The Jets Finally Have a Good Goalie... Hellebuyck

RDIOCEE27

Jul 8, 2017
The Jets just signed Steve Mason to a AAV of $4.1 USD. He has been bad, allowing 16 goals in 3 games for a 5.96 GAG, or a .846 save percentage. It's a combination of both, bad defence and bad goaltending. I can't blame him for all of the goals as for some reason when he's in net the jets just have turnover after turnover. Then on the other hand Connor Hellebuyck, who has posted a 2.11 GAA and a .937 save percentage in his 4 games. Although it's still early in the season, do you think Mason will improve or will Hellebuyck win the starting position and lead the jets 2.0 to their second playoff appearance.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
I don't know how you give Mason another start in the NHL. What a COLOSSAL pile of dog ****. I know the Jets' defence isn't the greatest on its own end of the ice, but Jesus CHRIST does Mason ever suck. You just got rid of that bum Pavalec...and you follow that up by signing MASON????? What he ****, Chevy???

Get a real goddamned goaltender.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Now how to get rid of Mason? He just plain sucks, I think that it's clear at this point. Maybe Pens would be willing to trade him for Niemi.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Mason played vs stronger teams.

Mason played vs TOR (5-1), CGY (4-2) , CBJ (5-1) = (14-4)
Hellebuyck played vs EDM (1-4), VAN (2-2-1) , CAR (2-1-1) = (5-7-2)

Hellebuyck is better than Mason.
Too early to say that. Let him play some tough games

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Hellebuyck did what every goalie with a brain did, he hired a real goalie coach during the summer, so I wounder, when will Jets hire one?

Exactly, he worked in the off season with a good goalie coach. Result? A better goalie. I think the Jets need to replace our goalie coach with Helle's Summer Sub and get rid of Flaherty.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Mason is a good goalie and will get into a rythym at some point.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I've no clue how Mason got an NHL job. Jets needed a dependable guy who can play 30-40 games and split duties with Helle till he got enough experience under his belt to run away with it.

Lots of pressure on Helle to deliver now that Mason has proven what everyone already knew. He sucks.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
So why did Maruice elect to go with Mason yesterday when Hellebuyck was on a 3 game winning streak?

He wanted to remove all doubt that Mason really does suck. Just wanted to open the door for Hellebuyck the start every remaining game of the season while Mason can sit at the end of the bench in board shorts and a tshirt.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
Mason played 50+ games with a .908 SV% last year and you think he should ahve been out of the league entirely at age 29?

Am I missing something? Barely cracking a 90% save percentage is absolute dog ****. I certainly wouldn't want him around.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This just shows how bad Mason is, I honestly thought he would be a PTO guy this year.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Mason had the 7th best even strength sv% in the league during his time in Philadelphia (2013-2017). He's an above average starting goalie and his Jets stats are an example of poor sample size skewing numbers.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Exactly, he worked in the off season with a good goalie coach. Result? A better goalie. I think the Jets need to replace our goalie coach with Helle's Summer Sub and get rid of Flaherty.
We need to replace the entire coaching staff. Pucks have been going in the net at an unacceptable rate since the team moved to Winnipeg in 2011 and there have been no changes to either the D coach or the goalie coach in that entire time.

PM needs to go as well, he’s at least 10 years behind on how successful teams play. He has a LOT of skilled forwards but insists on using 2 good lines and finding "role players" to fill out the other 2. He’s making the Jets into a 2 line team not because he doesn’t have skilled options, but because that’s how he wants to play. He’s also insisting on a dump and chase style that gets players injured and doesn’t fit the players he has on the team.

Reactions: Afterburner

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
We need to replace the entire coaching staff. Pucks have been going in the net at an unacceptable rate since the team moved to Winnipeg in 2011 and there have been no changes to either the D coach or the goalie coach in that entire time.
PM needs to go as well, he’s at least 10 years behind on how successful teams play. He has a LOT of skilled forwards but insists on using 2 good lines and finding "role players" to fill out the other 2. He’s making the Jets into a 2 line team not because he doesn’t have skilled options, but because that’s how he wants to play. He’s also insisting on a dump and chase style that gets players injured and doesn’t fit the players he has on the team.

Oh I agree, the whole bench needs to be replaced and soon. PoMo is completely not in touch with how things need to be done and it's obvi that there is a huge disconnect because of it. Time to get some new blood in the room cuz we have a hell of a lot of talent and it would be a shame to squander that.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Am I missing something? Barely cracking a 90% save percentage is absolute dog ****. I certainly wouldn't want him around.
You’re missing that Mason was a .918 over his years in Philly. Or your just purposely ignoring it?

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
Ya, Mason is disappointing so far. But that disappointment is minor compared to the trash defensive hockey the rest of the team plays. Both goalies are heading for terrible years, if the rest of that group can’t figure out how to play as a proper team.

We have a much bigger problem, considering how this team chronically under achieves. This is a management and coaching problem. And maybe more. We could have Price and the team would miss the playoffs or barely scrape in. Its men vs boys when they are up against a decent team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad