The history of arenas hosting the Stanley Cup Finals and NBA Finals in the same year

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
As most of you know, the NHL and NBA seasons run almost parallel to each other and there's been several shared arenas between the 2 leagues throughout their histories. As I randomly watched a time lapse video of an arena being changed from the hardwood to ice, it brought back memories from when I saw a similar one of the Meadowlands Arena in 2003 when both the Devils and Nets were in the finals. I then wondered how often a single arena has hosted both finals in the same year. What I found was its happened 8 times, yet none of those times have resulted in both teams winning. Here's the list for all of you who are also NBA fans or curious about this in general. The winners are listed in bold.

1. 1957 Boston Garden: Bruins & Celtics
2. 1958 Boston Garden: Bruins & Celtics
3. 1972 Madison Square Garden: Rangers & Knicks
4. 1974 Boston Garden: Bruins & Celtics
5. 1980 Spectrum: Flyers & 76ers
6. 1992 Chicago Stadium: Blackhawks & Bulls
7. 1994 Madison Square Garden: Rangers & Knicks
8. 2003 Meadowlands Arena: Devils & Nets

Not only is the former Boston Garden the arena with the most shared finals, but it also hosted at least one final 13 times in 14 years, with the Celtics making 12/13 finals from 1957-1969 (1967 the exception, and the Bruins made the SCF the first 2 years here), then the Bruins winning it in 1970 on Orr's famous goal. Like 1970, the Bruins final appearances in 1977, 1988 and 2011 also came a year after a Celtics finals appearance.

There's some other notable instances of the arena hosting one final a year after the other, not counting years adjacent to when an arena hosted both (1991 and 1993 Bulls, for example). Following the Flyers making 3 straight finals from 1974-1976, the 76ers made it in 1977. As you can see though they only had to wait 3 years later for the Spectrum to host both. Before the Meadowlands Arena had hosted both in 2003, they had hosted at least one in the 3 preceding series, with the Devils making it in 2000 & 2001 and the Nets in 2002. Cool how the arena hosting both in 2003 was the 4th consecutive year it hosted one, and how each team had previously made it in that span.

As I was typing this OP, I found an article listing the 8 occurrences plus the dates of the games each year. Seeing that the Knicks had a finals game at MSG the day after the Rangers ended their 54 year cup drought must've been hell for the arena crew. I can't imagine having to turn the arena around for an NBA game the next day after all the celebrating that took place in the Garden that night. Heard the Rangers brought the cup to one of the NBA finals games at MSG that year too. I also remember watching the Nets first home finals game in 2003 after the SCF ended and seeing the Devils bring the cup to the game.

Here's the link to the article I mentioned that lists each time this has occurred: List of arenas to host NBA Finals and Stanley Cup Finals in the same year

Edit: Incorrectly stated the Celtics made the finals 13 straight seasons from 1957-1969, but they didn't in 1967. Also was wrong on the Boston Garden being the only arena where it hosted both in the same year multiple times, as MSG has twice.

Last edited:

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
Marv Albert had double duty with rangers and Knicks. Did he call all the games on radio for both teams? Heck of a travel schedule if yes

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
From research the only of the eight that had the title clinched in the same building was 1992 with the Bulls and Penguins against the Blackhawks
Never thought about that angle of this subject but thanks for the info! That is interesting that Chicago Stadium had both trophies hoisted in their arena that year.

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
Yea totally forgot about the Nets playing in a finals (nobody really cared about the...then and now)

Brendan Byrne (Continental) was such a drab arena. Way too big. Cavern like. But had some nice moments

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yea totally forgot about the Nets playing in a finals (nobody really cared about the...then and now)

Brendan Byrne (Continental) was such a drab arena. Way too big. Cavern like. But had some nice moments

The rink looked awful on TV too. The ice looked off colour (like you could make out squares all over the ice) , and the goal horn sounded depressing. It generally looked dimly lit as well. I wonder if it felt the same at the arena as it did on TV.

Another weird thing I remember from 2003 is that it seemed like they played welcome to the jungle on almost every whistle, and I always wondered what that was all about.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
In my OP, I incorrectly stated the Celtics made the finals 13 straight seasons from 1957-1969, but they didn't in 1967. Also was wrong on the Boston Garden being the only arena that hosted both in the same year multiple times, as MSG has twice.

Another fact to throw out there is MSG is the only active arena to host both in the same year.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Coming back to this thread, there were 2 near misses recently. The Avs and Nuggets have made the finals back to back years. Meanwhile, the Panthers and Heat are both in the finals, but they haven't shared an arena since 1998 when the Panthers moved a county north.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
1980 was a good year for Philadelphia sports fans. Flyers make the Stanley Cup Final, 76ers make the NBA Final, the Phillies win the World Series, then the Eagles make it to the Super Bowl.

Even though they only won one of those championships, just making it to the Final in all four major sports within a year is huge accomplishment.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
1980 was a good year for Philadelphia sports fans. Flyers make the Stanley Cup Final, 76ers make the NBA Final, the Phillies win the World Series, then the Eagles make it to the Super Bowl.

Even though they only won one of those championships, just making it to the Final in all four major sports within a year is huge accomplishment.
Won a WS, and the 2 teams at the Spectrum lost to a dynasty winning their first title (Islanders and Lakers).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad