Post-Game Talk: The Jets Suffer an Engine Failure... Leafs win 7-2

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
That is not at all what was happening Wednesday night.
It's not all, but it doesnt play significantly to your advantage when your opponent's strategy is so clear. The Leafs boxed out the Jets players very well on the PP. Andersen faced a lot of shots but many were one and done, cleared and out. For the most part the line of site was clear and again in most cases it was very apparent that they were trying to get Laine the shot, so you block Laine and most of your work is done. Are you stating that this does not make it easier on a team than say, having 3-4 legitimate threads on the PP?

SweLeafsFan

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden
Great start to the season, especially as I think the Jets is one of the most dislikable teams in the league (don't know why). Also when Mason is in the opposition's net you know it is going to be a good night.

Reactions: DatSnipeMatthews

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
They would be really good with a better coach/system. I think thats obvious.

Not feeling sorry for them though, we went through 10+ years of hell - time to laugh at others pain :D:popcorn:

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I'm not entirely convinced its just the coach.
The harsh reality is that EVERY teams fanbase always blames the coach when things dont pan out like expected. Sure in some cases its actually a real thing that the coach sucks but plenty of the time its also just that the group of players just arent as good as many fans or management believe. It actually happened many years here in Leafland where when things dont go well, OH BLAME THE COACH.....Why? Because its the easiest thing to do and the easiest person to replace.

Winnepeg has talent forsure but I also think some of their bigger name players arent as good as some proclaim.

Buffalo is doing the same thing saying all the problems they had was because of Bylsma. It will be interesting to see if anything changes with a new coach or if they still continue to suck.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga

Not feeling sorry for them though, we went through 10+ years of hell - time to laugh at others pain :D:popcorn:

I think it would certainly help them quite a bit but they’ve got pretty big flaws that don’t even get talked about.

That forward group is a good group of 6 but at the bottom it’s nothing short of terrible and the talk of spreading makes sense but the reality is with the lack of depth you’ll spread and that offense looks a lot weaker.

On top of years of questionable goaltending you also have that defence that is all about name power. As individual parts that is a good paper group but when you actually get into the weaknessses of the individuals it becomes pretty obvious they don’t compliment eachother well at all. Guys like Byfuglien are viewed as a go to guy when he’s clearly someone that should be sheltered. He can be a weapon in the same way a JVR can if you put him in the right situation but he’s very obviously not a all situations player. If I’m being honest right now I view Trouba very much the same way. These pieces can work but they need a compliment piece and the Jets have a bunch of square pegs they’re trying to jam in the circles back there

Reactions: DatSnipeMatthews

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

We rip the coach when we're winning.

edit. quoted wrong poster.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I'm not entirely convinced its just the coach.
The harsh reality is that EVERY teams fanbase always blames the coach when things dont pan out like expected. Sure in some cases its actually a real thing that the coach sucks but plenty of the time its also just that the group of players just arent as good as many fans or management believe. It actually happened many years here in Leafland where when things dont go well, OH BLAME THE COACH.....Why? Because its the easiest thing to do and the easiest person to replace.

Winnepeg has talent forsure but I also think some of their bigger name players arent as good as some proclaim.

Buffalo is doing the same thing saying all the problems they had was because of Bylsma. It will be interesting to see if anything changes with a new coach or if they still continue to suck.
Its not JUST the coach, but POMO just isnt very good.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Its not JUST the coach, but POMO just isnt very good.

Sure but my example would be something like....

I dont think Trouba is anywhere near as good as some fans think (And this is coming from someone who was a huge fan pre draft.)

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I really hate the Leafs "fans" who go to other teams post game talks and apologize for the Leafs winning. They're on the Jets board acting like we were lucky to demolish them.

Like what the **** is wrong with you :shakehead

I also never see these Leafs "fans" post on the Leafs board.

Some people are appeasers. They want everyone to like them. It is cringey.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I actually think maurice is pretty good tactically speaking. At least at even strength.

His teams are usually solid possession teams. And I think he has helped underachievers like scheifele and wheeler come into their own.

But he does have enough weaknesses that might do him in - his special teams never seem to be good, he doesn't value a 3 line offense enough imo, and there may also be some intangible weaknesses in his leadership and ability to inspire confidence in his trooops.

at the same time, the team's talented players do seem to be overwhelmingly loose cannons, which makes it tough on any coach.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
I't not saying it's all PoMo's fault, players need to take accountability as well, but this has been the same story for PoMos tenure here as coach, good team on paper, shit results for the same reasons (Special teams, subpar goaltending and defensive scheme). Yes Mason needed to be better but with the defensive breakdowns it really didnt matter who was in net that night, Leafs had too many wide open looks. Its almost like PoMo coachs for fantasy hockey owners (teams always seem to score and players put up good individual stats but the sum of the parts is a disappointing season).

The thing is what is easier to do, fix the Jets D (which I will admit is a work in progress) through trades or fire the coach? We all know when it comes down to it the first thing done is fire the coach which is what we (alot of jets fans) want. We need a new voice and someone who can teach a defensive system that works. PoMo has had enough opportunities.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I love this observation. Great players/great talents are honed with hard work and dedication to their craft not only some accident of genetics. Think about this more: William Nylander had a successful game but somehow still identified that he needed to do some extra work.

Reactions: HogTown06

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Sure but my example would be something like....

I dont think Trouba is anywhere near as good as some fans think (And this is coming from someone who was a huge fan pre draft.)

I agree, although Trouba is still very talented. I honestly think many Leafs fans overrate him more than some Jets fans.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I actually think maurice is pretty good tactically speaking. At least at even strength.

His teams are usually solid possession teams. And I think he has helped underachievers like scheifele and wheeler come into their own.

But he does have enough weaknesses that might do him in - his special teams never seem to be good, he doesn't value a 3 line offense enough imo, and there may also be some intangible weaknesses in his leadership and ability to inspire confidence in his trooops.

at the same time, the team's talented players do seem to be overwhelmingly loose cannons, which makes it tough on any coach.

His goaltending has almost always been very bad as well. Some of that might be attributed to tactics, sure, but he's definitely not had any help from the net.

Reactions: zeke

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
I love this observation. Great players/great talents are honed with hard work and dedication to their craft not only some accident of genetics. Think about this more: William Nylander had a successful game but somehow still identified that he needed to do some extra work.

Brings Michael Jordan to mind, despite all his talent he worked harder than most of his peers, we all know the results. Not implying Nylander is as talented as Jordan was of course.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
His goaltending has almost always been very bad as well. Some of that might be attributed to tactics, sure, but he's definitely not had any help from the net.

absolutely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad