The Jets Finally Have a Good Goalie... Hellebuyck

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
The Jets must be regretting the decision of signing Mason. If he doesn't pick things up soon then the Jets should try and trade him, put him on waivers, or cut him.

Reactions: Shaibu

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
The Jets must be regretting the decision of signing Mason. If he doesn't pick things up soon then the Jets should try and trade him, put him on waivers, or cut him.
Nothing really behind who can take nr 2 spot, Wade has already ruined Hutch, and on his way with Comrie. Our only hope was Pickard or maybe Mrazek...

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
The Jets just signed Steve Mason to a AAV of $4.1 USD. He has been bad, allowing 16 goals in 3 games for a 5.96 GAG, or a .846 save percentage. It's a combination of both, bad defence and bad goaltending. I can't blame him for all of the goals as for some reason when he's in net the jets just have turnover after turnover. Then on the other hand Connor Hellebuyck, who has posted a 2.11 GAA and a .937 save percentage in his 4 games. Although it's still early in the season, do you think Mason will improve or will Hellebuyck win the starting position and lead the jets 2.0 to their second playoff appearance.

Sample sizes...

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
A bad signing. 'Have to wonder what the GM was thinking with that signing. Mason is okay but he's struggled, recently and was not always playing very well with Philly and didn't he struggle with Columbus as well?

My prediction is that the GM and coach of the Jets will be on the hot seat before too long.

P.S. how many recent goalies have shuffled around the line up thus far?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Maybe in a way, but im honestly still not upset about the signing.

If bringing in Mason helps Hellebuyck to run away with the #1 then it was worth it. Helle clearly worked hard last summer knowing that if he doesn't, he's going to be stuck behind a #1 goalie.

For all the crap Mason gets right now, if he ends up as the backup and Helle plays great that's fine by me. Yes he will be overpaid, but let's also not forget when Mason is hot he's can be really hot. There's no question in my mind at some point this season Helle has a tough game, Mason jumps in plays lights out and goes in the next 5 games and provides us with solid goaltending.

It's 2 very different type of goalies, and chances for 1 of them getting the job done at any time are good enough.

The start is what it is but obviously it's misleading too, we've thrown in Mason in on by far our worst 3 games. Im just questioning why on earth Maurice put Mason in net against one of the best teams in the league when Helle is playing as well as he is.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Helle's looked leaps and bounds better this year, I truly think the biggest surprise this season for us is going to be him solidifying that #1 job.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Could be worse, you could have Lehtonen at 6 AAV as backup.

It's a 2 goalie league now so there will be plenty of time for Mason to turn it around.

RDIOCEE27

Jul 8, 2017
Mason played vs stronger teams.

Mason played vs TOR (5-1), CGY (4-2) , CBJ (5-1) = (14-4)
Hellebuyck played vs EDM (1-4), VAN (2-2-1) , CAR (2-1-1) = (5-7-2)

Hellebuyck is better than Mason.
Too early to say that. Let him play some tough games

I completely agree with you that it's too early in the season to judge. But Mason should've saved half of the goals he had allowed in those games (weak shots)

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
You’re missing that Mason was a .918 over his years in Philly. Or your just purposely ignoring it?
Ok. So where did that get the Flyers? What'd they win with Mason? What did he exhibit in Philadelphia that was indicative that he was the kind of goaltender to try to take your franchise to the next level? If a .918 S% wasn't enough to propel the Flyers into the playoffs, how was it going to get the Jets there? .918's about middle of the pack . Mason was .908 last year...his most recent body of work, and that was 35th in the league. He's got an underwhelming body of work. I don't understand the signing.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So why did Maruice elect to go with Mason yesterday when Hellebuyck was on a 3 game winning streak?

Because of the schedule. Jets have only one game in the next seven days and Maurice wanted to give him a game before the long layoff. It made sense to start Mason for the Columbus game because the next game on Friday is against a division rival.

That being said, I am not worried about Mason just yet. It's just three games and he performed well in the preseason. I like his technique but his confidence is definitely very low right now. In regards to Hellebuyck, I am not at all surprised about his hot start. He has always had the talent and he showed by putting up elite level numbers in both the NCAA (.943) and AHL (.922). His AHL numbers are especially impressive since he played for a god awful farm team and was only eclipsed by the performance of Matt Murray.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Ok. So where did that get the Flyers? What'd they win with Mason? What did he exhibit in Philadelphia that was indicative that he was the kind of goaltender to try to take your franchise to the next level? If a .918 S% wasn't enough to propel the Flyers into the playoffs, how was it going to get the Jets there? .918's about middle of the pack . Mason was .908 last year...his most recent body of work, and that was 35th in the league. He's got an underwhelming body of work. I don't understand the signing.

With .918 goaltending the Jets likely would have made the playoffs 5 out of the past 6 years

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
I've always thought of last season to be a write off year for Hellebuyck due to it being his first full season, and how bad the Jets are defensively. Dude still has a ton of potential. Maybe it took the signing of Mason to kick his a** into gear.

Yeah he's only played against weak teams this year, but none the less, the way he's performed is a step in the right direction for him.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
why do people think mason sucks lol

and anyway, hellebuyck was always supposed to be that guy but he had a bad run last year

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Am I missing something? Barely cracking a 90% save percentage is absolute dog ****. I certainly wouldn't want him around.

His numbers with the Flyers the last couple years certainly warranted him getting another NHL this summer. They were not outstanding, but to be able to post those numbers does make you one of the top 62 goalies in North America.

Did he deserve the contract he got? Absolutely not. Bad deal by the Jets. He's not a starter, but he deserved a short term, ~$2m/yr contract as a backup/1b

I don't think he'll be in the league for much longer, however

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
His numbers with the Flyers the last couple years certainly warranted him getting another NHL this summer. They were not outstanding, but to be able to post those numbers does make you one of the top 62 goalies in North America.

Did he deserve the contract he got? Absolutely not. Bad deal by the Jets. He's not a starter, but he deserved a short term, ~$2m/yr contract as a backup/1b

I don't think he'll be in the league for much longer, however
Top 62. Damn. That's aiming high. lol Half of those are backups...the other half that are starters, would be backups on the other half of the teams. He got starter money. He got the kinda loot you give to someone that can shoulder the load and take you someplace. He got money for something he's never done, and quite frankly, isn't going to do this year either. If the Jets make the playoffs, it won't be because of the play of Steve Mason.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
35th. So...you don't even rank in the top 30 teams in the league. It's like...having been relegated to the B league.
What are you talking about? League average goaltending is .915

918 would be better than average and more than enough to get the Jets into the playoffs with the offensive tools they have at their desposal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad