The interesting connection between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Calgary Flames.

Stephen Locke*

There are certain anecdoctical,historical and somewhat fairly interesting connections to settle between these two organizations.

Players or executives who have been in Calgary have been traded or established in Toronto or vice versa.

(Gilmour-had a successful period of time there revitalized the franchise among with other players,Nieuwendyk in 2003-2004,was quite valuable as 2nd line centre,supporting effectively Mats.Gary Roberts with his veteran leadership and his clutch performance in the playoffs,Lanny McDonald who has been selected by the Leafs in the1973 Draft,was a fan favourite and a solid pointgetter,scored a memorable goal in 1978 in Game 7 OT vs Isles.Jamie Macoun was a good and reliable defenseman who had some decent seasons in a Leafs uniform)

Quinn played a short period of time in Cowtown,and Cliff Fletcher was the Flames GM since Atlanta was settled as a franchise in the 70's until 1989-1990 I think.He won a Cup in 1989,like all the players mentioned there.Was leaving for T.O when he built a competitive,thanks for bringing on Gilmour and Jamie Macoun.Relinquished his GM duties with the Maple Leafs in 1997,until Quinn take the office to officially establish himself as both GM and head coach.

Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen Locke*

I thought the thread discussion would've generated more interest than that.I'll update it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not really.

Pat Quinn never played in Calgary.

Cliff Fletcher went to the Leafs and brought a bunch of his guys over in one 5 for 5 trade. Then we signed Roberts and Nieuwy when they were years removed from Calgary. McDonald didn't go to Calgary directly from Toronto.

Al Bundy*

How about Trevor Kidd?

Decent goalie in Calgary, later a solid backup for Belfour in Toronto.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
You can find better examples all over hockey history as members of the hockey fraternity move around.

Compare the Canadiens rosters from 85-94 with the Stars rosters from 90-00. Bob Gainey brought everything except Patrick Roy and the French language to Texas. Mike McPhee, Craig Ludwig, Kirk Muller, Guy Carbonneau, Mike Keane, Pierre Turgeon, Craig Ludwig, Dave Manson, Russ Courtnall, Doug Jarvis, Mike Lalor, Brian Hayward, Jyrki Lumme, Claude Lemieux, Brian Skrudland and Shayne Corson just off the top of my head. The rest of the organization (Rob DiMaio, Greg Hawgood, Mike Needham, Darryl Sydor, Zac Boyer, Daryl Reaugh, Corey Hirsch) came with Ken Hitchcock when he migrated from Kamloops.

Last edited:

Stephen Locke*

Not really.

Pat Quinn never played in Calgary.

Cliff Fletcher went to the Leafs and brought a bunch of his guys over in one 5 for 5 trade. Then we signed Roberts and Nieuwy when they were years removed from Calgary. McDonald didn't go to Calgary directly from Toronto.

Thanks for correcting it.Lanny was traded prior to Colorado,I forgot it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You can find better examples all over hockey history as members of the hockey fraternity move around.

Compare the Canadiens rosters from 85-94 with the Stars rosters from 90-00. Bob Gainey brought everything except Patrick Roy and the French language to Texas. Mike McPhee, Craig Ludwig, Kirk Muller, Guy Carbonneau, Mike Keane, Pierre Turgeon, Craig Ludwig, Dave Manson, Russ Courtnall, Doug Jarvis, Mike Lalor, Brian Hayward, Jyrki Lumme, Claude Lemieux, Brian Skrudland and Shayne Corson just off the top of my head. The rest of the organization (Rob DiMaio, Greg Hawgood, Mike Needham, Darryl Sydor, Zac Boyer, Daryl Reaugh, Corey Hirsch) came with Ken Hitchcock when he migrated from Kamloops.

Yeah, Montreal-Dallas is a great example of tie-ins.

The Leafs and Islanders also have a bunch of connections, with guys like Glenn Healy, Randy Wood, Felix Potvin, Bryan Berard, Steve Thomas, Kirk Muller, Benoit Hogue, Eric Fichaud, Wendel Clark, Darby Hendrickson, Kenny Jonsson, Bill Berg, the Luongo pick, the Brandon Convery for Darius Kasparaitis pick swap in 1992, Tom Kurvers, Tom Fitzgerald, Daniel Marois, Gary Nylund, Marcel Cousineau, Ken Baumgartner, Derek King, Mike Peca, Mariusz Czerkawski, Jason Blake, Travis Green, Robert Reichel, Bryan McCabe, Joe Sacco, Sean Haggerty and David Harlock.

Greg Gilbert played for the Isles, and is now the coach of the Marlies, Steve Tambellini was an Isles player who was once in the running to be the Leafs GM, a job given to JFJ, who now appears on TSN, where Mike Milbury works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad