Post-Game Talk: The Jets Suffer an Engine Failure... Leafs win 7-2

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, I got a new appreciation for Laine's passing skills but he is AWFUL under pressure

He's legit talent. Winnipeg has every right to brag about this guy. And he will adjust to the pressure.

But it WILL be an adjustment.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Laine is an amazing talent. The fact I saw a thread a few days ago titled "Does Laine have the best shot ever" and I didnt instantly laugh at it says alot. His shot is definitely in that Macinnis, Ovechkin, B Hull category.

His playmaking skills are definitely underated and I like that he plays with some jam.

I brought up this point in a Matthews vs Eichel topic a few weeks ago but the main difference I see between the two is Matthews motor. Matthews isnt as physical as either Eichel or Laine but I believe he actually has the best motor of the 3. With Eichel and Laine, you'll see them have an amazing shift then followed by a decent shift, then be invisible for 1 and back to a amazing one. With Matthews I feel hes making things happen every single shift hes out there, whether thats offensively or playing responsible defense and being a elite puck thief. I just see way more consistency shift in shift out from him vs the other two. All 3 are truly great talents but what puts Matthews ahead in my opinion is his well roundedness and consistency.

Just look at how the kid scores goals. All different types. Snipes from the perimeter, mucking it up below the hashs and going to the dirty or even a goal like last night where he got to the front of the net and made a sick tip.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Laine is an amazing talent. The fact I saw a thread a few days ago titled "Does Laine have the best shot ever" and I didnt instantly laugh at it says alot. His shot is definitely in that Macinnis, Ovechkin, B Hull category.

His playmaking skills are definitely underated and I like that he plays with some jam.

I brought up this point in a Matthews vs Eichel topic a few weeks ago but the main difference I see between the two is Matthews motor. Matthews isnt as physical as either Eichel or Laine but I believe he actually has the best motor of the 3. With Eichel and Laine, you'll see them have an amazing shift then followed by a decent shift, then be invisible for 1 and back to a amazing one. With Matthews I feel hes making things happen every single shift hes out there, whether thats offensively or playing responsible defense and being a elite puck thief. I just see way more consistency shift in shift out from him vs the other two. All 3 are truly great talents but what puts Matthews ahead in my opinion is his well roundedness and consistency.

Just look at how the kid scores goals. All different types. Snipes from the perimeter, mucking it up below the hashs and going to the dirty or even a goal like last night where he got to the front of the net and made a sick tip.

Disagree on the bolded (with Laine).

Matthews isnt afraid to go to the dirty areas (the slot, corners) to get a shot off or retrieve the puck. Laine will often just stand in the top of the left circle and wait for the pass.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Disagree on the bolded (with Laine).

Matthews isnt afraid to go to the dirty areas (the slot, corners) to get a shot off or retrieve the puck. Laine will often just stand in the top of the left circle and wait for the pass.
I think theres a difference between going to the dirty areas of the ice and say laying a hit on the forecheck.
Matthews imo is in no way soft but hes not really someone who ever innitiates contact. At worst its equal but my point was trying to illustrate that physicality doesnt always = Motor.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I think theres a difference between going to the dirty areas of the ice and say laying a hit on the forecheck.
Matthews imo is in no way soft but hes not really someone who ever innitiates contact. At worst its equal but my point was trying to illustrate that physicality doesnt always = Motor.
It seems you say it's a good thing that Laine and Eichel initiate contact more, so if so, the reason Matthews doesn't is because he's on another level with his stick in taking it away from others so it's more efficient to do that

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It seems you say it's a good thing that Laine and Eichel initiate contact more, so if so, the reason Matthews doesn't is because he's on another level with his stick in taking it away from others so it's more efficient to do that

The only reason I brought up the physicality part was because I was about to follow it up with saying Matthews has the best motor and some might think best motor would involve the player playing physical.
I was in no way criticizing Matthews.

Reactions: zeke and 7even

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The jets have to be the most over rated team in the NHL.

Leafs really put a spanking down last night. Will be interesting to see how we match up against a real team like the Rangers.

Freddy looks real good.
I can't believe the love this team gets for no reason whatsoever.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
I can't believe the love this team gets for no reason whatsoever.

A lot of Canadian sports media are western Canadians, especially in nhl circles. Happened when CBC was getting complaints about leafs bias years ago and whether that bias was true before or not I really feel like that bias is in the extreme of the other direction so western teams typically get a lot of love and all those guys want to cheer for Winnipeg because they view them as a underdog who fought hard to get back into the nhl

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
nah the jets are good. lots and lots of talent.

Yes they are, just need a proper coach, system, and goalie to really make it work. When this happens, they will be deadly.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Couldn’t have asked for a better game! Everyone skating hard and doing their part, exactly what we need! Go Leafs Go!

Reactions: DanM

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

I think Matthews is also fairly far ahead of both in terms of hockey IQ/awareness/anticipation. He always makes the good play and he always knows where to go. It's ridiculous

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
We've gotten our clocks cleaned quite a bit last year. Probably the worst team at giving up leads as well. We still took the president Trophy winners to game 6. One bad game doesn't mean the Jets suck, or that's Laine is over rated. They have a good team, coach is definitely questionable and goaltending will still be an X factor, but other than that it's a quality group. Definitely playoffs worthy.

mendez

Oct 6, 2017
Well Laine is overrated. He has a good shot but that's about it. His shot is not even that much better than Nylander's. I don't get the hype...

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I was over on the "who will score 50 first" thread. My god the Finnish fans are irritating. You literally can't talk to them, even if you prove them wrong 100 percent. They just go on about Laine being a generational god winger who will change the game of hockey forever lol best hockey player to ever lace up skates :help:

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
We've gotten our clocks cleaned quite a bit last year. Probably the worst team at giving up leads as well. We still took the president Trophy winners to game 6. One bad game doesn't mean the Jets suck, or that's Laine is over rated. They have a good team, coach is definitely questionable and goaltending will still be an X factor, but other than that it's a quality group. Definitely playoffs worthy.

They have a lot of talent in their top 6, definitely legit and one of the best in the league. Ehlers in particular is dynamite, that's what Kapanen needs to develop into...someone who brings out his wheels every few shifts. Don't think he has anywhere near Ehler's high-end upside though.

Laine is legit, you can game-plan around him like we did the other night but that's a compliment more than anything. If you have to game-plan against someone, then it's opening up the play for everyone else on the ice and is really a testament to how good Laine is than anything. He does struggle to score or maneuver in tight corners but it's picking at straws to compare him to Matthews.

Their defense is incredibly overrated though and always has been. They have big bodies in their back-end but aren't great at gap-control or closing the lanes. I think Trouba is great but they could use 1 high-end puck mover on their back-end. I think that's where Leaf fans really underrate Rielly, Gardiner.

Reactions: DanM

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Jets fan here, I come in peace. Have to say that while i wanted the jets to win (obviously) I somehow ended up with Marleau, Nylander and Marner in my fantasy pool so Ill take that production. Im hoping that PoMo (coach) took some lessons from Babcock in alot of areas.
1 - how to balance your lineup so you have multiple scoring lines (PoMo seems to try to stack our top 6 which leaves the bottom 6 getting outplayed every night).
2 - defensive structure (I dont know if anyone here heard Josh Morriseys interview but he literally explained "sometimes we play man, sometimes zone" which is stupid. There were a few plays where you could tell 3 jets were playing man and 2 zone and it just confused everyone/left Leafs wide open.
3 - Special teams - The Jets have good players who should be good on the power play but the system thats in place is all about standing still and waiting to get the puck to Laine for a 1-timer, no movement, no cycle. Its ridiculous, and dont get us started on the personel (Lowry, while a decent bottom 6 center does not belong on the first power play unit). Jets have like 16 shots in the first period because of all the PP time we had but all the shots were from 50 feet away with no traffic. Our PK is too passive, need to take a page from Babcock strategy and pressure the puck.

All in all our teams are pretty similar except you guys have coaches who know what they are doing and can put a system in place for the team to succeed.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Jets fan here, I come in peace. Have to say that while i wanted the jets to win (obviously) I somehow ended up with Marleau, Nylander and Marner in my fantasy pool so Ill take that production. Im hoping that PoMo (coach) took some lessons from Babcock in alot of areas.
1 - how to balance your lineup so you have multiple scoring lines (PoMo seems to try to stack our top 6 which leaves the bottom 6 getting outplayed every night).
2 - defensive structure (I dont know if anyone here heard Josh Morriseys interview but he literally explained "sometimes we play man, sometimes zone" which is stupid. There were a few plays where you could tell 3 jets were playing man and 2 zone and it just confused everyone/left Leafs wide open.
3 - Special teams - The Jets have good players who should be good on the power play but the system thats in place is all about standing still and waiting to get the puck to Laine for a 1-timer, no movement, no cycle. Its ridiculous, and dont get us started on the personel (Lowry, while a decent bottom 6 center does not belong on the first power play unit). Jets have like 16 shots in the first period because of all the PP time we had but all the shots were from 50 feet away with no traffic. Our PK is too passive, need to take a page from Babcock strategy and pressure the puck.

All in all our teams are pretty similar except you guys have coaches who know what they are doing and can put a system in place for the team to succeed.
It's like the Caps and Ovech or formerly the Habs and PK. It makes the PP very predictable. All in all I think the Jets have a very good team. I think the Leafs are deeper and can run four dangerous lines, but the Jets SHOULD be a playoff team, and a fairly decent one. Don't think you've seen the best of Mason yet either. Mo has to go though. Terrible coach.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I love how the biggest controversy after game 1 is about how good/bad another team is.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
nah the jets are good. lots and lots of talent.
They may have a good amount of talent, but I disagree that they'll be good this season. Most of their top players play selfishly forgetting about defense, while also being quite injury prone. And they might have a bottom 6 in the bottom 5 of the league, so they really can't survive any injuries.

Maybe when Maurice gets fired their team play will get better as well as improving on a predictable PP and way too passive PK, but that hasn't happened so I'm not betting on them making playoffs.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I don't like Maurice, but you need to be more realistic about what is and isn't his fault.

Every team in the league stacks their top 6. Leafs happen to have more than six "top 6" forwards, drafted 4 of them, got 1 for free, another in a stupidly 1-sided trade to...re-unite brothers? Jets depth isn't up to Maurice. You can only spread your talent around so much.

2 - defensive structure (I dont know if anyone here heard Josh Morriseys interview but he literally explained "sometimes we play man, sometimes zone" which is stupid.

From just that quote, you've decided you're a better theoretical coach? Why is it stupid?

3 - Special teams - The Jets have good players who should be good on the power play but the system thats in place is all about standing still and waiting to get the puck to Laine for a 1-timer

Well, I mean, that's your best weapon. And it's been working for Washington for a long time, now. Wednesday night the Jets PP was really dangerous all night, and Andersen just shut them down. And Mason did just the opposite, and that's not on Maurice, either.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Coach has to go because either Maurice doesnt know how to coach a defensive system or players have tuned him out and need a fresh voice.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Well, I mean, that's your best weapon. And it's been working for Washington for a long time, now. Wednesday night the Jets PP was really dangerous all night, and Andersen just shut them down. And Mason did just the opposite, and that's not on Maurice, either.

Its not hard for Andersen to be in position when he knows who's taking the shot every time.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
I don't like Maurice, but you need to be more realistic about what is and isn't his fault.

Every team in the league stacks their top 6. Leafs happen to have more than six "top 6" forwards, drafted 4 of them, got 1 for free, another in a stupidly 1-sided trade to...re-unite brothers? Jets depth isn't up to Maurice. You can only spread your talent around so much.

Yes I realize alot of teams stack their top 6, but when its common knowledge that the Jets bottom 6 depth isnt too good (1 decent defensive line and 1 crapshoot line) how do you fix that? by spreading the offense around so the opposition cant play matchups all night.

From just that quote, you've decided you're a better theoretical coach? Why is it stupid?

On the Jets board we have 20 page discussion going on about this, either Maurices system is too complex or the players have tuned him out. No excuse for having 3 players on the ice playing man to man and 2 zone, keep it simple so everyone knows what they are doing, not guessing. This has been going on for years (back to Maurice in Carolina, his teams never play well defensively)

Yes Laines shot is the best weapon, but when you have a PP with 5 guys standing around the perimeter passing the puck around waiting for the PK to mess up thats not conducive to success. Compare our PP to the Leafs and they are night and day, our special teams in general is very passive while the leafs is aggressive, your PP has a shot and guys crashing the net, creating a scrum and dirty goals, your PK is always pressuring the puck carrier (case in point Ehlers had the puck in the corner and had 2 leafs pressuring him and caused a turnover, Jets had the man advantage but leafs aggressiveness gave them the edge in that area of the ice).

Anderson played well and made the saves yes (Im not taking anything away from that), and i dont think Mason is that bad of a goalie, but its the systems that are in place, all of the Jets PP shots were from the perimeter with no traffic. If your goalie cant stop a shot from 50 feet away with nobody in front of him he doesnt belong in the NHL.

Its not a secret that Maurice continues to be outcoached.... Teams take on the personality of their coach, Maurice is passive (watch him on the bench during the game, wasnt talking, was just standing there chewing his gum) whereas Babcock with your team up 5 goals was still coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad