The history of trade deadline acquisitions.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
In that era Recchi-Weight did qutie well in 2006.

If we accept some time between the pick-up and the cup win, Bourque obviously being a quite famous one.

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Sometimes it's tough joining a new team and immediately hitting your stride. It can be a pain to move but mix in players with young families. Blake Coleman did well enough for Tampa in the 2020 playoffs but struggled a bit initially. I think people understood that he was moving with a pregnant wife.

And I suppose it depends on your definition of notable. If only for my enjoyment, quick run down of the Devils deadline acquisitions 1995-2012:

1995: Neal Broten - A couple weeks before the deadline. Gave an immediate boost (28 points in 30 regular season games, 19 points in 20 playoff games). Shawn Chambers was less heralded but was pretty solid.

1996: Phil Housley - A couple weeks before the deadline. This one always makes me smile since that was the first article I read on my home computer. Dave Andreychuk was acquired at the deadline. Both were reasonably productive but the team missed the playoffs.

1997: Doug Gilmour - Big ticket item with the hopes of giving the Devils a #1 center. Okay in regular season but not so much in playoffs.

2000: Alexander Mogilny and Vladimir Malakhov. Of the two, Malakhov fit in more quickly. Mogilny didn't put up points until the following season but was involved in the series clinching goals in the ECF and SCF.

2001: Sean O'Donnell - square peg for a round hole. Malakhov had fit in the previous year as a PMD for Colin White. O'Donnell not as much.

2002: Joe Nieuwendyk and Jamie Langenbrunner - Would pay off the following season, maybe moreso the latter.

2003: I scoffed when Grant Marshall was Lou's "main" addition at the deadline. But he was alright, although to this day I'm still shocked we won a Cup with Marshall playing on a "scoring" line.

2004: Jan Hrdina and Viktor Kozlov - Igor Larionov ran out of gas as we needed a top 6 center. Hrdina was okay. Kozlov was a weird fit but he'd be the one kept post-lockout.

2006: Ken Klee and Brad Lukowich - Lou navigating the cap for the first time, so they didn't have much room to bolster the lineup.

2008: Bryce Salvador - future captain, would pay off a few years down the road.

2009: Niclas Havelid - budget depth D, not a ton of cap space / assets from what I can remember.

2010: Ilya Kovalchuk - Lou went for the sexy acquisition, but was a weird fit with all the wingers already on the club.

2012: Marek Zidlicky - much needed PPQB, nice cog in the unexpected playoff run

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Artturi Lehkonen scored the conference and cup final winning goals in 2022. Josh Manson provided an otherwise missing amount of physicality on defence and scored an overtime winner against the Blues in the second round. Nico Sturm wasn't Tyson Jost.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
Bruins get swept by Montreal in the first round in 2011 without Kelly & Peverly
Ive heard some pretty convincing arguments that if vancouver had beaten them to the kelly sweepstakes it would have changed the entire outcome of that playoff

As it was the random bit of bad luck of malholtra taking a puck to the eye screwed up the equivalent 3d line on the canucks

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
That 2011 bruins 3d line with kelly, paille? And somebody else? was an absolute buzz saw though. In a way a sign of things to come because they were fast and physical, and the fast part became pretty important later in the 2010s

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
That 2011 bruins 3d line with kelly, paille? And somebody else? was an absolute buzz saw though. In a way a sign of things to come because they were fast and physical, and the fast part became pretty important later in the 2010s
Michael Ryder-Chris Kelly-Rich Peverly. They carried the scoring in the 1st round when the top two lines went ice cold and dragged them back into that series.

Paille was on the 4th line with Campbell and Thornton

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
Michael Ryder-Chris Kelly-Rich Peverly. They carried the scoring in the 1st round when the top two lines went ice cold and dragged them back into that series.

Paille was on the 4th line with Campbell and Thornton
Could my memory be playing tricks on me, I thought paille was sometimes on that third line?

Either way the bruins bottom six was unreal, especially in the games in the finals in boston where the canucks really fell apart.

In a way I seem to recall they presaged the coming of teams like the 2016 pens where the bottom 6 was fast enough to cause problems for opponents from the relentless speed and pressure

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

Also moonlighted in the defensive blue paint.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Kempny for washington in 17. Although definitely not a known name and they aquired 2 dmen i guess hoping something stuck.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Could my memory be playing tricks on me, I thought paille was sometimes on that third line?

Either way the bruins bottom six was unreal, especially in the games in the finals in boston where the canucks really fell apart.

In a way I seem to recall they presaged the coming of teams like the 2016 pens where the bottom 6 was fast enough to cause problems for opponents from the relentless speed and pressure
I'd have to watch the full games again, it's certainly possible that Paille took some shifts there here and there but I don't have strong memories of it.

There were a few lineup changes due to injury during that run. Bergeron missed the first two games of the ECF with a concussion thanks to Giroux's headshot at the end of game 4 against Philly. Seguin was inserted into the lineup there and played so well offensively that when Bergeronreturned he kept him in and benched Thornton until game 3 of the Finals when they put Thornton back in to give the team a boost of physicality (which they certainly would need after the Aaron Rome incident). And as Horton was out for the series, Peverly was elevated to RW on Krejci's line and Seguin took his place on the third line, but given Seguin's lack of defensive game at that point, I'm sure you're right and Julien had Paille take shifts with that line in his place when protecting leads in the third.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Ive heard some pretty convincing arguments that if vancouver had beaten them to the kelly sweepstakes it would have changed the entire outcome of that playoff

As it was the random bit of bad luck of malholtra taking a puck to the eye screwed up the equivalent 3d line on the canucks

maybe, but because malhotra’s devastating injury was after the deadline, it both wouldn’t have made sense for the canucks to acquire kelly and they couldn’t have fit him in cap-wise without losing something else.

going into the deadline, we had the reigning hart/ross winner as our 1C, our 40 goal 2C was the selke runner up the year before and a finalist the year before that, and our 3C was malhotra, who in a full season should have won the selke although most likely it still would have gone to kes. the finishing move was a 4C. we picked up the more than capable max lapierre ($900k cap hit). kelly’s cap hit was $2,125,000 with a one year commitment after 2011. vancouver was a team with negative cap space playing LTIR shenanigans just to meet compliance and going into the offseason with ehrhoff and bieksa both entering UFA.

the other deadline acquisition was chris higgins ($1.5 mill cap hit). kelly would have been an upgrade on mad max, but there’s no way we would have gotten higgins in that scenario. and higgins was our peverley, started down the lineup when we were deep but ended up being a key guy on our second line in the finals. very similar swiss army knife-type players too: good both ways, 20 goal upside, can play all three forward positions and can contribute on any line.

if manny hadn’t gotten hurt this would have been our game one of the playoffs lineup:

sedin sedin burrows
raymond kesler samuelsson
torres malhotra hansen
glass lapierre higgins

hamhuis bieksa
edler ehrhoff
ballard salo

luongo
schneider

but the trade i always say did swing a cup, possible two, is the 2010 deadline, when charelli (and i guess benning?) beat us to seidenberg. willie mitchell was out for the year and we ended up having to fill that hole with andrew alberts (or AHLberts, as we used to call him). in the offseason, we traded essentially the same package boston sent to florida for seidenberg to them for ballard, who was unbeknownst to us damaged goods. (actually a slightly better version of the seidenberg package—i’m still mad there was never any sanctions on tallon for withholding ballard’s upcoming surgery.)

TL;DR, only in the fantasy scenario where malhotra got hurt a month earlier could we have gone over the top with our first rounder (nic jensen) gotten kelly, for both logic and cap reasons. but yeah, he would have helped for sure.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad