The Importance of Ignoring Distractions

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
To me this is the most important thing moving forward.

We've outplayed the Canadiens this whole series thus far, but the Habs (headed by Prust) are trying to make us our own worst enemy out of desperation. While I don't believe we lost game 3 because of his antics, I believe that the Habs win + other things Prust and co. may try and pull in the coming games could get some Rangers to take some stupid penalties if they're not focused on just winning. If the Rangers don't handle distractions right moving forward then it could cause trouble. We're a disciplined team and have been that way for years. Now isn't the time to lose that focus.

Personally I would suggest keeping Dorsett on a short leash if things get messy and benching Carcillo for Miller.

Jarkko Immonen

#42 Artem Anisimov
Oct 23, 2005
Connecticut
I thought they absolutely handled all that nonsense well last night, other than Carcillo going a bit nuts. I don't think it will be a problem going forward.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Carcillo going nuts made AV have to juggle the lines and ruined the cohesion of the team. That's a big part of the Rangers identity rolling 4 lines. I think it had a snowball effect as far as losing. The game just had a weird feel to it.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Carcillo going nuts made AV have to juggle the lines and ruined the cohesion of the team. That's a big part of the Rangers identity rolling 4 lines. I think it had a snowball effect as far as losing. The game just had a weird feel to it.

That.

Prust literally changed the whole complexion of the game with his dirty hit. Hell, even me and my Dad were in a bad mood after that :laugh:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Absolutely.

I'd make a huge, huge point of not getting tied up in these things in the future. Respond like Step did to Emelin, with huge clean hits. That'll get the crowd into the game and beat the other team down.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
I think breaking Stepan's jaw is a bit more than a distraction
I made this thread literally minutes before I heard the news. Regardless the Rangers just need to step up and keep their eyes on the prize. The Rangers can just forget Prust now, he's probably gone for a good portion or the remainder of the series.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rangers were off their game for several minutes after the Prust cheap shot. It's easy to understand why but I agree it is counter productive. It doesn't help when the officiating sucks. That hit + Montreal's second slew foot of the series (neither of them called) and then Carcillo getting a charging for pretty much hitting a guy not even that solid.

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
Rangers were off their game for several minutes after the Prust cheap shot. It's easy to understand why but I agree it is counter productive. It doesn't help when the officiating sucks. That hit + Montreal's second slew foot of the series (neither of them called) and then Carcillo getting a charging for pretty much hitting a guy not even that solid.

You with think the league wants a 7 game series.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
This thread should be a sticky, Canadiens only possible winning strategy is baiting because they can't compete on talent

Flyers almost got away with it, nobody thought the Canadiens could be as low as the Flyers but it turns out they're even worse. Just hope the players listen to the coach

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I think when Brandon Prust is going around breaking one of our best players jaws, it goes beyond distractions.

Refs need to open their ****ing eyes open in Game 4 so the Rangers can play their game.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Still say avoid the distractions. Losing Step hurts.

But focus and win the next 2 and close out the series.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Definitely can't get sucked into bad penalties or trying to even the score. The team isn't built that way. Focus on the series.

They need to play whistle to whistle but hopefully this lights an insane competitive fire in the guys. And hopefully next regular season Prust and the Habs get theirs.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
This thread should be a sticky, Canadiens only possible winning strategy is baiting because they can't compete on talent

Flyers almost got away with it, nobody thought the Canadiens could be as low as the Flyers but it turns out they're even worse. Just hope the players listen to the coach

Couldn't agree more.

They have mastered that 'style' and the opponent will get penalized on the retaliation. Then they will whine and plead their downtrodden bullied case to whoever will listen. The hypocrisy is maddening.

Anyway, stick to what got you there Rangers. Play your game and finish them off!

Go Rangers !

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
this thread should be a sticky, canadiens only possible winning strategy is baiting because they can't compete on talent

flyers almost got away with it, nobody thought the canadiens could be as low as the flyers but it turns out they're even worse. Just hope the players listen to the coach

this 100%

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Couldn't agree more.

They have mastered that 'style' and the opponent will get penalized on the retaliation. Then they will whine and plead their downtrodden bullied case to whoever will listen. The hypocrisy is maddening.

Anyway, stick to what got you there Rangers. Play your game and finish them off!

Go Rangers !
Thanks, Gee Wally! I love that Gerry Cheevers mask.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
The oldest trick in the book is the lesser team getting the better team off their game.
It really is the Canadiens' strategy.
Game 3 is over and it is a fresh start in Game 4. The Rangers have the benefit of a coach they believe in, and who here would really think that they are not taking the high road? It's not just for saying that they will not stoop to cheap shots; it is because staying true to who you are will yield the desired result, which is the Rangers heading to Bell Centre with the possibility of closing it out.
Last time I am going to talk about it, but the 'Prust Incident' worked for the Habs. That was a huge ingredient for them last game. We won't see anything remotely like that again, I bet.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The oldest trick in the book is the lesser team getting the better team off their game.
It really is the Canadiens' strategy.
Game 3 is over and it is a fresh start in Game 4. The Rangers have the benefit of a coach they believe in, and who here would really think that they are not taking the high road? It's not just for saying that they will not stoop to cheap shots; it is because staying true to who you are will yield the desired result, which is the Rangers heading to Bell Centre with the possibility of closing it out.
Last time I am going to talk about it, but the 'Prust Incident' worked for the Habs. That was a huge ingredient for them last game. We won't see anything remotely like that again, I bet.

Actually, if I were AV, the bolded line would be what I'd be stressing to the team. "Fellas, this is classic 'we're not good enough to beat them head-to-head stuff.' The mere fact that they're playing this BS game proves that they're scared of us. Every time one of them pulls something, remember that. And then keep playing our game."

Much better than just telling them straight up to ignore it.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Actually, if I were AV, the bolded line would be what I'd be stressing to the team. "Fellas, this is classic 'we're not good enough to beat them head-to-head stuff.' The mere fact that they're playing this BS game proves that they're scared of us. Every time one of them pulls something, remember that. And then keep playing our game."

Much better than just telling them straight up to ignore it.

Very true. That's another angle - channeling energy, and always for the positive. I really believe in that. There is so much power in all for one, one for all, unity in purpose.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I agree that we focus on hockey initially. But if a game gets out of hand like Game 1 did, I think we should look for blood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad