Speculation: The Julien dilemma

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Talk radio this morning is toxic in Montreal today and Michel Therrien is taking the brunt of it.

One name keeps popping up to replace him as coach - Claude Julien if available. The Bruins dilemma is simple, if they decide to go in another direction do they want to see Julien hired by their biggest rival.

Every team looking for a coach is waiting to see what the Bruins are going to do.

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
Works for me I seem to remember him getting the axe there before for a second round elimination to Tampa Bay. He'd be one and done with them again just like NJ...

:handclap:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Talk radio this morning is toxic in Montreal today and Michel Therrien is taking the brunt of it.

One name keeps popping up to replace him as coach - Claude Julien if available. The Bruins dilemma is simple, if they decide to go in another direction do they want to see Julien hired by their biggest rival.

Every team looking for a coach is waiting to see what the Bruins are going to do.
Let the bidding begin!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Given this, and the fact that they would want to toss Therrien (who I despise) to the curb after leading MTL to the ECF's last year and the 2nd seed in the East (this season)...

Why would Clode want to go back there and coach?

Last edited:

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
While that probably would come back to bite us in the ass, because who are we kidding, it's called BRUINS. I feel like that shouldn't be a deciding factor for our future, we need to get better not worry about other teams getting better.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
There will be a ton of interest in Julien if he becomes available. If the Habs fire Therrien, I can't say they won't be interested in Julien because he'll be the best coach available that can speak French. There's a history there whether or not it's for the better.

But the thing that is killing the Habs this season is the same thing that killed our team - lack of offense. I think they'll go with a more offensive minded coach if both teams making a coaching change.

PurpleShamrock

Dec 29, 2005
New England
Given this, and the fact that they would want to toss Therrien (who I despise) to the curb after leading MTL to the ECF's last year and the 2nd seed in the East...

On that same note, why would anyone want to go there and coach? Seems like a pretty thankless job to me...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Given this, and the fact that they would want to toss Therrien (who I despise) to the curb after leading MTL to the ECF's last year and the 2nd seed in the East (this season)...

I`ll wager Claude winds up in San Jose if he goes anywhere

I`d like to see Claude coach a (fingers crossed) faster/skilled Bruins

Team often in top 5 with a slow-ish group over the years, be interesting to watch a quick B`s team

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Therrien's not going anywhere, look at that roster and see how much better they would be with Julien, not much. As for the B's, it's time to move on from the Julien era, don't care where he goes.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Doesn't Therrien have a new 4year deal also kicking in next season?

We have to do what's best for our team, if we only watch what the habs are doing we won't get far.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
On that same note, why would anyone want to go there and coach? Seems like a pretty thankless job to me...

Because it is. Nobody in Montreal pays any attention to any other sport- it is all Habs all the time. At least Toronto has the Blue Jays & the Raptors so they get some respite from the Maple Leafs' latest debacles.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Because it is. Nobody in Montreal pays any attention to any other sport- it is all Habs all the time. At least Toronto has the Blue Jays & the Raptors so they get some respite from the Maple Leafs' latest debacles.

to be semi-fair, they have a CFL team and a MLS team, but regardless, it`s a hockey city first, everything second, always will be, always has been

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
I`ll wager Claude winds up in San Jose if he goes anywhere

I`d like to see Claude coach a (fingers crossed) faster/skilled Bruins

Team often in top 5 with a slow-ish group over the years, be interesting to watch a quick B`s team

could he handle it? I think he cherishes his defense too much. There were times this year when the best chance the Bruins had of scoring would have been Rask skating up the ice.

skullguise

Nov 13, 2007
North Andover, MA
The scary, and maybe a bit funny, part is that the Habs board is whining about MT for many similar things we've sometimes whined about w/r/t Clode: grinding style over offensive flair, playing the wrong players on wrong lines and at wrong times, too much defense-first, playing vets over the kids, etc.

I think Clode is way ahead of Therrien for coaching ability, but I wonder if this happened would they still be saying the same thing down the line....

PurpleShamrock

Dec 29, 2005
New England
I'm with you. With all his faults he is still better than anyone else available.

Many times you're better off with the devil you know than the one you don't know.

If they hire from within (which seems most likely at this point), then I'm guessing he'll get another year. Of course, that's pure speculation on my part...

to be semi-fair, they have a CFL team and a MLS team, but regardless, it`s a hockey city first, everything second, always will be, always has been

If I remember correctly, there was some buzz around the Expos in '94, when they looked like they had a pretty solid team. But the strike seemed to take the wind out of their sails, and the franchise never recovered.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
pffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttt.............

"we want Babcock".

"Hes not French speaking"

"Oh yeah........****..............we want Claude"

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Just have to wait until Chicago wins their Cup this year- then grab that assistant coach they have and let Claude move on to "greener" pastures.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
How much better would the Habs do under Clode though? Clode is a better coach than MT, no doubt, but he needs a specific type of roster to succeed and I don't know that the Habs have it. They're faster than the Bruins but they're also smaller and less physical. Habs fans keep complaining about how Therrien plays a grinding, dump and chase, defensive oriented hockey which is killing their roster.

I do think their defense would look much better under Julien though, especially if they can resign Petry or bring in someone similar. They have a good defense and great puck-movers, something Julien loves and needs. Therrien isn't properly utilizing their defensive assets IMO. I just don't think their offense (Paccioretty, Gallagher and Galchenyuk is really all of it) would do that much better with Clode.

But to answer your question...yes we should keep this in mind when making a decision with about Clode. I'm not happy with Clode either but he is a very, very good coach. And unless Babcock becomes available and interested (unlikely) I really don't see a superior alternative. As long as our new GM (whoever it may be) talks to Clode about his choices (as in let's avoid Kelly and Talbot on the ice for 15 minutes a game) I think it might be okay.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
MT is basically a poor man's CJ... they have similar coaching styles, but CJ maintains the respect of his team while MT - so I've heard - does not. Big difference.

The only way I'd be cool with Julien in Montreal is if we've got Babcock behind our bench. Anything less and that'd basically be gut wrenching.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The scary, and maybe a bit funny, part is that the Habs board is whining about MT for many similar things we've sometimes whined about w/r/t Clode: grinding style over offensive flair, playing the wrong players on wrong lines and at wrong times, too much defense-first, playing vets over the kids, etc.

I think Clode is way ahead of Therrien for coaching ability, but I wonder if this happened would they still be saying the same thing down the line....

This is also exactly what you hear from Wings fans and Blackhawks fans when they complain about Babcock and Queneville.

Coincidental that these are 4 of the top coaches in the NHL?

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
If we decided to go in another direction for coaching, wouldn't we trade Julien somewhere? I was under the impression that was allowable under the new CBA.

I'd say that would be a much better route to go as we could get some return as well as control where he ends up (obviously they would consult him, but forbidding Montreal would probably be a must).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad