3. Robin Lehner (44)
4. Jakob Silfverberg
5. Bobby Butler
6. Patrick Wiercioch
7. Colin Greening
8. Jim O'Brien
9. Erik Condra
10. Eric Gryba

oh, that's a shame. With the season he's having, i'd have assumed he'd jump above a few of the 7-10 guys on that list.

The Fuhr*

oh, that's a shame. With the season he's having, i'd have assumed he'd jump above a few of the 7-10 guys on that list.

The list comes directly from a scout within the team... perhaps the Sens want to see more.

Another great year and I'm sure he will be there next season.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Got mine in the mail today!

Brayden Schenn is on the cover.

Top 10 prospects:

1. Brayden Schenn
2. Ryan Johansen
3. Evgeny Kuznetsov
4. Erik Gudbranson
5. Vladimir Tarasenko
6. Nino Niederreiter
7. Ryan Ellis
8. Jacob Markstrom
9. Mikkel Boedker
10. Jack Campbell

Schenn at the top is well deserved but other than that this is a terrible top 10. THN is becoming a joke.

The Fuhr*

Schenn at the top is well deserved but other than that this is a terrible top 10. THN is becoming a joke.

THN is the best source on prospects rankings

Quote from the 2009 issue:
"Each team's top 10 list of prospects - based on long-term outlook - is provided by a scout from that team, then cross-referenced and re-ordered by a panel of 22 NHL scouts"

Unless you are going to tell me NHL scouts are stupid?

I think I am going to go with the scouts...

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Habsfan18,

Is the format of the magazine like last year's or prior years where they used higher quality paper?

Thanks

The paper they used this year is identical to the ones they use for the regular THN issues now. So yes, I'd say it's better quality paper than last year's issue - where the quality wasn't as good.

I'd like to answer everyone's questions, but unfortunately I don't have the time right now. I can answer more shortly.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
A few more

Any other Caps' prospects in the top 75?

And what does the Caps' list look like?

Kuznetsov (3)
Eakin (48)
Holtby (65)

I don't want to post the entire list, as I believe that is against the rules. Sorry

Any wings players in the top 75?

Smith (17)
Tatar (38)
Jarnkrok (41)

What about Filatov? Thanks!

29th overall

What Devils are ranked?

Josefson (32)
Merrill (47)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I prefer to focus on my own opinions rather than the opinions of others. What about you Fuhr? You seem to be the master of controversial posts that conservative HFBoarders hate so much. You of all people should know it's okay to have your own beliefs.

IMO (which means in my opinion FYI) this top 10 is far too based on the WJC. Schenn is #1 and rightfully so, but he joins Johansen, Ellis, Niederreiter, Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Campbell, Markstrom and too an extent Gudbranson, in players that have had above average WJC performances. Too much stock is put into a 7 game tournament that hardly determines a player's potential.

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
I prefer to focus on my own opinions rather than the opinions of others. What about you Fuhr? You seem to be the master of controversial posts that conservative HFBoarders hate so much. You of all people should know it's okay to have your own beliefs.

IMO (which means in my opinion FYI) this top 10 is far too based on the WJC. Schenn is #1 and rightfully so, but he joins Johansen, Ellis, Niederreiter, Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Campbell, Markstrom and too an extent Gudbranson, in players that have had above average WJC performances. Too much stock is put into a 7 game tournament that hardly determines a player's potential.

Fuhr likes to believe hes a scout..Hell i take both Rundblad and Cowen over Ellis lol..

arsmaster*

"Each team's top 10 list of prospects - based on long-term outlook - is provided by a scout from that team, then cross-referenced and re-ordered by a panel of 22 NHL scouts".

I really don't know why there's always people who seems to have trouble believing this. The system had been the same for years and years, and has been clarified repeatedly ad nauseam on this board.

2 points I would like to bring up:

1. The lists are cross-referenced and re-ordered by a panel of 22 NHL scouts. Pro scouts? amateur scouts? How many scouts from each team? I for one think that their are probably 8-10 teams scouts involved, probably all from the Eastern conference (just my opinion...dont shoot me for having one).

I just find it funny....for example Tyler Bozak is a complete unknown for years, then the Leafs sign him, and he automatically gets thrown into the top 50....it is instances like that, that have me question the process. Again not saying Bozak is a bad player, but often its players recently drafted or signed, that displace players who have done nothing but improve over their development path.

It could all be down to potential, but for me potential only gets you so far, if you arent performing or someone is performing against men, and someone is hardly dominating in juniors I have questions about the process.

2. NHL scouts make mistakes, any scout will tell you that scouting isnt an exact science. For the amount of unearthed gems, they draft duds in the 1st round. Not saying any scout is an 'idiot', but I will say that if mistakes werent made, dont you think every 1st round pick would turn into a good/great player????

All these things said, I will buy the issue as always, and read multiple times as always....just saying I dont put huge stock into their rankings.

The Fuhr*

Which is more then reasonable but this opinion should have been expressed and not

A joke because you disagree with it?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

Well, what I believe Fuhr is stating is that while it's all fine and dandy to focus on your own opinions, it's rather silly to call THN a "joke" based on these rankings when the rankings are actually coming from the teams themselves.

Here's a quote from this year's issue:

"In preparing our top 50, we consult with each team's top talent evaluator. We ask them to provide a rough sketch of the top 10 prospects in their system, regardless of age, nationality or contract status. Each NHL executive is then sent a master catalogue of the 30 top 10 lists and asked to formulate a top 50 ranking. The spreadsheet does the rest."

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
Well, what I believe Fuhr is stating is that while it's all fine and dandy to focus on your own opinions, it's rather silly to call THN a "joke" based on these rankings when the rankings are actually coming from the teams themselves.

Here's a quote from this year's issue:

Lol and this same publication at one time said Filatov was the best player outside the NHL...you quacks will buy and read anything lol...

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Lol and this same publication at one time said Filatov was the best player outside the NHL...you quacks will buy and read anything lol...

I don't think you're getting the point here.

If Nikita Filatov was once believed in Future Watch to be the best prospect in the world, it wasn't because THN thought so, it was because a panel of NHL scouts and team executives believed so.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for some posters to understand.

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
I don't think you're getting the point here.

If Nikita Filatov was once believed in Future Watch to be the best prospect in the world, it wasn't because THN thought so, it was because a panel of NHL scouts and team executives believed so.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult for some posters to understand.

fair enough but would you rather have Ellis or Cowen??? in the NHL not CHL

arsmaster*

Ellis would kill the SEL at 20 years of age too... instead he will be crushing the NHL next season.

You mean 5'9" 180lbs defensman with average skating is going to crush grown men in the top league in the world.

You must not a) follow how Nashville develops their defensive prospects or b) realize that Ellis will not be able to handle NHL forwards in his own zone yet.....

The kid is supremely talented, but is tiny by NHL defenseman standards...he will spend at least one full season in the AHL...if he doesnt I would be SHOCKED:amazed:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Which is more then reasonable but this opinion should have been expressed and not

A joke because you disagree with it?

No, I consider them a joke because their product has been going downhill for awhile now.

Ellis would kill the SEL at 20 years of age too... instead he will be crushing the NHL next season.

That's a pretty absurd claim to make, no defenseman Rundblad's age has ever done what he has been doing. To say Ellis could repeat his play is very questionable to say the least.

The Fuhr*

That's a pretty absurd claim to make, no defenseman Rundblad's age has ever done what he has been doing. To say Ellis could repeat his play is very questionable to say the least.

50GP 87Pts in the OHL... has a legit shot at 100 points

At the WJC in a career 19GP has 25Pts compared to Rundblads career of 12GP 9Pts

Ellis is a year younger then Rundblad and if he was in the SEL right now he would be ripping it up at the same pace.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa

Ryan Ellis
2007-08 Windsor Spitfires OHL 63 15 48 63 51 5 2 3 5 2
2008-09 Windsor Spitfires OHL 57 22 67 89 57 20 8 23 31 20
2009-10 Windsor Spitfires OHL 48 12 49 61 38 19 3 30 33 14
2010-11 Windsor Spitfires OHL 50 21 66 87 53

See the impressive progress that he has made since he was drafted?

Me neither.

oh, you do realize that Ellis is 20 as well?

Ellis is over rated. Might he turn out? Sure, he is quite talented, but he is not as developed as Rundblad is.

Vic Vinegar

Oct 27, 2009
A few more

Kuznetsov (3)
Eakin (48)
Holtby (65)

I don't want to post the entire list, as I believe that is against the rules. Sorry

Smith (17)
Tatar (38)
Jarnkrok (41)

29th overall

Josefson (32)
Merrill (47)
aaawwww no news on the Kings? :cry:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
50GP 87Pts in the OHL... has a legit shot at 100 points

At the WJC in a career 19GP has 25Pts compared to Rundblads career of 12GP 9Pts

Ellis is a year younger then Rundblad and if he was in the SEL right now he would be ripping it up at the same pace.

1. OHL is not close to SEL.
2. The WJC hardly means anything, especially in Ellis' case. Anyone could put up points playing on Team Canada PP playing against awful teams with amazing talents.
3. Ellis is three months younger than Rundblad.
4. Again that's an absurd notion and the chances of Ellis producing the same are slim at best.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thanks to habsfan18 as always. Hopefully the issue pops up on zinio sometime next week. Here in California, I might be lucky if the issue hits newsstands by the end of the month.

Personally wouldn't be too surprised if there is some politicking involved when the teams submit their top 10 lists. I seem to recall an anecdote last year from Chris Botta (islanderspointblank.com) where he seemed to indicate that internally the team felt that Kevin Poulin was a top 10 prospect in the organization. But they had yet to sign him, so they opted to leave him off their list and not give him any further press clippings/leverage in negotiations.

The cross referencing seems to focus more on the blue chip prospects rather than reordering every team's top 10. So I wouldn't be surprised if there's more variance per team on their other prospects. Over the years, it does seem like some teams rank their signed AHL guys higher than unsigned junior/NCAA players which might not be a coincidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad