The HFNHL's Unwritten "Spirit of Competition" Rule

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I guess the minimum OV does not work afterall.:laugh: I feel betrayed by seeing that a team with full of AHL is getting more fans on seat than league leading Eastern Division team:cry: There must be something wrong with the SIM and how it allocates attendance.:help:

Yeah. I'm with you H. Attendance is sure a strange beast in this SIM. There seems no rhyme or reason.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Again I think punishing the team is unnecessary -- simply remove the GM. The incoming GM won't be handcuffed by the consequences of the outgoing GM's action, and life goes on.

Agreed.

If a penalty is being assessed, this is the only logical option. Otherwise we risk going around in circles trying to come up with a draft-pick penalty system which is supposed to correlate with the severity of the cheating offence, when in fact this is something we should never have to encounter again.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It's just that the whole idea of an instant removal from a position worries me a bit. Especially without fair warning. I understand how some infractions are so severe that they call for severe responses, but the immediate loss of your team seems to be kind of harsh. I think we should perhaps make an option of forfeiture of the pick or resignation.

Default101

Again I think punishing the team is unnecessary -- simply remove the GM. The incoming GM won't be handcuffed by the consequences of the outgoing GM's action, and life goes on.

I would assume the pending consequences would be stricken from the record if a new GM took over the team before the draft.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto

On the other hand the incoming GM will also benefit from Dion's action by getting a higher pick. I think getting rid of GM is too harsh of a penalty. The best solution would be to assess where Carolina stood before the infraction and move Carolina pick to the slot and the rest can move up a notch.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
On the other hand the incoming GM will also benefit from Dion's action by getting a higher pick. I think getting rid of GM is too harsh of a penalty. The best solution would be to assess where Carolina stood before the infraction and move Carolina pick to the slot and the rest can move up a notch.

Or we could count every tanking game as a win in the draft position rankings. Mannino's and Bacashihua's combined 43 starts would give Carolina enough points to rank last in the draft ranking. So even if you try to tank you still get a win as far as the draft ranking is concerned and there would atleast not be a draft related reason for tanking.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Then you are punishing the teams that are doing things the right way, which is more unfair. As realism goes, if the outgoing GM screws up, the incoming one has to clean it up.

Frankly....too bad.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Then you are punishing the teams that are doing things the right way, which is more unfair. As realism goes, if the outgoing GM screws up, the incoming one has to clean it up.

Frankly....too bad.

Fair enough, I suppose. The most logical place to move an offending team in the draft list, then, is 14th overall. That is the latest a team can draft and not be in the playoffs. In the event that more than one team is penalized, then the worst offender would draft 14th, the next worst 13th, and so on.

I mention this because while I have made a point in this discussion of not discussing specific teams, I don't think this is a situation isolated to one individual team.

I understand people's reluctance to remove GMs, based on the assumption that this is the first mention of any "tanking" issues. However, this is not the first occasion that these issues have been brought up. Nor, in fact, would it be the first occasion a GM was asked to step down over this kind of issue. So there is precedent.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
If gm's are to get the boot is a different discussion, I agree. And I think your idea of moving them to the last non-playoff teams spot in the 1st round is good, better than just dropping the 1st rounder all together, I like that idea.

BTW....Pyatt and Sutton would look really good for a playoff team. Not too expensive and a UFA next year :)

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
I was almost restrained enough to stay out of this but have one thing to say ... I agree doing something once should not be cause for immediate removal. That said the person in question has a history of several questionable actions in the past and so has more than used up a fair number of strikes.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Take a look at that sentence for a moment. Is it even remotely plausible that somebody with such an honourable name would not have been exonerated? I would have cleared him on name alone.

If it was your name you'd be in trouble KeoUgh ;) Luckily it's Sean's.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Who are the other alleged offenders here? If Dion is getting his name dragged through the mud here isn't it only fair the others have to share the same fate? Doesn't seem right to single out one person.

Actually, what would be right would have been for nobody to be dragged through the mud.

If you think somebody is tanking, tell Matt G, the commissioner. Lets not have a public accusation thread going. One GM has already been wrongfully accused, so lets stop there.

Look at Matt's post to open this thread. Notice the lack of team names. Even Dion was not mentioned. I am pretty sure this was intentional.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
If you think somebody is tanking, tell Matt G, the commissioner. Lets not have a public accusation thread going. One GM has already been wrongfully accused, so lets stop there.

Agreed. And trust us, the other accusations of tanking have been brought up in the admin team, discussed and those GM's have already been talked to by the admin and warned. They have now reformed their behaviour. This thread was started because it seems as though the tanking was spreading to other teams.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Actually, what would be right would have been for nobody to be dragged through the mud.

Look at Matt's post to open this thread. Notice the lack of team names. Even Dion was not mentioned. I am pretty sure this was intentional.

Thank you, Rich. While it may make for interesting theater, issues such as these are rarely best solved via public bloodbath.

As I thought was clear in my initial post, more than one team has been engaged in some questionable line submission behavior this season. My intent was to offer up amnesty for past sins, while at the same time making clear that I have drawn my line in the sand, and heads will roll if such flagrant behavior continues.

For those concerned about fair warning, I offer to you that that's exactly what my post was intended to be. That's exactly why I didn't name names. Everyone's been warned. Enough. It stops.

Like I said, I'm no one's babysitter. However, some of the crazy ass crap that's been pulled in the name of throwing games amounts to a dare. Don't you dare.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Didnt see the 96 in health sorry and it's true that Thomas play alot of games for the Rangers. My bad. And apologize to the Rangers gm.:baghead:

Wow. I'm completely shocked and appalled that I've somehow come up in this discussion. Tim Thomas has played 41 of my team's 44 games this year. The only other players that have missed time were due to injury and lineup shakeups that were needed so I could get back into the playoff race. again...WOW.

anyways, apology accepted. just try and keep your foot out of your mouth in the future.

Reactions: Fooladelfia

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
wow! I just went through the team lines and yep I wonder how long he/ they? has been getting away with it.

As someone who has a terrible team but still tries to win every game I find this unfair. My top players play every game and log big minutes. You don't want your marquee players be it Ovechkin or Thomas then trade them to me I'll take them off your hands.

This is brutal. I could understand new GM's doing this but not guys in this long term.

I know this is old news (I started reading this thread late), but Timmah has played 41 of my 44 games this season.

Reactions: Fooladelfia

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Wow. I'm completely shocked and appalled that I've somehow come up in this discussion. Tim Thomas has played 41 of my team's 44 games this year. The only other players that have missed time were due to injury and lineup shakeups that were needed so I could get back into the playoff race. again...WOW.

anyways, apology accepted. just try and keep your foot out of your mouth in the future.

:booboo: Sorry

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
As I was saying...

I mention this because while I have made a point in this discussion of not discussing specific teams, I don't think this is a situation isolated to one individual team.

Exactly.

Agreed. And trust us, the other accusations of tanking have been brought up in the admin team, discussed and those GM's have already been talked to by the admin and warned. They have now reformed their behaviour. This thread was started because it seems as though the tanking was spreading to other teams.

Good to hear situations have been addressed and reformed. Hope they haven't thrown things out of whack too much this season.

Thank you, Rich. While it may make for interesting theater, issues such as these are rarely best solved via public bloodbath.

As I thought was clear in my initial post, more than one team has been engaged in some questionable line submission behavior this season. My intent was to offer up amnesty for past sins, while at the same time making clear that I have drawn my line in the sand, and heads will roll if such flagrant behavior continues.

For those concerned about fair warning, I offer to you that that's exactly what my post was intended to be. That's exactly why I didn't name names. Everyone's been warned. Enough. It stops.

Like I said, I'm no one's babysitter. However, some of the crazy ass crap that's been pulled in the name of throwing games amounts to a dare. Don't you dare.

Matt's a hangin' judge!

516nMLd11QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Astonishing that it was necessary at all, but I think everyone recognizes that this is the last word on the practice of tanking, and that subsequent incidents will be responded to with briskly meted out justice. :clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00