The KHL World Games

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
There was an interesting article about this event in Wien on Hokejportal. For KHL haters like balsam to their ears, for KHL fans maybe too harsh. I wasnt there, so i cant say, if thats true or not. Highlights:

- Russian stars, that for sure knows to talk in English, simply ignore questions in English
- Nikita Gusev after game vs Slovan: We played only a game. I dont think, Wien need a KHL team. Ice hockey arena is nothing special, saw this when i was a child in Germany.
- No existing Fan Shop
- plus naturally demolishing Slovan in every game

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
There was an interesting article about this event in Wien on Hokejportal. For KHL haters like balsam to their ears, for KHL fans maybe too harsh. I wasnt there, so i cant say, if thats true or not. Highlights:

- Russian stars, that for sure knows to talk in English, simply ignore questions in English
- Nikita Gusev after game vs Slovan: We played only a game. I dont think, Wien need a KHL team. Ice hockey arena is nothing special, saw this when i was a child in Germany.
- No existing Fan Shop
- plus naturally demolishing Slovan in every game
After this embarrassment Slovan has no place in the league. As for Viena, from the marketing perspective having a KHL team there would be great.
I would literally go every year for CSKA games and then ski in the alps

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
After this embarrassment Slovan has no place in the league. As for Viena, from the marketing perspective having a KHL team there would be great.
I would literally go every year for CSKA games and then ski in the alps
Are there any plans to build new arena in Vienna? I can not imagine the KHL accepts a Vienna team with current arena. Yes, the team can play a season or two in current arena while new one is under construction. No problem. But without a real plan for new arena? Really?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Are there any plans to build new arena in Vienna? I can not imagine the KHL accepts a Vienna team with current arena. Yes, the team can play a season or two in current arena while new one is under construction. No problem. But without a real plan for new arena? Really?
Just being selfish :)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Just being selfish :)
Fine, if you want to go skiing in Alps, I see no different between Vienna & Bratislava. It is even cheaper in Bratislava. ;)

But yes, I see your reasons for a KHL team in Vienna. That would be better location than Bratislava if modern arena. Austria is more wealthy nation.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Fine, if you want to go skiing in Alps, I see no different between Vienna & Bratislava. It is even cheaper in Bratislava. ;)

But yes, I see your reasons for a KHL team in Vienna. That would be better location than Bratislava if modern arena. Austria is more wealthy nation.

But it is not so crazy after ice-hockey as here in Slovakia. If they buy a new arena, i cant imagine that they could have 10 000 people.

After they will make a hyperloop from Wien to Bratislava, Austrian ice-hockey fans could consider Slovan as their team. :D

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

The Slovan games just never match my schedule, for Viena games I would make time, I love the city

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The Slovan games just never match my schedule, for Viena games I would make time, I love the city
Ok. My point is that you can travel from Vienna to Bratislava within an hour. Or even earlier. On the other hand, I see. It is a negative thing of Bratislava to be close to Vienna. Tourists target Vienna, and even if they visit Bratislava, it is for a few hours and coming back to Vienna. Nothing to see in Bratislava. :thumbd:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Ok. My point is that you can travel from Vienna to Bratislava within an hour. Or even earlier. On the other hand, I see. It is a negative thing of Bratislava to be close to Vienna. Tourists target Vienna, and even if they visit Bratislava, it is for a few hours and coming back to Vienna. Nothing to see in Bratislava. :thumbd:
Last time I was there, I didn't make to Bratislava, I was told - not much to see, so I went to Budapest instead. Anyhow, closer to the topic, if slovan doesn't make themselves more competitive - they will be out of the league soon.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Last time I was there, I didn't make to Bratislava, I was told - not much to see, so I went to Budapest instead. Anyhow, closer to the topic, if slovan doesn't make themselves more competitive - they will be out of the league soon.
Yeap, I did not mention Budapest, did not want to go too much offtopic.

Yeah, you are right with Slovan. I want Slovan to stay, but reality is reality. There is a reason why the KHL picked relatively bad Vienna arena for promotion. And you read this.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Yeap, I did not mention Budapest, did not want to go too much offtopic.

Yeah, you are right with Slovan. I want Slovan to stay, but reality is reality. There is a reason why the KHL picked relatively bad Vienna arena for promotion. And you read this.
That's just football though. I like the idea of Slovan in the league - storied franchise and so on. They just need to be better.

Reactions: Marky1999 and vorky

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Alexei Morozov: This year, like last year, we’re planning to take some games on the road. Unfortunately, we can’t go to Germany or Hungary. The current option is the UAE. We’re in talks, but we can’t announce anything until the paperwork is signed. We will do everything we can to ensure that we get at least one event as part of the KHL World Games. The Emirates does not have a dedicated hockey arena, but they have the technology and the venues to put on a game in Abu Dhabi or in Dubai.

source

Reactions: Rigafan

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Guessing the next chapter.

1280px-Coca-Cola_Arena_-_15_Nov_2019_.jpg

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
According to Russian media, Dubai may want to have its own KHL team; I reckon they might have one before London, Paris, etc - what does anyone else think?

Генсек Спортивного совета Дубая: «Почему бы не создать клуб КХЛ в Эмиратах?» - 17 октября 2021 - Sport24
I can describe a few key characteristics of the process. And you can make your resume.

The early reports appeared in media in 2018 when the Arab (not so Arab) side refreshed the interest. The guys behind the project are Vladimir Burdun & Dmitri Butenko. Financing is already secured, the Canadian & Swiss corporations. The project is supported by KHL BoD members Alexander Medvedev & Alexander Krylov. Btw, Krylov is behind the 2021 KHL World Games. They originaly had a problem with a lack of appropriate arena - btw. the problem is already solved with Coca-Cola Arena.

Reactions: rohky

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
Umm, why? Did the KHL look at the NHL "growing the game" in the desert, see the brilliant success of the Arizona Coytes franchise and think that they would like their very own Dubai Coyotes?

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
Umm, why? Did the KHL look at the NHL "growing the game" in the desert, see the brilliant success of the Arizona Coytes franchise and think that they would like their very own Dubai Coyotes?
I agree that there likely won't be much interest in hockey there, but there's significantly more money in Dubai than Scottsdale

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
According to Russian media, Dubai may want to have its own KHL team; I reckon they might have one before London, Paris, etc - what does anyone else think?

Генсек Спортивного совета Дубая: «Почему бы не создать клуб КХЛ в Эмиратах?» - 17 октября 2021 - Sport24

Playing the 'World Games' there sure, hell even take a regular season game there as a spectacle! But having a full time team? I'm not so sure.

Any area can grow a fanbase but how slowly would this one grow? Could they have 5/6/7/8k fans for each home game of the season? Look a the absolute mess with Kunlun!

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

I doubt the objective would be to grow the game there. League exposure elsewhere would probably be the objective considering Dubai is a major global tourist attraction with $$$ everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
I agree that there likely won't be much interest in hockey there, but there's significantly more money in Dubai than Scottsdale
I doubt the objective would be to grow the game there. League exposure elsewhere would probably be the objective considering Dubai is a major global tourist attraction with $$$ everywhere.
I see your points that Dubai is a really rich venue, but I'm not exactly sure what a game there really accomplishes for the league, beyond a stunt. And it is definitely a disaster if they want to put a team there.

It feels like a smarter decision would be to do games in Shanghai or other parts of China to boost interest for Kunlun instead.

I just don't see the point or any real benefits of this. But if anyone wants to point some out, I'll keep an open mind. It'd be interesting to hear what their strategy (if there is one) is behind this.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I see your points that Dubai is a really rich venue, but I'm not exactly sure what a game there really accomplishes for the league, beyond a stunt. And it is definitely a disaster if they want to put a team there.

It feels like a smarter decision would be to do games in Shanghai or other parts of China to boost interest for Kunlun instead.

I just don't see the point or any real benefits of this. But if anyone wants to point some out, I'll keep an open mind. It'd be interesting to hear what their strategy (if there is one) is behind this.
It is great you keep your mind open.

I always say, follow the process. The KHL World Games are here for (1) exploring the market, (2) showcase for business partners & new teams owners. It is very likely the KHL will invite some VIP guests. If speaking about Dubai, all events are part of the Expo 2020 (2021). It is a key reason for picking Dubai. The KHL considered other locations (namely Hungary & Germany) as well.

As I said above, the KHL is in touch with UAE based investors for a couple of years. The 2021 KHL World Games is the first events of their partnership

Reactions: Rufus T Firefly

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
I can describe a few key characteristics of the process. And you can make your resume.

The early reports appeared in media in 2018 when the Arab (not so Arab) side refreshed the interest. The guys behind the project are Vladimir Burdun & Dmitri Butenko. Financing is already secured, the Canadian & Swiss corporations. The project is supported by KHL BoD members Alexander Medvedev & Alexander Krylov. Btw, Krylov is behind the 2021 KHL World Games. They originaly had a problem with a lack of appropriate arena - btw. the problem is already solved with Coca-Cola Arena.

Thanks for your explanation :)

Reactions: vorky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad