The JVR at center experiment

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
i know it got played down soon after randy carlyle mentioned the idea right after the trade
but he did mention he wanted to try him there in practice to see how he looks, as long as we haven't acquired a #1 center from anyone.

He's big, fast and has good hands:

Lupul VanReimsdyk Kessel
McCarthur Grabovsky Kulemin
Frattin Bozak Komarov

Bozak makes a good #3 center

It's worth a try

JMcLeaf

Would be nice if it worked out.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Lupul-Kadri-Kessel.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This has been blown out of proportion.

It was merely suggested that he could try out at the position but I highly doubt anyone of the Leafs is counting on that aspect to play out in there favor, especially with a very short training camp.

Apr 1, 2010
BEtter off Kessel between JVR and Lupul.

Unless we get a true #1 lets just leave the 1st line alone and solidify the 2nd and 3rd lines so they can contribute.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
JVR had lots of time to work on faceoffs. Man if he was to work out at centre that would solve a huge problem going forward.

I have significant doubts though.

DoubleDose86

Nov 23, 2010
Toronto
If it works out great. Accidentally finding someone to play #1 centre would be great.

However, realistically it will be bozak again. But with how Kessel and Lupul did with him last year this may not be a problem.

2 yrs ago our second line was clicking, last year it was our #1 line.

Maybe JVR comes in and clicks with Grabo like Lupul did with Kessel (not as many points, but still dependable when they're out there.)

Kessely Snipes

Great White North
Oct 16, 2011
Regina, SK
This has been blown out of proportion.

It was merely suggested that he could try out at the position but I highly doubt anyone of the Leafs is counting on that aspect to play out in there favor, especially with a very short training camp.

Exactly this. Don't want to ask too much of him.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
randy should try it in practice at least
what if it works?
then BB doesnt have to mortage a big chunk of future or 7 mil per for a proven star
and what if we never get that proven star
it's been so long

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If they were able to have pre-season games it's something they would have tried because in the end those results don't mean anything. However given that there will be a short training camp I don't think they should try it now.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
File this one under "silly ideas that should never be considered".

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I cant wait to see JvR play at any F position. Dont really care if its wing or C.

Me too. Lost in the shuffle of the lockout is the fact that we still haven't seen the talent we traded a recent 5th overall pick for. I can't say I ever focused in on JVR with the Flyers so I'm essentially getting my first look at him.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
randy should try it in practice at least
what if it works?
then BB doesnt have to mortage a big chunk of future or 7 mil per for a proven star
and what if we never get that proven star
it's been so long

you really can't tell if it "works" in practice. you need to give something 10-20 games to figure that out.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

Unless we get a true #1 lets just leave the 1st line alone and solidify the 2nd and 3rd lines so they can contribute.
How would Kessel be a better center? He can't cover a 1st line C. We need a center that can play man to man coverage, Bozak is terrible man to man because he's so small and weak.

mt99808

Oct 21, 2010

hhhhwwwwhhhhattt??

Kessel can't even hold his position along the boards for a breakout, how the hell would he play behind his own net?

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
Bozak is the best fit between Kessel and Lupul. Maybe JVR could flourish at C but probably not, and Bozak has great chemistry with Kessel who has great chemistry with Lupul. That line was beast last season, no need to pick at it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad