TV: The Jim Jefferies Show

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Couldn't find an existing thread about this.

I just heard about this show about a week ago so I downloaded the first few episodes. It's a political show based on the Jon Stewart/Daily Show model.

The Jim Jefferies Show is an American late-night talk show airing Tuesdays at 10:30 p.m. eastern time on Comedy Central in the United States and on The Comedy Network in Canada. The show premiered on June 6, 2017, and is hosted by Australian comedian Jim Jefferies.

In March 2017, Comedy Central ordered ten half-hour episodes of the series. In July 2017, the network ordered ten additional episodes, which will begin airing after a five-week hiatus.[1] As of July 25, 2017, seven episodes of The Jim Jefferies Show have aired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jim_Jefferies_Show

I thought the first few shows were horrendous, but I'm watching episode 5 now and it seems Jefferies has hit his stride and there are fewer cringe worthy moments. The awkwardness is gone. Jefferies appears much more comfortable in his role as TV show host with every passing episode.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
When Bill Burr appears on the show to do 17 minutes of comedy :laugh:

Watch on Youtube, it's NSFW

Also I want to say that it should be more chatter and less about the news. The news-comedy show is oversaturated. It's not funny anymore. Stewart and Colbert were the last ones to do it successfully. Can't we just have a talk show where comics just banter and talk ****?

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I thought he was the funniest new comedian to come around in years. Then he got full of himself getting political and doing social commentary and I flat out cant even listen to him anymore. Its hard to believe its the same guy. He is a flat out channel changer to me now when he comes on.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I've been a big fan of Jim Jefferies for a long time, and was a bit hesitant of this show. Figured it would be the usual "Trump is bad" shtick, and that's exactly what it's been. He's had some good segments, don't get me wrong. IMO, I wish he was still doing Legit than this.

Now, give me The President Show four nights a week. Great show. Amazing show. Huge.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Watched clips on YT last night.

Some were a bit cringy, and it just seemed obvious he was looking at a teleprompter. However, it seems the new clips he's gotten better.

I find the guy hilarious, though I was it was more open ended instead of news.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Never really been sold on the whole Jim Jefferies thing, to be honest, and he's kind of one of the last people I would want to see doing political news satire.

I agree that it would be nice to see the return of a "Tough Crowd" style of show where it's just comedians shooting the **** about various subjects and being a bunch of sometimes ignorant ***-holes, though.

The fact that Colin Quinn isn't appreciated enough to be a mainstay doing something or other on TV is kind of depressing.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Never really been sold on the whole Jim Jefferies thing, to be honest, and he's kind of one of the last people I would want to see doing political news satire.

I agree about the political part, but I think he is a very good traditional blue comic. The first season of Legit was hilarious too. I just don't have a taste for the politics in his standup. I haven't had much of a look at this new show yet though.

Sep 19, 2008

I agree that it would be nice to see the return of a "Tough Crowd" style of show where it's just comedians shooting the **** about various subjects and being a bunch of sometimes ignorant ***-holes, though.

The fact that Colin Quinn isn't appreciated enough to be a mainstay doing something or other on TV is kind of depressing.

A lot of those Tough Crowd guys appeared on O&A , sadly I never saw this show when it was running, but it kind of reminds me of the Robert Kelly podcast :laugh: Comics just shooting the ****. Unfortunately that's just podcast now but I wish it was on TV again

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Now, give me The President Show four nights a week. Great show. Amazing show. Huge.

The President Show is amazing and could probably be on at minimum a couple times a week just for all the material Trump gives comedians.

They should bring back The Jeselnik Offensive. Loved that show and they didn't even give it close to enough of a chance.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
He's ****ing hilarious and I love this show almost as much as his stand up. The bit he did on Cecil the lion's son and the rich and poor people play by different rules had me dying :laugh:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I've only seen bits and pieces of this show, but it's existence is kind of funny to me. I saw his viral bit on gun control, thought it was funny, so I decided to watch one of his standups. In it, he's says "I bet a lot of you are here because of that. Prepare to be surprised because that's not who I am as a comedian". He wasn't at all like the gun control bit, but I thought it was decent.

I feel like this show got created because a bunch of producers saw that gun control bit, offered him a truck load of money, and he was forced to say "ok, I guess I'm that guy now". It all feels weird and forced...like it's not who he really is.

Side note, I caught the last 5 minutes of last nights episodes. He listed off places at random that North Korea should nuke. He randomly chose my town. Damn you Jim Jeffries!!!

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I've only seen bits and pieces of this show, but it's existence is kind of funny to me. I saw his viral bit on gun control, thought it was funny, so I decided to watch one of his standups. In it, he's says "I bet a lot of you are here because of that. Prepare to be surprised because that's not who I am as a comedian". He wasn't at all like the gun control bit, but I thought it was decent.

I feel like this show got created because a bunch of producers saw that gun control bit, offered him a truck load of money, and he was forced to say "ok, I guess I'm that guy now". It all feels weird and forced...like it's not who he really is.

Side note, I caught the last 5 minutes of last nights episodes. He listed off places at random that North Korea should nuke. He randomly chose my town. Damn you Jim Jeffries!!!

I forget which special it was that he said it in, but in his own words, he called himself: "The Rosa Parks of the C word." :laugh:

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site

I never thought of this but I think you are 100% right here.

I also think having a kid and straightening his personal life out kind of took away his edge. Good for him on cleaning up his life but I loved his material about his days when he was out of control. Love the bit about Amsterdam that ended "All things considered I should have went to the Anne Frank Museum" I wish him success in his career, but I miss the old Jim.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I never thought of this but I think you are 100% right here.

I also think having a kid and straightening his personal life out kind of took away his edge. Good for him on cleaning up his life but I loved his material about his days when he was out of control. Love the bit about Amsterdam that ended "All things considered I should have went to the Anne Frank Museum" I wish him success in his career, but I miss the old Jim.

That was his 1st stand up and I saw him in Chicago - he really was that guy. He did like 30 minutes lying down on his face totally drunk. :laugh: I Swear To God was that act. Bare is on Netflix and it's still pretty good. It's the 1st one he did the gun control bit.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I could honestly never get into his stand-up. I tried to like him but for me he just came off as loud and obnoxious. His wit felt...predictable. I don't know. If people aren't crazy about his new show but prefer the stand up I probably won't like it all. Or maybe by some fit of irony I would prefer it. Maybe I'll give it a chance.

Sep 19, 2008
His stand up is fine. His pontificating news clip show sounds like a cheap Jon Stewart knock off. Again, LESS news clip shows and more actual TALK shows. The news clip show format has been over-saturated to death.

By Talk I mean he could bring on Burr or other comics and they'd be able to just shoot the **** like Tough Crowd. But then again those types of shows are heavily monitored by upper management. :rolleyes:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I could honestly never get into his stand-up. I tried to like him but for me he just came off as loud and obnoxious. His wit felt...predictable. I don't know. If people aren't crazy about his new show but prefer the stand up I probably won't like it all. Or maybe by some fit of irony I would prefer it. Maybe I'll give it a chance.
Yeah, he's always seemed like more of a cheap imitation-grade version of the "real deal" comedians, to me. (reminds me of how I react to Schumer, although not a fraction as bad)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad