Line Combos: The hidden future.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Ok, I'm looking on capgeek. I'm going to make the assumption that iron Hook and Forsberg will be on the team. Here's my wild guess for a roster.

Stalberg-Wilson-Smith
Forsberg-Iron Hook-Hornqvist
Bourque-Fisher-Nystrom
Cullen-Gaustad-Spaling
Clune

Josi-Weber
MDZ-Jones
Ekholm-Ellis
Bartley

Rinne
Mazanec/Hellberg/UFA?

based on this the Preds wil have 16 million under the cap.

Let me repeat, 16 million friggin dollars under the CURRENT CAP!!!

That'S IF Hook and Forsberg are on the team and the Preds sign all the RFA's.

The cap is going to go up so EVEN if the Preds are a cap bottom team they HAVE to sign AT MINIMUM a player who will receive a salary at the level of the cap increase. Please note, the roster above has 22 players SO, you could see a backup UFA Goalie signing and ONE MORE BIG PLAYER.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
If we miss the playoffs this year, that's two years of missing the playoffs and that revenue. Combined with paying out Weber, the team is likely not going to have a lot of cash to spend on players. Given our division, if that is our lineup next year, we'll likely be in the same spot next year.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
So.....can we actually sign some useful offensive talent?

Let me word it another way.....can we convince some useful offensive talent to sign with us?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If we miss the playoffs this year, that's two years of missing the playoffs and that revenue. Combined with paying out Weber, the team is likely not going to have a lot of cash to spend on players. Given our division, if that is our lineup next year, we'll likely be in the same spot next year.

yeah you can say that. Here's the problem with that thought.

Healthy Rinne for next year
Forsberg and Iron Hook on the roster potentially.

The roster looks leaps better. Add in a top pick again who most likely will flesh out in Juniors. I'm liking the potential next year.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Forsberg and Iron Hook on the roster potentially.

The roster looks leaps better. Add in a top pick again who most likely will flesh out in Juniors. I'm liking the potential next year.

No guarantee those guys light it up and can handle top minutes for a NHL team next year. Especially under Barry Trotz.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
This isn't factoring in our pick in the draft, Beck, or Watson, so keep that in mind.

I'd love to see us throw cash (hopefully short term) at Stastny, Moulson, or (long shot) Vanek.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
No guarantee those guys light it up and can handle top minutes for a NHL team next year. Especially under Barry Trotz.
Beck, Watson, "Iron Hook"-- all pretty average AHL numbers. And they are supposed to light up the NHL? And if they don't, it's Barry Trotz' fault?

Forsberg only one with good AHL numbers and he's the youngest. Appears to be the most talented.

Staalberg couldn't make the 4th line in Chicago and now he's supposed to be a go-to first liner here?

Our 8 million dollar fourth line still disgusts me.

Might squeeze into a wild card if all the stars align.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Beck, Watson, "Iron Hook"-- all pretty average AHL numbers. And they are supposed to light up the NHL? And if they don't, it's Barry Trotz' fault?

Forsberg only one with good AHL numbers and he's the youngest. Appears to be the most talented.

Staalberg couldn't make the 4th line in Chicago and now he's supposed to be a go-to first liner here?

I said it was doubtful before the Trotz comment. Trotz sucking offense out of a young player is another factor. Not that we have 1st line prospects anywhere in our system. But even so, those guys aren't going to get the minutes or trust to be those players.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Given our division, if that is our lineup next year, we'll likely be in the same spot next year.

That's the way I see it as well.
3-5 years out if our young guys can develop........

Probable centers next year:
Fish
Wilson
Iron Hook/Watson/Cullen
Goose

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
We are fairly young on the wings and blueline, but our Cs are old (especially before we traded Leggy). Fisher, Cullen, and Goose all won't be as effective in 3 years. Lots of room for Wilson, Smith, Watson, Jarnkrok, Spaling, and hopefully a top draft pick.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I kind of expect us to not go out and sign anyone big and just let the kids develop for a year. We have a pretty young roster/core on the whole and without playoff revenue and weber's bonuses as well as some of the money we're retaining from contracts this season budget is potentially a concern for the team next season. Still, maybe I'm just hoping we're in a position to get McDavid next season.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
I kind of expect us to not go out and sign anyone big and just let the kids develop for a year. We have a pretty young roster/core on the whole and without playoff revenue and weber's bonuses as well as some of the money we're retaining from contracts this season budget is potentially a concern for the team next season. Still, maybe I'm just hoping we're in a position to get McDavid next season.

and miss the playoffs another year?

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

Stalberg was averaging about 14 minutes per night last season in Chicago. He isn't a "go-to first liner here" in the least. He's playing about the same minutes here. Disappointing for sure, but you're reaching a bit there.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Stalberg was averaging about 14 minutes per night last season in Chicago. He isn't a "go-to first liner here" in the least. He's playing about the same minutes here. Disappointing for sure, but you're reaching a bit there.
I'm going off the OP's lineup with Staalberg as the first line LW.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Yeah I just now noticed that. My bad.

There is no way Stalberg needs to be on the top line until he can begin producing.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Well, heck, we had players in our system that put up off-the-hook AHL numbers - and how many of them are still with our organization? (Calling Darren Haydar, Darren Haydar please pick up the white courtesy phone...)

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
and miss the playoffs another year?

You have to be for a few years to be really good in this league. Getting Jones last year, draftingmaybe top 5 this year, and maybe getting Mcdavid next would go a long ways in making the predators true contender for years to come. Being average and barely making the playoffs isn't the way to go.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN

2013-2014 stats
Jarnkrok-.63 ppg
57gp 13g 23a over last 16 games he has 19pts

Forsberg-.62 ppg
29gp 8g 10a

Beck- .72 ppg
46gp 12g 21a

Watson- .55 ppg
56gp 14g 17a

Explain to me please how Forsberg is the only one with good AHL numbers?

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
You have to be for a few years to be really good in this league. Getting Jones last year, draftingmaybe top 5 this year, and maybe getting Mcdavid next would go a long ways in making the predators true contender for years to come. Being average and barely making the playoffs isn't the way to go.

I agree with this 100%. If we want to get better we must get worse first.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
2013-2014 stats
Jarnkrok-.63 ppg

Forsberg-.62 ppg
29gp 8g 10a

Beck- .72 ppg
46gp 12g 21a

Watson- .55 ppg
56gp 14g 17a

For offensive players, you want to see closer to a PPG in the AHL. Forsberg and Jarnkrok both being in their first real season in the AHL get a little bit of leeway perhaps. Beck's numbers aren't bad, but I don't see him becoming anything more than a 2nd/3rd line tweener. Watson's a bottom 6 guy.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
2013-2014 stats
Jarnkrok-.63 ppg

Forsberg-.62 ppg
29gp 8g 10a

Beck- .72 ppg
46gp 12g 21a

Watson- .55 ppg
56gp 14g 17a

My bad, forsberg is putting up mediocre numbers too. Must have been over excited after I saw his recent stats after the wjc. He does get some leeway because his young.

Jarnk is 22 putting up half a point. Also had a 10 games last year.

The guys who become nhl stars go to the AHL and are just too good for it, even at a young age. A PPG or better in most cases. There a few exceptions, but only a few.

I think this dude is already getting unfair expectations because we need some hope, someone to latch onto offensively.

Hope he turns into a star. If not, I'm sure it's trotz's fault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad