The Hockey News rates McDavid in Top Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The Hockey News ranked Connor McDavid in the top 10 players in the NHL...ahead of Alex Ovechkin and John Tavares...what a joke. Guy has played 48 games in the NHL and he is better than one of the greatest goal scorers in NHL history and a guy who has been an MVP finalist 2 of the last 3 years.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
The Hockey News ranked Connor McDavid in the top 10 players in the NHL...ahead of Alex Ovechkin and John Tavares...what a joke. Guy has played 48 games in the NHL and he is better than one of the greatest goal scorers in NHL history and a guy who has been an MVP finalist 2 of the last 3 years.

So they think he'll be top 10 in scoring this year?
Is that crazy?

Or do they think he'll be among the top 10 MVP's this year?
Is that crazy?

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
So they think he'll be top 10 in scoring this year?
Is that crazy?

Or do they think he'll be among the top 10 MVP's this year?
Is that crazy?

Agreed.

I don't think it's a stretch to think McDavid will be a top 10 player on the entire planet.
Heck, I've heard GM's, scouts, 'experts' who think he'll be THE best player in the world this season.

Crosby won an Art Ross as a 19YO and the argument could have been made that he was the best player in his 2nd season.
By all accounts, it's no stretch whatsoever to believe that McDavid could do the same.

Prorated over 82 games, he finishes 3rd in league scoring last year. And on the Oilers. The OILERS!

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008

You'd be surprised how many coaches, GM's and players who would probably take McDavid over Ovie and Tavares for this season alone.

Carl Racki would.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Ovechkin scored 71 points last year. 50 goals is phenomenal, but he's also the only player in the league who gets to play 2 minutes of every power play with other players feeding countless one-timers to him. That creates more of the gap between him and other top goal scorers than people want to admit.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
He wasn't even ranked in EA's top 50 players for NHL 17 if it makes you feel any better? Rankings are all subjective.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
You'd be surprised how many coaches, GM's and players who would probably take McDavid over Ovie and Tavares for this season alone.

Carl Racki would.

I dont care. Maybe a few years down the road, it is possible. McDavid is not as good as Ovechkin, no way. And in my opinion, not as good as Tavares either. All this talk of Edmonton having no talent, the Isles have very little talent at forward, you could argue Edmonton has better forwards, yet Tavares has CARRIED his team to playoffs three times and now finally back to the second round. Can we at least wait until McDavid ACTUALLY does the same before anointing him worlds greatest hockey player of all time?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
48 games is very little (edit: I mean 45 games) but McDavid was #4 in the league in points / GP. Just watching, it's obvious it is sustainable. Hockey News is just getting ahead of the curve.

Our team is also better balanced than it was last season, and absolutely everyone from players to coaches to the GM is geared to supporting McDavid in every way on the ice. He gets preferential minutes, linemates, and any other kind of usage you can think of.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Get used to it, he's gonna get complete benefit of the doubt until he slumps or stumbles. Too many feel good emotions derived from people thinking he's the next Crosby but even better and being proven right. He doesn't even have any haters that Crosby and Ovechkin did because he doesn't have the personality traits that rubbed people the wrong way in their early seasons (whining and diving for Sid and larger than life persona/being super physical for Ovechkin)

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Ovechkin scored 71 points last year. 50 goals is phenomenal, but he's also the only player in the league who gets to play 2 minutes of every power play with other players feeding countless one-timers to him. That creates more of the gap between him and other top goal scorers than people want to admit.

If there was another player with a skillset close to Ovechkin's, they'd be given the same opportunity. There's noone even close.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Well the Oilers aren't even broadcasted on the East Coast of the USA, basically ever. So I think all some people know about McDavid are highlights and looking at statistics.

People who actually watch him regularly are left speechless. Even our worst enemies and biggest rivals have the utmost respect for him. It's not just hype for nothing, he is that good. He's a generational talent and can do things that no one else in the NHL can do.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski

Remember that you are talking about The Hockey News. They are in love with McDavid as much as they are with Crosby.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I dont think being top 10 in NHL scoring is that crazy. He had one of highest ppgs in NHL last year over a pretty solid sample size, more than half year. I mean look at Stamkos/Tavares/Kane/Hall etc PPGs as young players, it continually got better year over year.

Some factors bringing his ppg down will be fact his shooting % will not be that high. But factors bringing it up will be fact hes a year more developed and young players ppgs tend to rise first 3-5 years in league. Also the fact his linemates will improve and will get help from back end if Klefbom/Davidson play full year and full year of Larsson

I can see him putting up 0.95 ppg and 7th-10th in scoring.

Tavares is a stud but lets not ignore fact he was pretty cold for much of last season. Ovy as well only had 71 points. Neither are locks to be top 10 in scoring

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I think he has a great chance to win the Art Ross this coming season. I still doubt he would be the "best overall" player this early just because he scores the most points, but he might be. Ranking him top 10 is not ridiculous whatsoever.

And I rarely over rate young prospects and players, he was simply that doninant last season. This year he will be a year older and stronger and have had actual experience, and with Lucic and a better defence the Oilers should just be a better team overall. I think they make the playoffs.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

I updated your thread title.

In the future, can you please use something more descriptive? "The Hockey News" doesn't cut it.

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
96. Patrik Laine, RW: Probably the Calder Trophy frontrunner. Good enough to make a major fantasy impact at 18. Could give you 30 goals with a ton of hits. Ovie Lite.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/thns-top-200-fantasy-players-for-2016-17/

6ADLV4r.gif

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't think this is as controversial as you think it is OP. How many games have you seen McDavid play?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Lot of those rankings are base on how they will perform in the following season. Mcdavid should be a top 10 player next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad