The Islanders aren't boring

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Yes they found a way to play defensively and still not be boring. The islanders havent. You think for a single seconds the pens controlling the game tempo is anything like what the islanders are doing your homer flag is flying.
Homer flag has nothing to do with it. When the Islanders are on their game, they are controlling the opposition by keeping them to the outside, not allowing cross ice passes, and blocking a significant number of shots. Since you find it boring to play defense, I recommend watching teams with no defensive structure, there are more than a couple to choose from. Dougie Howser may catch on to that idea someday, in which case you will have to shop for a new team to follow.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Homer flag has nothing to do with it. When the Islanders are on their game, they are controlling the opposition by keeping them to the outside, not allowing cross ice passes, and blocking a significant number of shots. Since you find it boring to play defense, I recommend watching teams with no defensive structure, there are more than a couple to choose from. Dougie Howser may catch on to that idea someday, in which case you will have to shop for a new team to follow.
This super silly and childish naritive of if you don't like islanders you dont like defense is a joke. Unless your argument is the islanders are the only team playing defense your entire argument is pathetic at the absolute best. Your team is boring. You don;t have to agree but they are. Don't take it personal. Move on.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
This super silly and childish naritive of if you don't like islanders you dont like defense is a joke. Unless your argument is the islanders are the only team playing defense your entire argument is pathetic at the absolute best. Your team is boring. You don;t have to agree but they are. Don't take it personal. Move on.
My "super silly" narrative is that the Islanders control the game just as effectively as the Pens(sorry, Sidney) used to, just in a different way. If you do not feel strongly about this thread, why do you have a dozen posts here?

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
GO TAILGUNNER GO!!!!!1`1!!

LIKE THIS POST DANTHEMAN1967!!!1111!!!

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
My "super silly" narrative is that the Islanders control the game just as effectively as the Pens(sorry, Sidney) used to, just in a different way. If you do not feel strongly about this thread, why do you have a dozen posts here?
The different way is the boring way. I feel very strongly the islanders are boring. You are the one who cant come to terms with it.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
thirteen posts, and you have to have the last word. It is an obsession, right?
No its a paycheck. I have never once been on this site while i am off the clock. This is where i go to kill 5 minutes while getting paid to do other things. If you think i am above getting paid to remind people the islanders are boring you are wrong. They are boring. I will talk about it for free but i will post FOURTEEN or even fifteen if i am getting paid for it. Not a problem at all.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
No its a paycheck. I have never once been on this site while i am off the clock. This is where i go to kill 5 minutes while getting paid to do other things. If you think i am above getting paid to remind people the islanders are boring you are wrong. They are boring. I will talk about it for free but i will post FOURTEEN or even fifteen if i am getting paid for it. Not a problem at all.

GO TAILSLAPSHOTUSEKAKKOGUNNERTHEMOVIERIGHTQUINN GO!!!!

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!1111

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
the islanders are a boring team to watch. i have no doubt islanders fans will disagree, but the non-islander fans are pretty consistent on this, trotz is pretty insistent on this, and the denial is getting old. you are what you are, a good, boring hockey club.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I think thread unproductive like this should be closed after running for 3 weeks. It is fine everyone is entitled to how they feel and surely they are entitled to express it. However to make this a long thread seems kind of pointless as it does not discuss anything truly interesting and the thread itself is ironically boring for hockey purposes.

Maybe the thread purpose is to trash Trotz as obvious the team discussed here plays his system so he is the main target here, right? The problem is that there will be teams with fewer talents and less money to spend to acquire talent will have no choice to play a defensive type of system until they are lucky enough to win back to back #1 overall lottery picks in strong draft years.

A more productive thread will be like "how to assist weaker teams to become more entertaining therefore sustain their ability to attract fans and help NHL become a better sports league overall".
You may not like certain teams but the consequences of a team losing significant revenues will impact the whole NHL league. Therefore even if you are not Ottawa, Florida, Arizona, or NY Isles fans, you should come up with some creative ideas to help these teams to become better and more entertaining or the overall NHL revenue will end up shrinking even with the expansion.

As negative revenue from weaker teams will result in money drained from the higher revenues teams (due to revenue sharing) and this will eventually end up being covered by higher prices on the season ticket or Sports Media streaming subscription for the teams with no trouble filling their arenas - from the pocket from fans like you and me. There is a trickle-down effect that you may not see that clearly.

This is why it is important that the league become truly more competitive offensively so even the teams in a smaller market can attract more fans unless the NHL allows them to be moved or folded. It is not just the fans of the team that should worry about the team but all NHL fans should pull together and help these teams because it benefits all teams.

How to get teams to be less boring? Of course, there needs to be more high-end offensive talents on each team, not just 50% of the teams. How to get more talents then? Well, you have to start from the youth hockey development programs putting more emphasis on developing more offensively gifted players.

The other thing I would suggest is to limit blocking in games such as no intentional block on PP or replace team PP with penalty shots when the penalties happen in an area close to the net and have the penalty shot taken by any player on the offended team when a player is seriously infringed on a clear breakaway. Blocking is potentially dangerous for the players especially when a player falls to block unless he or she is wearing a full cage and a hard shot end up in the wrong area can break bones and even cause concussions. Without shot block on 50% of the PP, there will be more PP goals and likely deter dumb penalties which kills flow in the games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Axe Man

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Their play style is boring no matter what numbers you want to spin to make it sound better. Teams don't pick up the boring tag just because, they get it because they were and are boring. Example: 95-03 Devils were the epitome of boring hockey and I am sure even some of their fans while enjoying them winning 3 Cups still thought their style was boring. Boring styles do work when trying to win, but don't expect people to get excited by it, especially non team fans who are no doubt going to be bored to tears of it.

For me, entertainment is a function of how emotionally invested I can get in a team. The isles don't do much for me in terms of rooting for them or against them, so they do fall in the "boring" category.

As for Isles fans, they shouldn't really care what other fans think. The isles are a good team, and winning teams are fun for the fanbase. That's all that should matter.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
End the hypocrisy, change your avatar. I was accused of peddling two players whose last names start with a K, I had heard of one of them.
Always worth a chuckle when there was more interest in the playoffs when <cough>the boring Islanders were playing. The irony is not lost on me.

Kauskey

Mar 16, 2007
I love how boring we are. I wish we could be more boring. If it was up to me we'd never enter the offensive zone and just shoot the puck in from behind the blue line.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I love how boring we are. I wish we could be more boring. If it was up to me we'd never enter the offensive zone and just shoot the puck in from behind the blue line.

I'd just prefer we get DiPietro out of retirement and just pass back to him. He could use his incredible, revolutionary intergenerfranchisal puck-handling skills to shoot on net at will (the opponents net, not ours).

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The different way is the boring way. I feel very strongly the islanders are boring. You are the one who cant come to terms with it.
I've got to say, your argument that "the Isles are boring because they're boring" is pretty compelling. Hard to argue with that. :rolleyes:

Reactions: The Real JT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad