The Kings need a goalie!

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Right now we have Martin Jones, who isn't under contract, and Jean-Francois Berube. I think it's fair to say we could use another prospect/AHL goalie. I believe both Tom McCollum and Allen York are still available. York split time between Springfield and Evansville (Columbus's farm team) and started 11 games in the 11-12 season posting a .919 save percentage. He's a guy that hasn't been given a really good opportunity to show himself in the NHL, but when he did play he looked strong. I think it would be a low risk high reward situation if the kings let him start in the AHL. I truly believe if he is given the chance he will breakout and be a solid backup goalie for many years, which is exactly what the kings will need. As for McCollum, he does have a risk factor, but he also has potential. He had a decent season in Grand Rapids, but I believe York will be a better fit.

@NHLDraftGuru

Last edited:

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
You could REALLY go for a change of names. First off, Jones has struggled but at times he has been a brilliant goalie in the AHL. He's obviously going to get a new contract but Dean is going to work on the actual NHL RFAs first. Who the flying **** is JEROME Berube? You mean Jean Francois Berube? I absolutely love Berube. He's still got a lot of potential, room to grow, and seems like a great guy. He can play in the AHL this year if we need him or go back to the ECHL and come along nice and slow, which there is nothing wrong with. But the puzzling part is you call yourself a draft guru and you ignore the fact that the Kings LITERALLY just drafted a goalie. Patrik Bartosak is a pretty damn good prospect. I haven't seen one person say a bad thing about him anywhere on this board. In fact, a lot of posters wish their team took him before we did. Plus we have OHL standout Mathias Neiderberger in Manchester on a tryout/contract or whatever he's got there. If he's good enough for Manchester, he can get an NHL deal with us. Our goalie depth is fine. We really don't another goalie, especially McCollum. And if we do decide to bring in an AHL goalie, the Monarchs would likely bring back Mannino. This really was not a very educated post.

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
You could REALLY go for a change of names. First off, Jones has struggled but at times he has been a brilliant goalie in the AHL. He's obviously going to get a new contract but Dean is going to work on the actual NHL RFAs first. Who the flying **** is JEROME Berube? You mean Jean Francois Berube? I absolutely love Berube. He's still got a lot of potential, room to grow, and seems like a great guy. He can play in the AHL this year if we need him or go back to the ECHL and come along nice and slow, which there is nothing wrong with. But the puzzling part is you call yourself a draft guru and you ignore the fact that the Kings LITERALLY just drafted a goalie. Patrik Bartosak is a pretty damn good prospect. I haven't seen one person say a bad thing about him anywhere on this board. In fact, a lot of posters wish their team took him before we did. Plus we have OHL standout Mathias Neiderberger in Manchester on a tryout/contract or whatever he's got there. If he's good enough for Manchester, he can get an NHL deal with us. Our goalie depth is fine. We really don't another goalie, especially McCollum. And if we do decide to bring in an AHL goalie, the Monarchs would likely bring back Mannino. This really was not a very educated post.

Ok, my bad, wrong Berube. Yes Bartosak is a great goalie, I've seen him many times and he does have potential to be an NHL starter. But I don't feel safe going into the season with Bartosak and Neiderberger. Jones is a good goalie but it would be nice to bring in another guy.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Ok, my bad, wrong Berube. Yes Bartosak is a great goalie, I've seen him many times and he does have potential to be an NHL starter. But I don't feel safe going into the season with Bartosak and Neiderberger. Jones is a good goalie but it would be nice to bring in another guy.

Jones is going to be the starter. We have three options at backup. Berube, Bartosak, and Neiderberger. You admit Bartosak has NHL starter potential, which he does, but you're worried about him being an AHL backup?? I'm sorry I just don't get that logic. The 3 aforementioned goalies not named Jones will battle it out in Manchester for the job of backing up Jones. I'm more than confident about one of them being just fine for that job. There shouldn't be any concern about goaltending in Manchester. I'm more worried about the defense that's going to be playing in front of them.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
nothing to see here

Unusual comment for a second post. I'm not overly concerned in net (doesn't that feel great to say as a Kings fan). DL was comfortable letting Gibson go, which seems a daft move but I guess he can't have shown enough ability. It'l be interesting to see how 'the Bart man' pans out.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Could the Kings do with some additional goalie depth? Yes, definitely... However, I don't think it's a huge issue. Quick is gonna be the #1 guy for the foreseeable future so unless something dramatic happens, the Kings are only really gonna need to find semi-competent back ups, which are available every summer.

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Too bad we don't have zatkoff anymore. :sad:

........why?

Jones at the time was ready to take over as the starter. He was seen as having much better potential and needed ice time but Zatkoff deserved to be an AHL starter. Zatkoff is a good AHL goalie but it was 100% the right move to let him go. And we don't need a goalie at the AHL level. At all.

HolyShot*

........why?

Jones at the time was ready to take over as the starter. He was seen as having much better potential and needed ice time but Zatkoff deserved to be an AHL starter. Zatkoff is a good AHL goalie but it was 100% the right move to let him go. And we don't need a goalie at the AHL level. At all.
Wasn't zatkoff one of the best goalies in the A last year or the year before? I remember him doing really good at wilkes-barre.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Wasn't zatkoff one of the best goalies in the A last year or the year before? I remember him doing really good at wilkes-barre.

He played behind a much better team with a MUCH better defense. The Monarchs defense was not good last year. They had to call up some ECHL players to fill in spots. Not discounting Zats but I'd take Jones over Zatkoff right now 10 out of 10 times because Jones potential is much higher. Zatkoff will be lucky to make it as a journeyman NHL backup. While the Jones has really had his struggles, he's got a much higher potential than Zatkoff. And Jones had some amazing games this year to bail his team out.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
He also came crashing down to earth in the playoffs and had a GAA of over 5.00 and a .890 save %...

Yep. And look at his playoff stats with the Monarchs as well. Meanwhile, Jones was huge for the team in the playoffs this year, even though they lost in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad