The kids are alright

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I really cannot see how Wennberg stays. He is a play-making center, not a winger. Dano? Fits like a glove on the third line as a wing where he could score 15-18 goals. Wennberg show no offensive potential as a wing. He should go to Springfield and be the first line center on that team, getting lots of face-off practice. Somebody has to go when Boone comes back. I say it should be Wennberg back to Springfield.

I agree. I would prefer to see Dano there as well because...

I want to remind folks of the "big brother" theory of player development. A disproportionate number of players are the oldest of their set of siblings. Why? Because they get years of practice against inferior competition, which enables them to learn by trying new things.

Another version of the same theory, put forward by Malcolm Gladwell, looks at the hugely disproportionate number of NHL players born in months immediately following age cut-offs. The same principle is at work: being a bit more mature than everyone else lets you try things and grow as a player.

19 and 20 year olds don't really get to try new things at the NHL level, unless they're Nathan Mackinnon. For that reason, the AHL is a better place to learn. Wennberg, Dano, etc.. yeah, the kids are good enough to play in the NHL, but the AHL might make them better years down the road.

I'd like to see a study where you look at the production of players who get extra time in the AHL due to some exogenous factor like a lockout or strike. I know this applies to Atkinson, Spezza, Cammaleri, etc... It could confirm or disprove my theory.

It exists. Look at the 2003 draft; those guys got a year in the AHL during the lockout of 2005.

BTW, I really wouldn't be surprised if Murray and maybe Jenner got a conditioning assignment in Springfield before they return to full time duty.

I think it makes good sense. Let them get acclimated at a little slower pace.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
BTW, I really wouldn't be surprised if Murray and maybe Jenner got a conditioning assignment in Springfield before they return to full time duty.

I would. To me they are established NHL players. You wouldn't send Johansen back down, nor would you send Dubinsky. Richards already said if Murray was ready come opening night he would be in the lineup. Its not like they're not practicing. Even Jenner is practicing with a broken hand.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I agree. I would prefer to see Dano there as well because...

It exists. Look at the 2003 draft; those guys got a year in the AHL during the lockout of 2005.

I forgot that it applied to the 2003 draft players. That's pretty good evidence.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would. To me they are established NHL players. You wouldn't send Johansen back down, nor would you send Dubinsky. Richards already said if Murray was ready come opening night he would be in the lineup. Its not like they're not practicing. Even Jenner is practicing with a broken hand.
Sure, they can play at the NHL level now. But the theory is that they can do even better, eventually. An experimental environment can help a great deal with that. Thus, a conditioning assignment. I think it makes good sense.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Sure, they can play at the NHL level now. But the theory is that they can do even better, eventually. An experimental environment can help a great deal with that. Thus, a conditioning assignment. I think it makes good sense.

It doesn't matter if it makes sense. Do you really think they are going to do it? Especially, when they already said one of them would be on the NHL team right now if they were ready. How many established NHL'ers have done this? I'm guessing very few

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I can't say I agree. Elite players need elite competition to push themselves and become better. If it were Dano or Wennberg I would absolutely agree that they should go back down, but Jenner and especially Murray need to come back into the NHL. Murray should be a 3yr vet if it weren't for his shoulder injury. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I do agree though some players need seasoning (Erixon, Atkinson, Chaput, Savard) but players of elite capabilities and thought process on the ice need to be playing against the best competition possible.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I can't say I agree. Elite players need elite competition to push themselves and become better. If it were Dano or Wennberg I would absolutely agree that they should go back down, but Jenner and especially Murray need to come back into the NHL. Murray should be a 3yr vet if it weren't for his shoulder injury. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I do agree though some players need seasoning (Erixon, Atkinson, Chaput, Savard) but players of elite capabilities and thought process on the ice need to be playing against the best competition possible.

I think you are missing the point about a conditioning assignment. It's only to help the player get his game shape back on without screwing up the Jackets or for that matter the player. Think of it as a training camp after a prolonged absence due to injury. Probably three or four games at most.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think you are missing the point about a conditioning assignment. It's only to help the player get his game shape back on without screwing up the Jackets or for that matter the player. Think of it as a training camp after a prolonged absence due to injury. Probably three or four games at most.

I can see a case being made for Murray to go down as he didn't participate in training camp or pre-season because of his injury. But not Jenner, he looked primed and ready to go. Either way I highly doubt either of them see any time in the AHL.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
One kink is the fact that Wennberg and Dano are not from the CHL, they are from the SHL and KHL where they played against older opponents and were frequently used in the bottom-6.

So they aren't like, say, Kerby Rychel who got top line minutes all season long against young opponents.

Wennberg was fourth best in points for Djurgården and second best goal scorer for Frölunda. Against professional players and his main game isn't even scoring points. If he showed nothing spectacular in second game at least he controlled the team's puck possession very well.

I'd like to see a study where you look at the production of players who get extra time in the AHL due to some exogenous factor like a lockout or strike. I know this applies to Atkinson, Spezza, Cammaleri, etc... It could confirm or disprove my theory.

Level of competition is better in other leagues during NHL lockout. It's also more stable environment without all those call-ups/downs to NHL/AHL during lockout.

But hockey landscape has also changed since those days... Ten years ago Russia didn't attract foreign players ranging in ability somewhere between modern KHL/NHL standards... For example KHL today is a league lot closer to NHL nowadays with the best coaches in Europe (if not in the whole world...) coaching there.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Credit goes to the incredible three 2013 first round picks by Jarmo Kekäläinen: Alexander Wennberg, Sweden C; Kerby Rychel, Canada LW, and Marko Dano, Slovakia C….

I’m thinking that draft by Kek may end up being one of the best and having a Euro GM might be paying off, the current mix of veterans and youth on the CBJ has never been better….

I doubt both Dano and Wennbrug stay up after Jenner returns but one of the two is a lock... I'm liking Wennberg....

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Credit goes to the incredible three 2013 first round picks by Jarmo Kekäläinen: Alexander Wennberg, Sweden C; Kerby Rychel, Canada LW, and Marko Dano, Slovakia C….

I’m thinking that draft by Kek may end up being one of the best and having a Euro GM might be paying off, the current mix of veterans and youth on the CBJ has never been better….

I doubt both Dano and Wennbrug stay up after Jenner returns but one of the two is a lock... I'm liking Wennberg....
there's at least 5 guys from that draft with good chances at becoming NHLers (Bjorkstrand and Heatherington in addition to the 1st rounders)

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
there's at least 5 guys from that draft with good chances at becoming NHLers (Bjorkstrand and Heatherington in addition to the 1st rounders)

There are so many new names coming up from the draft it's hard to know them all.... this I can say, it's a new day in Columbus NHL hockey.... the organization has never been run better!

Just a note for Scott Howson, he got Bob and many of the current players too...

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
Kek's first draft does look quite stunning, that's for sure.

But the majority of this team was built and drafted by Howson. He should get a large part of the credit, although I do think some of it was blind squirrel finds flying acorn type stuff.

But the Bob trade, the Nash trade, and the picks of Jenner and Johansen have really paid off for this team. Now to supplement that with what looks like 3 hits in the first round by Kek, and a few other hits in later rounds...should be fun.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Kek's first draft does look quite stunning, that's for sure.

But the majority of this team was built and drafted by Howson. He should get a large part of the credit, although I do think some of it was blind squirrel finds flying acorn type stuff.

But the Bob trade, the Nash trade, and the picks of Jenner and Johansen have really paid off for this team. Now to supplement that with what looks like 3 hits in the first round by Kek, and a few other hits in later rounds...should be fun.

Howson drafted/acquired basically the entire current D corps, right? And Bob, Foligno, Joey, Cam, Letestu, Calvert, Anisimov, Dubinsky.

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
Howson drafted/acquired basically the entire current D corps, right? And Bob, Foligno, Joey, Cam, Letestu, Calvert, Anisimov, Dubinsky.

I believe that's correct.

Kek really hasn't done much other than his first draft, a few pieces here and there and re-signing some guys.

The talent has been, almost universally, Howson's. The problem for Howson was that he couldn't escape his other draft picks, most notably, Filatov. His 2nd round picks were nearly universally busts, especially Dalton Smith who...nevermind. The only one of his 2nd rounders to amount to anything was Boone Jenner.

He did a very good job of building a team in the later rounds. He routinely managed to get good players in 4th or later. But his faults will mostly lay with his routine busts at the top of drafts.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011

Kek really hasn't done much other than his first draft, a few pieces here and there and re-signing some guys.

The talent has been, almost universally, Howson's. The problem for Howson was that he couldn't escape his other draft picks, most notably, Filatov. His 2nd round picks were nearly universally busts, especially Dalton Smith who...nevermind. The only one of his 2nd rounders to amount to anything was Boone Jenner.

He did a very good job of building a team in the later rounds. He routinely managed to get good players in 4th or later. But his faults will mostly lay with his routine busts at the top of drafts.

Howson really was a victim of his failure to understand the importance of the draft. The improvements he made to the team were significant, but his repeated failure to build through the draft (the single most important part of a GM's job) is really what killed him. Add to that the Carter disaster and it didn't matter what else he did Howson was doomed in Columbus. You just can't whiff on that many high level draft picks and staff/coaching decisions.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Howson really was a victim of his failure to understand the importance of the draft. The improvements he made to the team were significant, but his repeated failure to build through the draft (the single most important part of a GM's job) is really what killed him. Add to that the Carter disaster and it didn't matter what else he did Howson was doomed in Columbus. You just can't whiff on that many high level draft picks and staff/coaching decisions.

I don't think enough emphasis is being placed on the role Jarmo's and JD have played in creating a different atmosphere in Columbus. Many of the players may have been collected by Howson, but I think their performance has resulted from the attitude and experience brought into town by those two. The clear expression of goals and direction from the top is the foundation for the image and style the CBJ are becoming known for around the league.

In the past, there was always enough blame to go around, so we can now be pleased that equal amounts of praise are available to be shared by all who have contributed to a much more entertaining product on the ice, including Scott Howson. In fact, even X-GMHC DMc deserves credit for the work he did in establishing big time hockey in Central Ohio. I'm really in a very expansive mood today!

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

I seem to recall an insistence that a certain #1 was a #1 goalie in this league...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think enough emphasis is being placed on the role Jarmo's and JD have played in creating a different atmosphere in Columbus. Many of the players may have been collected by Howson, but I think their performance has resulted from the attitude and experience brought into town by those two. The clear expression of goals and direction from the top is the foundation for the image and style the CBJ are becoming known for around the league.

In the past, there was always enough blame to go around, so we can now be pleased that equal amounts of praise are available to be shared by all who have contributed to a much more entertaining product on the ice, including Scott Howson. In fact, even X-GMHC DMc deserves credit for the work he did in establishing big time hockey in Central Ohio. I'm really in a very expansive mood today!

I agree.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio

**cough**
Scott.
**cough**
Arniel.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I think you hit the nail on the head. Yes Howson did draft/acquire the majority of our big time players now, but there was no accountability from the front office. And it was almost as soon as JD came into the picture he made it known that the county club mentality would not be accepted. We are here to build a winning franchise not just a middle of the pact team year in and year out. And knowing that it had to be a brick by brick approach the hiring of JK helped solidify that train of thought throughout the organization. Successful organizations are built with a sturdy base from within aka consistently drafting players who will push others already on the team for spots.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013

As far as I can tell the culture change came from a combination of JD and the new players Howson acquired - Foligno, Dubinsky, JJ, Bob, etc... Its hard to find anything solid culture-wise to attribute to Jarmo.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

This is all completely wrong. Don't you guys read Mayor Bee's posts? :sarcasm:

Seriously, though, you guys have no clue. Players from Howson's first two drafts: Voracek, Calvert, Atkinson, are just now ripening into their primes. Building through the draft is a long-term process. It does not build winners in the short run. A rigorous comparison of Howson's picks with those picks immediately before and after shows that Howson, on average, outperformed other GM's.

I simply have no idea what you mean that Howson had a "failure to understand the importance of the draft." Is there any evidence for this? It is widely agreed that good drafting is how you build teams, and I haven't heard a thing to suggest Howson believed otherwise.

Howson's problem was that he didn't do a particularly good job of organizing the meager level of talent that he was given to start with. Mistakes like handing the keys to Steve Mason and Scott Arniel cost him what little chance he had.

Jarmo, on the other hand, can screw up over and over again, and it wouldn't really matter, because of Howson's drafting; the cupboards came well-stocked, it doesn't really matter if you lose a little on a trade here and there.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is all completely wrong. Don't you guys read Mayor Bee's posts? :sarcasm:

Seriously, though, you guys have no clue. Players from Howson's first two drafts: Voracek, Calvert, Atkinson, are just now ripening into their primes. Building through the draft is a long-term process. It does not build winners in the short run. A rigorous comparison of Howson's picks with those picks immediately before and after shows that Howson, on average, outperformed other GM's.

I simply have no idea what you mean that Howson had a "failure to understand the importance of the draft." Is there any evidence for this? It is widely agreed that good drafting is how you build teams, and I haven't heard a thing to suggest Howson believed otherwise.

Howson's problem was that he didn't do a particularly good job of organizing the meager level of talent that he was given to start with. Mistakes like handing the keys to Steve Mason and Scott Arniel cost him what little chance he had.

Jarmo, on the other hand, can screw up over and over again, and it wouldn't really matter, because of Howson's drafting; the cupboards came well-stocked, it doesn't really matter if you lose a little on a trade here and there.
You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

Seriously, the draft is probably the biggest thing Howson did right and did damn well. The lack of quality youth available to his teams was almost entirely due to Doug MacLean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad