Speculation: The impact of these playoffs on trades/FA

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
After watching Columbus sweep Tampa and with the Isles up a goal with 6m left to sweep the Pens, I can't help but wonder how these playoffs change the trade landscape come Draft Day.

I feel like Duchene stays in CBJ now, that Panarin considers staying, but that Bob and Dzingel still end up elsewhere.

I think that Pittsburgh trades Kessel, and maybe even looks to move Malkin at the right price.

I think if Toronto loses to Boston, that Kadri ends up being dangled at the draft for defensive help.

I also think that Tampa makes a big trade to shake-up their roster. Maybe Stamkos?

I think Eberle gets overpayed to stay on the Island, and that they will be aggressive in free agency.

Finally, I think that Erik Karlsson leaves San Jose.

What do you guys think about how these playoffs are going to impact the rest of the league?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Tallon and Bobrovsky soon as CBJ's season ends...

cat-cash3.gif

Honestly don't feel the market will be big for Bob due to his contract demands.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Bob is gonna want huge bucks... Whoever gives it to him will massively regret it.

Karlsson leaves

Kessel probably traded

Kadri gone for a dman

One of Subban or Ellis traded

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I wonder where Panarin goes. Florida or New York Rangers I would assume.

I think Bobrovsky is bound for Florida.

I think Eberle will stay on Long Island, but I would love for him to come join Taylor Hall in New Jersey.

Reactions: bernmeister

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Very good post topic , been thinking the same as well as I hope the Devils aggressively pursue whoever becomes available
That and offer sheets hopefully get used this off-season.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Bob is gonna want huge bucks... Whoever gives it to him will massively regret it.

Karlsson leaves

Kessel probably traded

Kadri gone for a dman

One of Subban or Ellis traded

Almost certainly Subban over Ellis based on salary and importance to the team.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm interested to see what happens with Columbus. If (and a big if) they go all the way this year, do Panarin and Bob still head for the beach? If those 2 leave can they reasonably afford to give up that 1st to re-sign Duchene?

Personally I think Bob and Panarin head to Florida regardless of Columbus' success. If they land those 2, pay someone to take Reimer and then flip Hoffman for a top 4 D they'll be scary.

Tampa needs to make a move to get tougher. I'm not sure what that is.

Pittsburgh needs a shakeup, as does Nashville. Something around Kessel for Subban perhaps?

I also think, regardless of Subban, that Nashville finds a way to jettison Turris and replaces him with Duchene.

As a Leafs fan I surely hope Kadri isn't in the lineup come October, I don't want that asshole anywhere near my favorite team. I'd like to move Nylander as well. Get a d-man for one of them, a new 3C and futures for the other.

I'm guessing Karlsson leaves SJ to chase the biggest cheque he can get (DET, NJ, NYR or VAN).

Trouba is another name to watch. Its almost a forgone conclusion he hits UFA in July 2020. Do the Jets get something for him or use him as their own rental?

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I think Eberle's gonna leave and get overpaid elsewhere. He's our 4th most important UFA after Lee, Nelson, and Lehner, and we're probably gonna at least poke around on Panarin and Duchene. I think Ebs ends up the odd man out. And with his playoff showing, it's almost guaranteed someone is gonna give him more than he's worth.

Reactions: CREW99AW

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I think Bread and Bob are leaving Columbus no matter what.
Panarin to Florida, 99.9%, Bob 60%.

Karlsson, I think stays in San Jose.

Trouba will be moved if cap is any issue at all. Curious if Florida will be in on him. Regardless, he’s going to the Eastern Conference.

Preds will deal Subban.

Kadri is 95% likely gone from TO. Becomes 100% if Leafs get eliminated by Boston.

Duchene is hard to pin down. Right now, I think he’s 50-50 to stay in Columbus but that will change as the playoffs progress.

Last edited:

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I'm just spitballing here , but I think Chicago will target Duchene and dzingel this summer.

Anisomov gets moved July 1st right after his bonus and his NMC changes and allows Chicago to move him anywhere.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I'm just spitballing here , but I think Chicago will target Duchene and dzingel this summer.

Anisomov gets moved July 1st right after his bonus and his NMC changes and allows Chicago to move him anywhere.

Even if Chicago can dump Anisimov's contract with no salary coming back, it is difficult to see Duchene and Dzingel coming in at less than $14 M AAV (likely more). Chicago also has Debrincat and Strome coming off of ELCs shortly. It does not seem very realistic.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Kessel being moved and Karlsson leaving SJS seem like the only possible things on that list. I guess also maybe the Islanders part but that's not really a big departure from what they were probably planning after this season anyway.

Players can find competitive teams places other than CBJ, and even one of them leaving will have a domino effect on the others and Panarin seems intent on going to FL/UFA. Duchene seems the most likely to extend, but he seems to want to play in Nashville so after watching Bob and Panarin leave I doubt he decides to stick in CBJ.

Pittsburgh has lost in the first round before then won the cup the next year. They still have Crosby with effective years, they aren't going to panic and give up on half of the best center duo in the league.

Kadri's value continues to sink with his suspension. His contract is also good value for a team that badly needs cap space. They are better off keeping Kadri and trading someone with a bigger contract for real help on the blue line.

Tampa... No.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
While I personally wouldn't do it. I could see Pittsburgh trading Kessel for the right price.

Malkin. He is not going anywhere. 1: He has a full NMC. 2: It has to be restated every single off season, but Malkin loves playing in Pittsburgh, he has been very open about it damn near his entire career. The likelihood of him waiving to go to another team is very slim. 3: A lot of teams would have a hard time clearing 9.5M in cap space and Pittsburgh willingness to retain cap on Malkin for 3 more seasons would be next to nil by my guesses. 4: If Pittsburgh ever tried to push his hand on a trade, he would most likely just return to Russia, reasons being. Refer to #2.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Im hoping Carolina does well for obvious reasons and to hopefully demonstrate we have potential with the right player as 2C.

I dont know that there will be a large market for Kadri now due to the lengthy suspension ( I didnt say no market for those wanting to flame). Toronto may not get what they find to be fair there.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Even if Chicago can dump Anisimov's contract with no salary coming back, it is difficult to see Duchene and Dzingel coming in at less than $14 M AAV (likely more). Chicago also has Debrincat and Strome coming off of ELCs shortly. It does not seem very realistic.

Stan did say he plans to be a big player in free agency . It's obvious that changes need to occur on Their defense as well as upfront.

You can plug in a couple of kids from Rockford to fill that 4th line , but toews and Kane can't carry the team by themselves.

Debrincant , strome need someone who can play consistently with them.

Another skilled offensive minded center like Duchene would allow them to break up toews and kane.

Dzingel would fill in alongside toews with saad.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm interested to see what happens with Columbus. If (and a big if) they go all the way this year, do Panarin and Bob still head for the beach? If those 2 leave can they reasonably afford to give up that 1st to re-sign Duchene?

Personally I think Bob and Panarin head to Florida regardless of Columbus' success. If they land those 2, pay someone to take Reimer and then flip Hoffman for a top 4 D they'll be scary.

Tampa needs to make a move to get tougher. I'm not sure what that is.

Pittsburgh needs a shakeup, as does Nashville. Something around Kessel for Subban perhaps?

I also think, regardless of Subban, that Nashville finds a way to jettison Turris and replaces him with Duchene.

As a Leafs fan I surely hope Kadri isn't in the lineup come October, I don't want that ******* anywhere near my favorite team. I'd like to move Nylander as well. Get a d-man for one of them, a new 3C and futures for the other.

I'm guessing Karlsson leaves SJ to chase the biggest cheque he can get (DET, NJ, NYR or VAN).

Trouba is another name to watch. Its almost a forgone conclusion he hits UFA in July 2020. Do the Jets get something for him or use him as their own rental?

EK outside chance to hang w/Hank for 1 yr, big $, understanding if improved NY not kickin it on all cylinders, then he will consent to rental at the last trade deadline, Rangers eat half on expiring.

Trouba we think wants Panthers or Bolts due to his woman having medical studies or career down there.
There is a middle ground that Jets let them talk w/him, and if he agrees to extend upon sign and trade, that gets done.

I see Nylander + for Georgiev ++ which is not the sexy sugar dessert you want, but it is the vegetable that's good for Leafs. They don't need Geor. to competitive win in NHL, but do need better goaltending to advance. Would be help in net on elc. Very useful for TOR. Rangers can use Nylander also.

Unless a better $ deal happens, I see Marleau to Rangers for Staal at half x 2. Marc is now cheap to buy out, so he is depth/3rd pair LD or bought out. That's significant pure cap relief for Toronto, and at half he is 5.7 x 50% = 2.85; if dealt to another team, he can be retained again to a miniscule 1.425. So that is significant savings.

My guess

The NYR add Yzerman as GM and then sign Karlsson and duchene after drafting Kakko
Gorton is and remains our GM.
I could see Stevie Y as a consultant, but not replacing Gorton, who has made some good moves and has good sense of drafting.

EK. I can see conditionally, not a big splurge huge $ and term.
Overpay for 1 year, as I noted above.

No interest in Duchene; I could see him as a fit in Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad