The Kings' Depth Chart 10 Years Ago

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Came across this article previewing the 2002-03 Kings and it is rather alarming to see the contrast between team depth and player development then and now. Only three players from that team remain active in the NHL today (Cammalleri, Visnovsky, and Corvo) while a few others remain active in Europe (Belanger, Frolov and Lilja).

Take a gander:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/news/2002/09/25/2002_kingspreview/

So why am I bringing this up now you ask? Well, looking back at when the Kings drafted Dustin Brown, he is the only remaining player with the team from 2003. He made the team his draft year and has never looked back, and it is rather telling to see a kid make the pros as a teenager at 19 and still be with his original team. That is a rare feat that I hope carries on until his retirement, just as Dave Taylor did.

Some pictures from Brown at the 2003 draft:
Brown_03Draft_Kings_672.jpg

b536182b3d63706afc9b5923282db4f1_1M.png

tambellini_boyle_brown_kings_03draft.jpg

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Thank god the Rangers took Jessiman before DT could grab him.

No way was DT not taking Jessiman.

Jokinen (6'2)
Zultek (6'4)
Barney (6'4)
Biron (6'6)
Frolov (6'3)
Karlsson (6'2)
Steckel (6'5)

The 2003 draft was already a disaster for the Kings, and likely cost DT his job. Imagine how awful it would have been without Brown.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Thank god the Rangers took Jessiman before DT could grab him.

No way was DT not taking Jessiman.

Jokinen (6'2)
Zultek (6'4)
Barney (6'4)
Biron (6'6)
Frolov (6'3)
Karlsson (6'2)
Steckel (6'5)

The 2003 draft was already a disaster for the Kings, and likely cost DT his job. Imagine how awful it would have been without Brown.

I was told by Kyle Woodlief (and I do believe he was close to Al Murray) that the Kings wanted Jessiman at 13, and I believe this to be the reason why the team went with a oversized forward with their next pick when they selected Brian Boyle. Remember, back then the Kings were always trying to find a big center to play down the middle.

They made their first attempt at it when they tried to acquire Chris Gratton for Dmitri Khristich (and I think a 1st) but Gratton wouldn't sign with the Kings and he was moved to Philly. They also tried to get Keith Primeau from the Hurricanes before he was dealt, and Philly got themselves another big center there.

I think that's why they were so enamored with Steckel in 2001 then Boyle in 2003, this team just always had an infatuation with size and less on skill. Thankfully they went with the best player available in 2003 as Brown was ranked 2nd overall among North American skaters by Central Scouting.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
You woulda thought that sort of thing left with Barry Melrose as that was his thing too.

Personally I blame Al Murray. Luckily he was also enamored with Anze Kopitar.

Also, we got Boyle, that fits the profile...why Jeff Tambellini, anyone know?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
LA Times article discussing the 2003 draft. Some interesting tidbits that I'll quote:
http://articles.latimes.com/2003/jun/22/sports/sp-kings22
With three picks Saturday in the first round of the NHL entry draft, not to mention a greater need for immediate help, the Kings seemed the most likely of the league's two Southland franchises to make a trade involving draft choices.

But while the Kings took the safe route on the first day of the two-day selection process at Nashville, turning down all offers and holding onto their prized picks, the Mighty Ducks made a deal.

And so the Ducks, after sending two second-round picks to the Dallas Stars for the 28th overall choice in what was widely described as a deep draft, wound up with two first-round selections, stealing a bit of the Kings' thunder.

The Kings, picking 13th, 26th and 27th, took right wing Dustin Brown of Ithaca, N.Y., 6-foot-5 center Brian Boyle of Dorchester, Mass., and left wing Jeff Tambellini of Calgary in the opening round. Tambellini's father, Steve, played 10 seasons in the NHL and is assistant general manager of the Vancouver Canucks.

The Ducks, whose first pick was the 19th overall, took center Ryan Getzlaf of Regina, Canada, and right wing Corey Perry of Peterborough, Canada, in the first round.

It has become a laughable cliche for club executives in any sport to say they're surprised to see players they like still available when it's their turn to pick. But Duck General Manager Bryan Murray backed up his words with action, making a hasty deal when he saw Perry still on the board.

"We moved up to make sure we got him," said Murray, who sent the 36th and 54th picks to the Stars. "We just didn't want to miss the kid."

This is what bothered me most about that draft. The Kings sat on their hands and never made any attempt to move up. What Bryan Murray did, being proactive, is what makes teams successful. That's why the Kings have had success under Dean Lombardi. Taylor and his cronies sat on their laurels and just waited for things to happen as opposed to making things happen. Perhaps that explains why the team was so damned complacent back then.

As for the reason as to why the Kings took Tambellini, I think they had this stupid ass idea that they'd look really clever if they took a right wing (Brown), a big center (Boyle), and a speedy left wing (Tambellini) and eventually put them together to form a line. They literally were thinking of drafting an entire line to play together with the selections they made.

These quotes to wrap up the article are also gold:
Among the Americans selected was Brown, whom the Kings had ranked as the eighth-best prospect in the draft, according to General Manager Dave Taylor. Taylor also said that Brown, 18, might be good enough to play for the Kings next season, possibly among the top six forwards.

In terms of aggressiveness and scoring ability, Taylor said, the 6-0, 195-pound Brown is "similar to Adam Deadmarsh," the Kings' gritty top-line right wing.

Of course, on draft day everybody is a potential All-Star.

To Murray and the Ducks, the 6-2, 195-pound Getzlaf was the eighth-best prospect in the draft. "We thought he would go in the top 10," Murray said. "He slipped for whatever reason -- there's always a reason, I guess -- but [he's got] lots of skill, lots of size."

Murray was right on the money with his picks. And Taylor was right about Brown making the team, albeit being a bit too soon. I think the lockout year in Manchester is what really helped Brown to find his game and we saw him blossom right before our eyes every year thereafter.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm pretty sure the Kings mostly made picks based off the scouting of other publications.

So frustrating to see the organization run like that, with terrible development.

I remember when I went to my first development camp in 2006, and there were new coaches. Barry Brust told my friend it was the first time he reveived any actual instruction in the organization.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm pretty sure the Kings mostly made picks based off the scouting of other publications.

So frustrating to see the organization run like that, with terrible development.

I remember when I went to my first development camp in 2006, and there were new coaches. Barry Brust told my friend it was the first time he reveived any actual instruction in the organization.

That sounds about right with the Kings relying heavily on publications. I seem to recall the Kings taking quite a few guys that Kyle Woodlief had ranked high. The Kings were also rather wasteful of 2nd round selections under the old regime: Bednar, Lilja, Anshakov, Pushkarev, Roussin, Fast, Shefer... it was also rather rare for them to draft NHL talent outside of the first round, with the exceptions being Cammalleri, Visnovsky, Corvo and Parros.

It's a good thing they listened to their Massachusetts based head scout at the time of the 2005 draft when they selected Quick in the 3rd round. Prior to Quick, the last goalie of any substance that they had drafted was way back in 2001 with Cristobal Huet, who was an overage pick and a good gamble to take in the 7th round. Their second attempt to take a foreign goalie resulted in Yutaka Fukufuji.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I remember being on my honeymoon in Maui and checking the paper the next day to see who we drafted.

Also remember being upset that we didn't pick Perry.

Thank the Lord for Dean Lombardi.

HolyShot*

I was told by Kyle Woodlief (and I do believe he was close to Al Murray) that the Kings wanted Jessiman at 13, and I believe this to be the reason why the team went with a oversized forward with their next pick when they selected Brian Boyle. Remember, back then the Kings were always trying to find a big center to play down the middle.

They made their first attempt at it when they tried to acquire Chris Gratton for Dmitri Khristich (and I think a 1st) but Gratton wouldn't sign with the Kings and he was moved to Philly. They also tried to get Keith Primeau from the Hurricanes before he was dealt, and Philly got themselves another big center there.

I think that's why they were so enamored with Steckel in 2001 then Boyle in 2003, this team just always had an infatuation with size and less on skill. Thankfully they went with the best player available in 2003 as Brown was ranked 2nd overall among North American skaters by Central Scouting.

So, in drafting brown, did DT see his playing style or his skill?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
So, in drafting brown, did DT see his playing style or his skill?

Well, he compared him to Adam Deadmarsh, and at the time of the draft, it seemed uncertain if Deadmarsh would resume his playing career, so my guess is that they viewed Brown as his successor, which is probably why they had already penciled Brown into the Kings' lineup to start the 2003-04 season.

HolyShot*

Well, he compared him to Adam Deadmarsh, and at the time of the draft, it seemed uncertain if Deadmarsh would resume his playing career, so my guess is that they viewed Brown as his successor, which is probably why they had already penciled Brown into the Kings' lineup to start the 2003-04 season.

Ya. His inner deadmarsh came out during the cup run. Only time I've ever seen it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Ya. His inner deadmarsh came out during the cup run. Only time I've ever seen it.

He's done it a few times during the regular season as well.

Let's not make it seem like Brown's only had one good season. When he's on top of his game, he can be very dangerous. He has that same innate ability as Deadmarsh in having that extra gear and elevating his game when he's counted upon. Just look at his determined play from Brown on the game tying goal that Kopitar scored against the Blues in Game 4.

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
LA Times article discussing the 2003 draft. Some interesting tidbits that I'll quote:
http://articles.latimes.com/2003/jun/22/sports/sp-kings22

This is what bothered me most about that draft. The Kings sat on their hands and never made any attempt to move up. What Bryan Murray did, being proactive, is what makes teams successful. That's why the Kings have had success under Dean Lombardi. Taylor and his cronies sat on their laurels and just waited for things to happen as opposed to making things happen. Perhaps that explains why the team was so damned complacent back then.

As for the reason as to why the Kings took Tambellini, I think they had this stupid ass idea that they'd look really clever if they took a right wing (Brown), a big center (Boyle), and a speedy left wing (Tambellini) and eventually put them together to form a line. They literally were thinking of drafting an entire line to play together with the selections they made.

These quotes to wrap up the article are also gold:

Murray was right on the money with his picks. And Taylor was right about Brown making the team, albeit being a bit too soon. I think the lockout year in Manchester is what really helped Brown to find his game and we saw him blossom right before our eyes every year thereafter.

What bothered me most about this quote was the very first sentence....

"With three picks Saturday in the first round of the NHL entry draft, not to mention a greater need for immediate help, the Kings seemed the most likely of the league's two Southland franchises to make a trade involving draft choices."

the use of a superlative adjective where a comparative adjective is clearly called for... #MoreLikely

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
Wow, minus that top line that roster is horrible. So many bad memories.

surprisingly, that defense wasn't terrible. I know Modry and Corvo were whipping boys (still don't agree with that), but they served a job and did it decently. Plus, Corvo was the most clutch defensive scorer i've ever seen. Lilja got a lot of crap when he was here, but went to Detroit where he was serviceable 3rd pair. I don't think he was ever that bad.

Regarding Craig Johnson. I still crack up when I remember some poster writing that CJ was like a cockroach you couldn't get rid of. You could bomb Staple center then nuke it and all that would be left would be Craig Johnson

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I remember that season. I was so happy that my family could finally afford cable so I was able to watch every Kings game. But before that, I either watched with my neighbor or listened to the radio.

Huet FTW

Jun 30, 2006
Couple things...

1.) Our player development was crap back then.
2.) We didn't put much if any resources to scouting, small budget just like player development. AEG was cheap in that regard, but to be fair AEG built the Kings some top notch facilities.
3.) There was no clear leader in regards to the FO. DT had the right idea but couldn't figure out how to implement his plans. Lieweekly meddled a lot.

Combine all those factors and you have a franchise headed to suck, real quick. Dean Lombardi obviously came in and cleaned house from the bottom to the top and addressed all these issues above. He turned this franchise into a well oiled machine.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
There was a lot of hype over Jessiman. The NHL was still enamored with size and at 6 foot 6, 220 lbs and the nickname "Huge Specimen" the Kings dodged a bullet here. And I think in 2003 they measured player fitness by the old eyeball test which the Kings still used when they got Jeremy Roenick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad