of these choices to attempt to deliver the message they want to deliver, and while I agree with that message, at times they flew completely by the point of any subtlety or nuance. They give the audience very little credit for being able to figure out this message on our own. Some of their attempts to beat this point into us just feel gratuitous.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I saw John Campea's out of the theater reaction and it seems the style choice of telling the same story from 3 different viewpoints didn't work on an otherwise good movie.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It sounds like a Medieval "he said, she said" for the MeToo era that fails to replicate the brilliance of Rashomon's story structure because it's never in doubt whose version of events is the truth and because the versions are too similar. Some people are saying that that makes it feel too long and tedious and that the misogyny, sex and rape to drive home its theme are gratuitous. On the bright side, it sounds like the action is satisfying and Comer gives an Oscar-worthy performance. Receiving far fewer compliments are Affleck and Damon (no surprise), especially their hairstyles. I have no tolerance for bad hairstyles, so I'm going to skip this for now.

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020
It sounds like a Medieval "he said, she said" for the MeToo era that fails to replicate the brilliance of Rashomon's story structure because it's never in doubt whose version of events is the truth and because the versions are too similar. Some people are saying that that makes it feel too long and tedious and that the misogyny, sex and rape to drive home its theme are gratuitous. On the bright side, it sounds like the action is satisfying and Comer gives an Oscar-worthy performance. Receiving far fewer compliments are Affleck and Damon (no surprise), especially their hairstyles. I have no tolerance for bad hairstyles, so I'm going to skip this for now.

Pretty spot on. Saw it on the weekend, except I'd say that for 2.5 hours, it kept my interest throughout. I enjoyed it. And I didnt mind Affleck.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad