Line Combos: The hidden future.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
My bad, forsberg is putting up mediocre numbers too. Must have been over excited after I saw his recent stats after the wjc. He does get some leeway because his young.

Jarnk is 22 putting up half a point. Also had a 10 games last year.

The guys who become nhl stars go to the AHL and are just too good for it, even at a young age. A PPG or better in most cases. There a few exceptions, but only a few.

I think this dude is already getting unfair expectations because we need some hope, someone to latch onto offensively.

Hope he turns into a star. If not, I'm sure it's trotz's fault.

I like what the DRW's development coach said about Jarnkrok.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/03/05/wings-move-for-legwand-smacks-of-panic/

Another interesting note he was the fourth ranked European skater in the 2010 nhl draft.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah how could he be on pace to have the Predators picking in the top 5 for the 2nd year in a row. Darn him!

OaJ4nFs.jpg

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Wilson-24
Jarnkrok-22
Watson-22

Decent young Center depth.

While that is decent none of them will be a number one in the NHL. Hopefully we can pick one this year or next in the draft. Watson is getting to the point of being a bust though (for a 1st rounder).

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
While that is decent none of them will be a number one in the NHL. Hopefully we can pick one this year or next in the draft. Watson is getting to the point of being a bust though (for a 1st rounder).

Agreed. Even with Legwand leaving this season, I would have to think one of these guys will be used in a package for a more experienced #1-2 guy. I like all 3 of them as players, but I don't have the confidence that either of them can become a legit top line player. (Less so with Jarnkrok since I haven't seen him play)

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
future line discussion

I'm kinda curious about the Preds Next year. Here are the forwards who have contracts next year.

Wilson
Fisher
Hornqvist
Stalberg
Nystrom
Cullen
Sissons
Gaustad
Clune
Bourque
Smith
Watson
Beck
Forsberg
Jarnkrok
Spaling RFA
Beck RFA

I look at this guys and I ask who starts on the Preds next yr? For the first time in like, ever, the Preds will have multiple young prospects for the top 6 and should lead to multiple trades of forwards. I ask about Gaustad because of the new faceoff rules does his faceoff ability fall off? If it was me....

Nystrom-Wilson-Smith
Forsberg-Jarnkrok-Hornqvist
Bourque-Fisher-Cullen
Stalberg-Gaustad-Beck
Clune-Spaling

Watson in Milwaukee, Sissons in Milwaukee (First call up),
I know most would say Trotz would never pair FF and Iron Hook but the skill sets of FF, Iron Hook, and Hornqvist would make a wonderful line combination.

Also this point, if the Preds go in house for a backup Goalie and decide to keep Beck in Milwaukee and or trade him, that will leave about 8-12 million for 1 forward spot.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Nystrom on the first line and Stalberg in the lineup over spaling, you must really want McDavid huh? ;)

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I'm kinda curious about the Preds Next year. Here are the forwards who have contracts next year.

Wilson
Fisher
Hornqvist
Stalberg
Nystrom
Cullen
Sissons
Gaustad
Clune
Bourque
Smith
Watson
Beck
Forsberg
Jarnkrok
Spaling RFA
Beck RFA

I look at this guys and I ask who starts on the Preds next yr? For the first time in like, ever, the Preds will have multiple young prospects for the top 6 and should lead to multiple trades of forwards. I ask about Gaustad because of the new faceoff rules does his faceoff ability fall off? If it was me....

Nystrom-Wilson-Smith
Bourque-Fisher-Cullen
Stalberg-Gaustad-Beck
Clune-Spaling

Watson in Milwaukee, Sissons in Milwaukee (First call up),
I know most would say Trotz would never pair FF and Iron Hook but the skill sets of FF, Iron Hook, and Hornqvist would make a wonderful line combination.

Also this point, if the Preds go in house for a backup Goalie and decide to keep Beck in Milwaukee and or trade him, that will leave about 8-12 million for 1 forward spot.

I am convinced you can add Moser with another 1 y 2ways contract in it.
He's cheaper than any of the expensive 4th line (the 8.5 mio line !) and at least as good as them ... and will only get better.

Last edited:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Nystrom-Wilson-Smith
Bourque-Fisher-Cullen
Stalberg-Gaustad-Beck
Clune-Spaling

I'd change a few things.

Cullen-Wilson-Smith
Forsberg-Jarnkrok-Fisher
Bourque-Spaling-Hornqvist
Nystrom-Gaustad-either Stalberg or Clune

It gives you more skill on the top two lines with some veteran presence to go with the FF and the Hook. Third line will give teams fits. Fourth line is a true grinder line.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm losing my mind because of personal issues so the idea of building lines based on nationality but that's not gonna work. I see Forsberg-Jarnkrok on one line but it could hinder Forsberg's goal scoring. Iron Hook has been on a tear 3G 1A in 2 games in the NHL. I honestly could see them as 2/3rds of a 1st line. Who's the RW? UFA? I could honestly see the Preds take a flyer on Gaborik. Preds should easily have 8-10 million in cap space next year

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm losing my mind because of personal issues so the idea of building lines based on nationality but that's not gonna work. I see Forsberg-Jarnkrok on one line but it could hinder Forsberg's goal scoring. Iron Hook has been on a tear 3G 1A in 2 games in the NHL. I honestly could see them as 2/3rds of a 1st line. Who's the RW? UFA? I could honestly see the Preds take a flyer on Gaborik. Preds should easily have 8-10 million in cap space next year

Again, therein lies the dilemma: Sure, we may offer a lot of money to come here.....but is there anyone crazy enough to take it and turn down better teams to commit to several years here?

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
If Fisher re-signs I would trade Cullen. If Fisher retires then stick him in Fisher's place. Since first line talent is thin, Trotz could roll three 2nd lines. Whichever one is producing at the moment gets the minutes.

I still think Stålberg can succeed in Nashville. Sticking him with the kids will either get him back on track and surprise other teams' 2nd/3rd lines or it could be a defensive disaster.

Bourque looked like he was going to be a decent offensive pest type player. Hopefully he's having a sophomore slump and starts to improve next season.

Spaling can't keep up his insane shooting percentage so he could be replaced by one of the kids on the 4th line if they are producing. Same goes for Bourque if he doesn't progress.

2a) Spaling - Wilson - Smith
2b) Bourque - Fisher - Hörnqvist
2c) Stålberg - Järnkrok - Forsberg
4th) Nystrom - Gaustad - Beck/Moser/Scissons/Watson
Clune

Will this lineup win the Cup? Nope. Will it give us a chance at McDavid? Probably.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
If Fisher re-signs I would trade Cullen. If Fisher retires then stick him in Fisher's place. Since first line talent is thin, Trotz could roll three 2nd lines. Whichever one is producing at the moment gets the minutes.

I still think Stålberg can succeed in Nashville. Sticking him with the kids will either get him back on track and surprise other teams' 2nd/3rd lines or it could be a defensive disaster.

Bourque looked like he was going to be a decent offensive pest type player. Hopefully he's having a sophomore slump and starts to improve next season.

Spaling can't keep up his insane shooting percentage so he could be replaced by one of the kids on the 4th line if they are producing. Same goes for Bourque if he doesn't progress.

2a) Spaling - Wilson - Smith
2b) Bourque - Fisher - Hörnqvist
2c) Stålberg - Järnkrok - Forsberg
4th) Nystrom - Gaustad - Beck/Moser/Scissons/Watson
Clune

Will this lineup win the Cup? Nope. Will it give us a chance at McDavid? Probably.

3rd line could work better than most expect. I watched Stålberg when he entered the NHL together with Bozak and some other NCAA player and they played really good (the sum was way better than the pieces). Of course, Leafs had to mess with it and Stålberg was traded. Forsberg is an interesting piece, showed really great potential during WJC and could become an excellent powerful winger with both scoring and setup ability. Järnkrok is talented and will hopefully grow into the NA game and make use of his hand-eye coordination and playmaking abilities. The key to such line is that they are allowed to play and not given a strange role. However, maybe Hörnqvist would be a better match with FF and Iron Hook, its never wrong to have someone crashing the net while having such talented line mates.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm looking at the roster and I'm wondering if the Preds might have to trade Beck. He is an RFA and could demand a 1 way contract. Beck was not used much on the PK or PP. Spaling is a RFA and should be resigned because of his PK usage. I could see Poile trade Beck an a pick of an upgrade and then sign a RW for the FF-Hook line. Light research tells me Ryan Callaghan would be a nice fit... And the Preds should have an ungodly amount of cash to over-pay for him.

Last edited:

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I'm looking at the roster and I'm wondering if the Preds might have to trade Beck. He is an RFA and could demand a 1 way contract. Beck was not used much on the PK or PP. Spaling is a RFA and should be resigned because of his PK usage. I could see Poile trade Beck an a pick of an upgrade and then sign a RW for the FF-Hook line. Light research tells me Ryan Callaghan would be a nice fit... And the Preds should have an ungodly amount of cash to over-pay for him.

RFAs in his shoes have very little leverage to demand anything. He takes the QO, or he doesn't play.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00