The impact of JD&JK

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Looking back, the 2015 draft could be one of the best drafts in Jackets history.

Obviously it's TBD the full impact that Werenski, Nutivaara, Carlson and Gavrikov will have or how their careers turn out. But as of now, only 2 seasons later, it looks like we have 4 NHL ready dmen

On top of two NHL primed forwards in Stenlund and Kolesar

I remember going into that draft thinking that the CBJ need to do something to finally fix the defense of this team. It had sucked from Day 1. When that weekend was over, I was thrilled Jarmo had made it such a priority to pick Defensemen.

Werenski #8 - 1st round
Carlsson #29 - 1st round
Roupp #129 - 5th round
Vainio #141 - 5th round
Gavrikov #159 - 6th round
Nutivaara #189 - 7th round

What I didn't realize at the time was the overage status of Nutivaara. I knew that 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders were long shots at best. But I also felt (hoped) that Jarmo knew what he was doing when it came to scouting and late round picks.

Today, it looks like he went into that day saying "That's it! Enough!" We are going to fix the blue line on this team once and for all!" Maybe they were all BPA, but I highly doubt it.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
http://thehockeywriters.com/jarmo-kekalainen-draft-expert/

Didnt know jarmo had such a influence with so many top players. To me his drafts have been large and we now have the deepest stock of prospects in years. Seems like every year he finds some jem.

If we're talking about cracking codes, I have a tough time looking at a 2013 draft where:
- Kerby Rychel was a complete flop, with Anthony Mantha, Andre Burakovsky, and Shea Theodore all being taken in the next seven picks
- Dillon Heatherington (2nd-rounder) was a complete flop
- The front office needed a random person on a message board (me) to point out that they held a prospect's rights for another two years instead of needing to sign him

The 2014 draft has produced one guy who's suited up in the NHL, two walk-aways, and one possible gem in Merzlikins who might never come over. Milano was taken over several other players who have far exceeded him to this point.

2015 so far is looking terrific, with Werenski, Carlsson, Nutivaara, and possibly Stenlund and Gavrikov down the road...Bittner not so much at the moment.

2016 and 2017 are too early to tell.

Reactions: Cowumbus

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If we're talking about cracking codes, I have a tough time looking at a 2013 draft where:
- Kerby Rychel was a complete flop, with Anthony Mantha, Andre Burakovsky, and Shea Theodore all being taken in the next seven picks
- Dillon Heatherington (2nd-rounder) was a complete flop
- The front office needed a random person on a message board (me) to point out that they held a prospect's rights for another two years instead of needing to sign him

The 2014 draft has produced one guy who's suited up in the NHL, two walk-aways, and one possible gem in Merzlikins who might never come over. Milano was taken over several other players who have far exceeded him to this point.

2015 so far is looking terrific, with Werenski, Carlsson, Nutivaara, and possibly Stenlund and Gavrikov down the road...Bittner not so much at the moment.

2016 and 2017 are too early to tell.

I didn't like the Rychel pick at the time at all, nor did I like the Dano pick.

But its not like 2013 was a bad draft... he came away with Wennnerg, Dano(which now lead us to Panarin) Rychel(Harrington) and Bjorkstrand.

We got 3 usable NHL players out of our first 3 picks. And a 4th out of our 3rd.

2014 while Milano isn't blowing anyone's sock's off, he had an extremely solid season in the AHL. He was always a boom bust player, so if he can stick in the NHL, he's gonna have a good career.

And 2015 is looking like an embarrassment of riches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad