The hockey world's obsession with size is stupid

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Guys the point is that the bigger guy has all the advantage of being bigger but isn't a more effective hockey player.

considering things that dont show up in the points column, like board battles, hitting, separating guys from the puck, yeah it's far more likely the bigger guy is more effective in ALL 3 zones.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
18 year old kids do not have MSL legs.

1902gzy5wjbrqjpg.jpg

Pro athlete or not, if a kid is 5'8" you don't know if an 18 year old is going to skip leg day or not.

Sam Gagner is one of the weakest players I've ever seen on the puck. MSL was one of the strongest.

When a player is over 6'2" you worry less about how strong they are on the puck. A 6'2" player CAN protect the puck better than a 5'8" player of the same build.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Points isn’t everything. How many 5’9”-5’11” guys do you feel comfortable throwing out in a protect a 1-goal lead in a Game 7 type situation?

Pavel Bure was 5'10 and constantly out there defending leads in the dying minutes. That's why he had 9 EN goals one year. Small players are often quick on their feet.

Reactions: daddyohsix

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Your argument is like asking why you'd take the fast skater over slow skater, if they both produce the same. And you even answered your own question.

Are you talking to me? If the fast skater is also a dumb player who only skates around like a headless chicken, then I'm not sure I would take or prefer that player, no. A hockey player is more than a single asset or tool. Speed is great, but Michael Grabner is not a great player. Size can be great in a player too, but all big players are not great. It's the whole package that counts.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The risk with small players is them getting hurt far into the season and playoffs. If they can avoid that then the small skilled high IQ players are great to have. I think having a great mix of guys is the way to go. If you are gonna have size, use it. Dont have too many small guys either. I think a problem the Lightning ran into was they had the small skilled high iq guys but they get beat up and dont move quite the same. They arent moving their legs like they usually do and that creates an easier target. So either our guys need to do a better job avoiding hits or they just dont carry so many small guys? A question we are facing now.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Are you talking to me? If the fast skater is also a dumb player who only skates around like a headless chicken, then I'm not sure I would take or prefer that player, no. A hockey player is more than a single asset or tool. Speed is great, but Michael Grabner is not a great player. Size can be great in a player too, but all big players are not great. It's the whole package that counts.
No, I was talking to the OP. Trying to show that just a basic oversimplification doesn't really tell you much. Given the information available, you have to assume all else is equal except size (or speed).

Reactions: ehhedler

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think smaller players tend to break down faster and also tend to be adjusted to faster and need to work harder to maintain their effectiveness. See Skinner and Johnson on Tampa. After they had their breakout seasons they both had regressions the next year. Skinner adjusted but Johnson never really has and hasn’t matched the production since. It’s just generally easier to defend and stifle a smaller guy than one who is huge

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Depends on what "hockey world" you're talking about. It seems like most fans make similar statements as the title of this thread. (In other words, fans have the same thinking as the title, not the OP)
I think for the fans, it might have swung a little bit the other way.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Guys the point is that the bigger guy has all the advantage of being bigger but isn't a more effective hockey player.

if the only metric you are using to establish who "the more effective hockey player" is are is G+A stat, then there is a flaw in your reasoning.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think that hockey is getting less obsessed over size, though there is always a place for a 6'3"+ Dman who can play a bit.

You want ridiculous size obsession? Look at baseball. The players hit the weights(and other things) so much that they look like football teams. A 6'5" HS pitcher throwing 89-90 gets all kinds of looks from the top colleges. A 5'9" pitcher throwing the exact same velo? Naw. Why? "Projectability". I'm waiting for the next Billy Beane to start scooping up short pitchers(i.e. Stroman) who can fling it. They all get TJ these days, anyway...who cares about durability?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Let's say two players score 80 points. One is 6'3" 220 pounds, the other is 5'9" 180 pounds.

Everyone picks the first guy. Why? It makes no sense.

Yes, being bigger is an advantage. You have longer reach. You protect the puck better. You take hits better. You don't get pushed around in the crease as much.

Yet despite all these advantages you still produce the same amount of points.

Look at Ryan Johansen. Big but not physical. I honestly think if he was just as good at hockey as he is right now but 6 inches shorter no one would think he's a No. 1 center and absolutely no one would give him an 8x8 contract.

6'3" 220 Marchessault doesn't get earthquaked by Wilson.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, the sport that "matters" the most in the world doesn't give a single **** about size. Bro.
Short guy who plays soccer identified. :laugh:

If you couldn't tell that I was referencing the majority of popular North American sports by my post, you have a small brain to go along with your stature.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Points isn’t everything. How many 5’9”-5’11” guys do you feel comfortable throwing out in a protect a 1-goal lead in a Game 7 type situation?

Most really skilled smaller guys focus on their offense while a lot of bigger guys can produce similar numbers with a stronger overall game, making them more valuable overall.

I am perfectly fine throwing guys like:

Byron
Atkinson
Gaudreau
Johnson
Point
Panarin
Kane
Zuccarello
Spurgeon

Out there with a lead.

In fact holding leads is probably the easiest thing to do in hockey unless an entire team is in a mental funk. Getting leads, not so easy. Know a good way to get leads though? Skill.

Anyways I have no horse in this race. There are times when size (among other genetic traits) is an advantage and times where it isn't. Players should be evaluated on what they can do with the tools they have. I don't underestimate smaller players or overestimate larger ones.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Size got Manute Bol to have one day contract with Indianapolis Ice despite not being able to skate. Size got Theo Fleury to go on 8th round, 166th overall.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
You judge relative effectiveness based exclusively by points?

I think I found your problem right there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad