The Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Just got back from Toronto. I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame for the first time today. It was pretty cool. Not quite as big as I expected but with a lot of stuff packed in. The best part was the trophy room where I saw all the trophies. Looks like they will need to make a new ring to add Carolina to the Stanley Cup.

Surprised that several of the trophies are in relatively ill repair. Oike the Art Ross where many of the names on the trophy which are in puck like discs are turned in incorrect ways on the trophy.

The store there is excellent with a ton of selection and really excellent prices on Jersey's shirts and other stuff. They probably have the cheapest prices around on most stuff there.

Love the Habs dressing room mock-up, seeing the trophies for minor and lower pro leagues and the WHA Avco Cup. Amazing that some of the players were so small and that old equipment is so antiquated. The Wool Jersey's must have been very heavy to wear. Yvan Cournyoyer wore a very small jersey that I might have problems fitting in and I am not a big guy.

I found that most of the game used jersey's on display of Hall of famers looked extremely worn. They must have only used one or a couple of Jersey's to play the whole season.

Have any of you been the the HHOF? What were your thoughts?

Transported Upstater

At least we have the Cup there for some reason. :cry:

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
The cup on display is the replica. Those sweaters that are tattered are because the players wore them at minimum one entire season.

Just got back from Toronto. I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame for the first time today. It was pretty cool. Not quite as big as I expected but with a lot of stuff packed in. The best part was the trophy room where I saw all the trophies. Looks like they will need to make a new ring to add Carolina to the Stanley Cup.

Surprised that several of the trophies are in relatively ill repair. Oike the Art Ross where many of the names on the trophy which are in puck like discs are turned in incorrect ways on the trophy.

The store there is excellent with a ton of selection and really excellent prices on Jersey's shirts and other stuff. They probably have the cheapest prices around on most stuff there.

Love the Habs dressing room mock-up, seeing the trophies for minor and lower pro leagues and the WHA Avco Cup. Amazing that some of the players were so small and that old equipment is so antiquated. The Wool Jersey's must have been very heavy to wear. Yvan Cournyoyer wore a very small jersey that I might have problems fitting in and I am not a big guy.

I found that most of the game used jersey's on display of Hall of famers looked extremely worn. They must have only used one or a couple of Jersey's to play the whole season.

Have any of you been the the HHOF? What were your thoughts?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
At least we have the Cup there for some reason. :cry:

If you lookm at the Original Cup - (The actual cup part) Ottawa looks like a freaking dynasty like the Celtics, Yankees or Habs. They dominate the Cup for it first few decades. Too bad for Sens fans that the team moved/folded in the 30's.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The cup on display is the replica. Those sweaters that are tattered are because the players wore them at minimum one entire season.

Yes the Cup on Display was a replica - The Canes still have the real cup. But the Cup in the room safe is the "real original cup" that Lord Stanley donated. They retired the original bowl and the "real cup" does not have it's original bowl.

Still the Cup will get a new Ring when the Canes are engraved on it.

Also it is worth noting none of the trophies - Ross, Hart etc. have the 2005/06 winners engraved on them yet.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

I am not so surprised as to the condition of the uniforms in the earlier years up to the 1960's becuse I doubt they replaced the uniforms very often but even some of the 70's and 80's uniforms are very worn. I bet today a player must wear dozens and dozens of uniforms in one season.

driveforfive*

I may create enemies here but I believe the Hall of Fame should be in Montreal. Montreal is the mother land of organized hockey and teams from Montreal have dominated the cup. Just my opinion. Toronto was quite slow to catch on to hockey. Small Ontario towns around Ottawa and Kingston (Kenora and Winnipeg) had more developed hockey than Toronto. In the 1890's the Winnipeg Victorias (One league team) stopped into Toronto and played an aggregation of the best players the city had and were still no match for that Winnipeg team. Through the years Ontario and the city of Toronto has definitely put out the most stars though. I am just going on origin and Stanley Cup success. I am not certain as I am from Nova Scotia but I believe Montreal is probably still the most passionate hockey city?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I may create enemies here but I believe the Hall of Fame should be in Montreal. Montreal is the mother land of organized hockey and teams from Montreal have dominated the cup. Just my opinion. Toronto was quite slow to catch on to hockey. Small Ontario towns around Ottawa and Kingston (Kenora and Winnipeg) had more developed hockey than Toronto. In the 1890's the Winnipeg Victorias (One league team) stopped into Toronto and played an aggregation of the best players the city had and were still no match for that Winnipeg team. Through the years Ontario and the city of Toronto has definitely put out the most stars though. I am just going on origin and Stanley Cup success. I am not certain as I am from Nova Scotia but I believe Montreal is probably still the most passionate hockey city?

Kenora and Winnipeg are not near Ottawa and Kingston. Kenora is between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay.

Montreal could have their own Hockey Hall of Fame or a Museum celebrating hockey or maybe best of all another chapter of the official HHOF. I am sure that the HHOF is only displaying a small fraction of it's items. The Stanley Cup and other "highlights" of the HHOF could rotate between Montreal and Toronto (or even more places like Detroit, New York, or really any NHL city).

Transported Upstater

Kenora and Winnipeg are not near Ottawa and Kingston. Kenora is between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay.

You beat me to it; Kenora near Ottawa?!?!?!? :biglaugh: You couldn't drive from Kenora to Ottawa in a day if you had a rocket car.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

While we're at it, how many World Series have teams from Cooperstown won? Hell, has Canton Ohio ever had an NFL team at all?

Don't measure passion through on-ice success. Toronto is every bit as hockey-mad as Montreal. As it is now, the HHOF sits right in the middle of the largest hockey hotbed on the planet...what's wrong with that?

Transported Upstater

While we're at it, how many World Series have teams from Cooperstown won? Hell, has Canton Ohio ever had an NFL team at all?

Don't measure passion through on-ice success. Toronto is every bit as hockey-mad as Montreal. As it is now, the HHOF sits right in the middle of the largest hockey hotbed on the planet...what's wrong with that?

1967!!!!! LOLZ!!!!

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
You're right, the HHoF has all kinds of donations not on display. They do, from time to time, send out display cases full of relics for temporary viewing here and there. They had an exhibit in montreal at the Windsor station in 1993, when the All-Star game was here.

Figure with the right corporate partners they could keep a few mobile exhibits on the road, hitting the smaller centers where things freeze over in the wintertime.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Shouldn't the HHOF be in Montreal? Listening to different Canadian sports radio stations (via stream), I'd say Toronto is the least hockey crazed as the others. I honestly think that the size of Toronto alone is why the HHOF is in toronto and the reason the Leafs are always on HNIC. I swear, sometimes when I turn on the Fan 590 I hear more about the NFL than Hockey. I mean, you guys don't even have a NFL team why are you talking about the NFL so much???

Ogopogo*

Shouldn't the HHOF be in Montreal? Listening to different Canadian sports radio stations (via stream), I'd say Toronto is the least hockey crazed as the others. I honestly think that the size of Toronto alone is why the HHOF is in toronto and the reason the Leafs are always on HNIC. I swear, sometimes when I turn on the Fan 590 I hear more about the NFL than Hockey. I mean, you guys don't even have a NFL team why are you talking about the NFL so much???

I agree Ranger. As a % of the population, Toronto has less hockey fans than many major Canadian cities. Plenty of immigrants who are not passionate hockey fans find their way to Toronto. The NFL addiction in Toronto is funny, as well. It seems if Torontonians talk about it enough, they think they will get a team. Just enjoy the CFL, we certainly do in Western Canada.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I agree Ranger. As a % of the population, Toronto has less hockey fans than many major Canadian cities. Plenty of immigrants who are not passionate hockey fans find their way to Toronto. The NFL addiction in Toronto is funny, as well. It seems if Torontonians talk about it enough, they think they will get a team. Just enjoy the CFL, we certainly do in Western Canada.

I bet there's less Yankee fans percentage-wise in New York than there are Red Sox fans in Boston. In fact, I've been to both cities recently, and can attest to that. But so what? New York is just as crazy about the Yankees as Boston is about the Red Sox. It's just a matter of a much larger city skewing the demographics.

BTW, what's wrong with the NFL? I love the Argos, and for their sake I really hope Toronto doesn't get an NFL team. But is it so hard for you to imagine that people might want to see the best players in the world play the game?

FYI, it's not just talk. Ted Rogers seems hell-bent on the idea, and from what I hear it's pretty much certain that the NFL will play a regular season game in the Toronto sometime in the next 2 years. If it makes us un-canadian because we're the only city in Canada that can support a major pro sport other than hockey, then so be it.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I went to the Hall of Fame a year ago and I loved it. Spent 5+ hours there before we finally had to leave because of time constraints. :biglaugh: (Had to get to the Gretzky Restaurant, the CN Tower, and then to the big Habs/Toronto game). :D

Anyway, they had a lot of cool stuff there. :)

-Obviously nice seeing what all the records were and who held them. Authentic jersies. They also had a little some plaques describing each of the original 6 six arenas, which was informative and enlightening.

-Neat exhibits, especially the dressing room. Mondo cool. :banana:

-Neat to see the trophies up close. You really get an appreciation for them. The Conn Smythe trophy is even more beautiful up close. (Especially with Jiggy's name on it)... :D

-Cool games in the back where you get to be a shooter and goaltender. I can't play hockey, but hey I tried. :propeller

-Had a video from Gretzky that was nice, but way too long imo. Eventually had to leave.

Overall, an excellent exhibit. Highly reccomend everyone to go! :) A must for hockey fans.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I'm a great supporter of the CFL and Toronto won't be getting an NFL team anytime soon.

Regarding the HHOF in Toronto, even if your assumption of % of hockey fans in Toronto is not high is true, and it certainly isn't, the sheer numbers of people and hockey fans in Toronto and the southern Ontario area is enough to have the HHOF in Toronto. Where else can it go? Maybe Montreal because of the tradition and history. The HHOF ask most people entering the HHOF where they are from and many are tourists - especially from Detroit and the n/e U.S. Toronto is where most of the corporate offices are and many people in Toronto for business also seek out the HHOF.

The the HHOF is a non-profit, charitable organization and depends on corporate support and paid attendance in order to function. Toronto is the best place for those and other reasons.

The HHOF does have travelling exhibits across the country. Also, you would be surprised how many immigrants children gravitate to hockey.

Finally, there is no doubt the fans in Toronto are among the most passionate - they supported the team throughout the Harold Ballard era and where else would you see fans celebrating in the streets after a playoff win in the first round.

NassauIsles82*

actually Canton had one of the first NFL teams and I believe they hosted the first NFL game ever,, also Cooperstown is basically where baseball was born and I think the basketball hall of fame in Springfield Mass is home of the guy who invented basketball, so there is basically some symbolic reason for the hall of fame in those cities..

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
actually Canton had one of the first NFL teams and I believe they hosted the first NFL game ever,, also Cooperstown is basically where baseball was born and I think the basketball hall of fame in Springfield Mass is home of the guy who invented basketball, so there is basically some symbolic reason for the hall of fame in those cities..

what are you, the fact police?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I went to the HHOF and I loved it there!

I spent something like 5 hours there and another 2 hours in the store. The trophy room is really cool. It was interesting to see the room that the Stanley Cup rings are in and how highly secure it is.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

Which home? His original home was a little town called Almonte in Ontario, Canada. Then he lived in Missouri...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad