The HFBoards Leaf Nation Initial Morgan Rielly Rating

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Morgan Rielly has played 13 Games into the season and I was hoping to see what his initial grade will be from the Leaf fans. What initial rating do you give Rielly from 1-10.

1 - Will never be ready (Bust)

3 - Not ready yet

5 - Decent/Adequate

7 - Playing very well

10 - Calder nominee

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to make definite decision on the kid this early into the season. I just want to see the initial impression he's leaving on HFboards Leaf nation. :)

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I'd say a 7 or an 8. He's been good for a youngster but he hasn't been anything amazing. He shows signs of it which is good.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
if franson didn't have some bad pinches Riellys +/- would be a lot better and imo would have a lot higher rating here... however top Dmen help out their partners so.... hes still developing and he will be a star in the league for many years

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I'll say a 9. He's been better than I expected on the defensive zone of things and we all knew he had offensive pedigree and you see flashes of how great he can be offensively.

Imo, he's been our 2nd best D-man this season behind Phaneuf. Which says more about how poorly all our other D have been.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
8: there are times when he just blows me away with his speed and raw tools.

I have no doubt that Morgan Rielly is going to be an ELITE NHL defenseman.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
In between a 6 and 7. Played well, better than I anticipated. Think alot of the heat he's taking is cause of who hes playing with (Franson). I think if he was put with Fraser he'd play alot better. Id say hes been our 3rd or 4th best defenceman.

1. Phaneuf

2. Gardiner
3. Rielly/Gunnarsson
4. Gunnarsson/Rielly
5. Franson

6. Ranger

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
I'm going with 8; as I know he has has a whole other realm of offensive capabilities for which he has not scratched the surface. I think he's made quite a few rookie mistakes; but his skating and passing have been stellar.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
The person who voted a '1' is a Canucks fan. :laugh:

Obsession knows no bounds :laugh:

Anyway, I gave Morgan a 7. Considering the circumstances that he's played in, he's done reasonably well and it doesn't help that he's had to cover for his partner over and over again, you can only ask for so much from a 19 year old rookie.

At the end of the day, he has not looked out of place on a team that is 10-5 thus far, and has had his fair share of impressive moments. Still needs to do work defensively and be more confident offensively, but it will come with time.

We have a good one here guys :handclap:

glg51*

Voted 5... adequate to stay in the NHL... but has no impact on the game whatsoever.

Excited about his future thought.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
I'd say he deserves a solid 7.

For a 19 year-old rookie defenseman, he's rarely looked out of place both physically and mentally in his first 13 games and his offensive presence has been growing as the season has progressed. However, he isn't quite on the same level as defensemen like Jones and Krug, or forwards like Monahan, Hertl, MacKinnon, Barkov, and Chiasson.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
His play has been really overrated. He's been insulated, has been playing less and less minutes, has been a defensive liability, and has not contributed much offense.

He'll be OK.. but Liles would have been better for now. Probably will be better playing in Rielly's place against NJD tomorrow.

BayStreetBullies*

His play has been really overrated. He's been insulated, has been playing less and less minutes, has been a defensive liability, and has not contributed much offense.

He'll be OK.. but Liles would have been better for now. Probably will be better playing in Rielly's place against NJD tomorrow.

His minutes have been all over the place this season. The game vs Vancouver was his lowest TOI of the season (14:14), and only the 2nd time he's played less than 16 minutes. His role on the team hasn't been determined yet and won't be for a while, and his TOI game to game is a reflection of that.

mikebel111*

I say a good 7. Made errors but he has shown at times to be amazing.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
6.5, I'm impressed but I haven't really seen all that much offensive talent that he is known for.
Yes I know it's early, and he is probably focusing on the defending but id like to see some more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad