The Kings new conference.

Jun 30, 2006
What is the new conference makeup going to look like and what are the new playoff rules? Will it be tougher for the Kings to make the playoffs or easier? I am confused on this new setup the NHL is implementing.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
As I understand it, the "pacific" division will be made up of Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, San Jose, Anaheim, Phoenix (or whoever by next season) and LA. The top 4 teams make the playoffs, at which point 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3, then the 2 winners will play each other. Not sure how they decide who plays who when they get down to 1 from each of the 4 conferences though.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
dsafsdfdsfsdfadsfsdfs_original.jpg

If Phoenix moves to Seattle, the NHL won't have to make any adjustments to the division the Kings will be playing in as they'd be within the Pacific timezone.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
1.Chicago 77
2.St.Louis 60
3.Minnesota 55
4.Winnipeg 51(22 ROW)
5.Dallas 48
6.Nashville 41
7.Colorado 39

1.Anaheim 66
2.Los Angeles 59
3.Vancouver 59
4.San Jose 57
5.Phoenix 51(17 ROW)
6.Edmonton 45
7.Calgary 42

Top 3 in each group have guaranteed spots. The last two are wild cards, and they go to the two teams with the best remaining records, regardless of group. The division winner with the most points plays the wild card team with the fewest points in the 1st round, regardless of group. The rest of the matchups are based on division standings. In the above scenario, that means Chicago vs. Winnipeg. However, if Phoenix were to be the 2nd wild card team, they play Chicago, and the Coyotes would stay in the "Midwest" divisional playoff bracket until they're eliminated.

They could've changed things by the time everything is announced officially, but that's what was agreed to when last we heard about it.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I'm curious as to why the mods haven't changed the forum. Years over. We're in a new conference as of now IMO. CHANGE THE DAMN BOARDS! :sarcasm:

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm curious as to why the mods haven't changed the forum. Years over. We're in a new conference as of now IMO. CHANGE THE DAMN BOARDS! :sarcasm:

Might be waiting for a name change and for things in the NHL to calm down a bit before they do a bit of an overhaul to the board organization.

I expect the change some time after free agency starts.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
1.Chicago 77
2.St.Louis 60
3.Minnesota 55
4.Winnipeg 51(22 ROW)
5.Dallas 48
6.Nashville 41
7.Colorado 39

1.Anaheim 66
2.Los Angeles 59
3.Vancouver 59
4.San Jose 57
5.Phoenix 51(17 ROW)
6.Edmonton 45
7.Calgary 42

Top 3 in each group have guaranteed spots. The last two are wild cards, and they go to the two teams with the best remaining records, regardless of group. The division winner with the most points plays the wild card team with the fewest points in the 1st round, regardless of group. The rest of the matchups are based on division standings. In the above scenario, that means Chicago vs. Winnipeg. However, if Phoenix were to be the 2nd wild card team, they play Chicago, and the Coyotes would stay in the "Midwest" divisional playoff bracket until they're eliminated.

They could've changed things by the time everything is announced officially, but that's what was agreed to when last we heard about it.

The good news that I see, If I get this properly, is odds of the Kings facing the Blues again in the first round would be a long shot, unless the Kings have another so-and-so season and get a wild card spot...

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The good news that I see, If I get this properly, is odds of the Kings facing the Blues again in the first round would be a long shot, unless the Kings have another so-and-so season and get a wild card spot...

Vise versa could be true to. But ya way less of a chance.
The chance of an Anaheim LA series is a heck of a lot better.

jimmy1100

Feb 17, 2007
Colorado Springs

Correct - the only way we could face the Blues in the first round would be if we were the #1 seed in our division AND St. Louis was the 7 or 8 seed (depending on how many points the Div B winner has).

The positive I see in this is that if we are going to meet Chicago in the conference finals again (something I REALLY want next year) then it is FAR more likely that they will have gotten past St. Louis than we will.

I'm not going to say us playing St. Louis and SJ before Chicago allowed them to win the series this year, but I don't think there is any doubt it contributed to the loss.

If Phoenix moves to Seattle, the NHL won't have to make any adjustments to the division the Kings will be playing in as they'd be within the Pacific timezone.

I am hoping for this SO much. I could go to three Kings games a year without ever leaving town.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Or the Blues have a so-so season and get a wild card.

It's less likely the Kings will see the Blues early on, but still possible. If the Kings finish either 2nd or 3rd in the division, they're guaranteed to play someone from the west of the western conference in the 1st round. If they finish 1st or as a wild card, who knows.

I'm thinking the wild card idea is mostly for the teams in the east, as is usually the case. It could mess up the travel in the west come playoff time, which was one reason a new alignment was proposed in the first place.

The league and the PA are going to give the new alignment and playoff format a couple years, and then see if they want to change things again. It's really just a big experiment.

jimmy1100

Feb 17, 2007
Colorado Springs
Or the Blues have a so-so season and get a wild card.

It's less likely the Kings will see the Blues early on, but still possible. If the Kings finish either 2nd or 3rd in the division, they're guaranteed to play someone from the west of the western conference in the 1st round. If they finish 1st or as a wild card, who knows.

I'm thinking the wild card idea is mostly for the teams in the east, as is usually the case. It could mess up the travel in the west come playoff time, which was one reason a new alignment was proposed in the first place.

The league and the PA are going to give the new alignment and playoff format a couple years, and then see if they want to change things again. It's really just a big experiment.

My hope would be eventual expansion, followed by 4, 8-team divisions. Each division goes 1v4 and 2v3, then winners vs each other, then division champ v division champ for the conference and the two conference winners for the cup.

You wanna build division rivalry, guarantee that EVERY team goes through two division opponents to get to the cup. Also, bring back the good ole division names (Smythe, Patrick, Norris, Adams)!!!

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
Instead of the classic Smythe, Norris, Adams, and Patrick divisions we should go with contemporary names like Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, and Howe divisions :p: Not sure about the conferences so let's keep it East and West.

Captain Mittens*

Instead of the classic Smythe, Norris, Adams, and Patrick divisions we should go with contemporary names like Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, and Howe divisions :p: Not sure about the conferences so let's keep it East and West.

I was expecting a vote for cat beards from you of all people! :rant:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

I think it's already been confirmed that they'll retain regional names to identify each division.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Division championships are going to carry a hell of a lot more weight starting next year. I'm excited. First two rounds will be bloodbaths for the most part with assured rivalries.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Division championships are going to carry a hell of a lot more weight starting next year. I'm excited. First two rounds will be bloodbaths for the most part with assured rivalries.

The division champs and the wild card in the western conference are almost the worst place to be. You are the only teams that might have to travel outside your timezone by more than one zone to play games before the 3rd round.

Jun 30, 2006
My hope would be eventual expansion, followed by 4, 8-team divisions. Each division goes 1v4 and 2v3, then winners vs each other, then division champ v division champ for the conference and the two conference winners for the cup.

You wanna build division rivalry, guarantee that EVERY team goes through two division opponents to get to the cup. Also, bring back the good ole division names (Smythe, Patrick, Norris, Adams)!!!

What about the Gretzky conference?

Jun 30, 2006
They talked to Gary Bettman on NHL Live around the time of the announcement of the realignment and they made that suggestion and he mentioned that they will likely go towards the regional names.

Given that, it doesn't sound confirmed. Otherwise they would have officially named them all regionally, at the time of the realignment news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad