The Kent Nilsson move

matnor

Oct 3, 2009
Boston
I'm just curious about the move Forsberg made famous in the 1994 olympic final, which nowadays is quite common for players to use in shootouts. In Sweden, this move is generally credited to Kent Nilsson, and I believe it's after the goal he scored in the IIHF WC game against the US in 1989. Does anyone know if this was the first time this move was used? Did Nilsson or anyone else do it in the NHL prior to that?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
2 very sweet goals, but no info to add, never saw a goal like that before 89 but someone else might have more access to game film and archives.

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
Arne Hegerfors, the Swedish commentator during the 1994 Olympics, called it an Ulf Sterner move, which makes sense. I don't have any more specifics than that.

Forsberg would probably have picked up the move from Kent Nisson though.

Magic

Oct 20, 2010
The first time

I'm just curious about the move Forsberg made famous in the 1994 olympic final, which nowadays is quite common for players to use in shootouts. In Sweden, this move is generally credited to Kent Nilsson, and I believe it's after the goal he scored in the IIHF WC game against the US in 1989. Does anyone know if this was the first time this move was used? Did Nilsson or anyone else do it in the NHL prior to that?

I am in Winnipeg and as a kid my friends and I would cut school and go to Jet's practices. Kent was 22 at the time and he would stay after and practice shooting and doing funky moves so it is quite clear that he was the original artist of this move. Obviously he may have tried it in Europe but the first time on North American televison came in 1977 when the Jet's had a half-hour local television show call "Playdown" or "Showdown" whereby the players would compete with each other in a shootout situation. It was different from what we see today in that in addition to blazing down from centre ice they would shoot and approach from other areas of the ice. I say him perform this move coming out of the corner. The slugheads in hockey will criticize Kent for his lack of defence or passion, but like Gretzky said Kent was the one of the most offensively skilled players ever to play the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad