Player Discussion The Henrik & Daniel Sedin Discussion - Part IV | Encore for 2019?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I wonder if the Sedins could be effective if they focused more on 2-way/defensive play. They cheat a lot to put up points and their edge just isn't big enough anymore. I wonder if their skills could be transitioned to being better on the other side of the puck. I don't know but I think it would be fun to watch, and if they were successful help out a team with a number of young players.

The Sedin - Sedin - Gaunce line will be the best shutdown line in the game, 100%

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
That is fair. The Sedins are still productive players IMO (will score 50+ points). Even with them here I think we still have spots for all our young players.

3.5 Million each Sedins is as fair as it gets.
really hoping its more like $2 - 2.5$ ... they don't need the money and know they will be helping the team.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I've flip-flopped back and forth on this subject for a while.

I disagree with the sentiment that we have to dump them for the sake of "moving on", but I'd probably rather give their soft minutes to Pettersson's future line (I hope we can make a short, Vrbata-type signing instead of putting him with a black hole). The fact that our management is seemingly still putting them above the rest of the team is sickening.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
No problem at all with a 1yr extension. If we don't sign them, we're replacing them w ufa veterans for more term and likely not a significantly better performance. I do think there's a chance that the negotiation could go poorly and they retire on a bit of an unhappy note (eg them expecting ~4.5-5 and being offered 3-3.25). We'll see.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Posted this in the EP thread but makes sense here as well:

In a perfect world where we could pick the 30+ vets to play with and mentor our youth we'd all pick the Sedins. But when they are in the last year of their contract and we're stuck with Eriksson, Gagner, Sutter... you just can't keep all 5, there's just not enough room.

I would bring the Sedins back for 1yr (option for a 2nd), keep Sutter and jettison Eriksson, Gagner IF IT WAS POSSIBLE.

If I'm GMJB I am working my ass off to make that happen in the offseason.

Leipsic - Horvat - Boeser
Sedin - Sedin - Pettersson (this would be ideal especially if they want EP to be a 1st line center)
Baertschi - Gaudette - Virtanen
Archibald - Sutter - Gaunce
Granlund, Goldobin

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
No problem at all with a 1yr extension. If we don't sign them, we're replacing them w ufa veterans for more term and likely not a significantly better performance. I do think there's a chance that the negotiation could go poorly and they retire on a bit of an unhappy note (eg them expecting ~4.5-5 and being offered 3-3.25). We'll see.

See this is the point right here. If we don't re-sign the Sedins, will Benning fill those spots with 1 year stop gaps? What decent players would sign a contract like that? Signing the Sedins for a year means Benning won't sign 2 more useless players for multiple years.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Everyone is assuming they want to come back. 4/5 years not just out of the playoffs but bottom of the league.

7 years and 3 playoff wins. 4 bottom 6 finishes. Embarrassed by a poor flames team. Embarrassed by the sharks and kings.

Playoffs aren't going to happen next year either yet they are going to take sweetheart deals? I'm not so sure they do come back.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
See this is the point right here. If we don't re-sign the Sedins, will Benning fill those spots with 1 year stop gaps? What decent players would sign a contract like that? Signing the Sedins for a year means Benning won't sign 2 more useless players for multiple years.

It's a good - and pertinent - question.

Green has shown a reluctance to just throw the young guys into the mix without insulating them with a veteran player. How cautious is he with an incoming rookie like Pettersson? If the Twins don't return, who does he play with?

My bleakest scenario is that Benning signs some more over priced free agents (like Kane, for example) or that Pettersson gets paired with Sutter, which would just be a black hole for him offensively.

There's a role here for the Sedins to fill next season on the ice with regards to Pettersson, IMO. Their defensive game has faded, but they still draw attention from other teams' key defensive players which opens up room for a younger player with speed and skill.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Daniel is on fire right now. I don't expect him to continue at this pace for the rest of the season, but he is on pace for 59 points and 26 goals. He's 9 goals away from 400 career regular season goals. I'd also like to see him hit that milestone.

I think there is value to re-signing the Sedins for 1 year. Any UFA who can produce at that level is going to want term; the Sedins we get on a year to year basis. There is little downside as long as they are not preventing a younger player from developing. I also think it would benefit Elias Pettersson from playing a season with Henrik and Daniel.

Even though Daniel is having a better season, Henrik is probably more valuable in the next 12 months because we lack depth at C. Elias Pettersson is a really exciting prospect, but he has played a mix of C and RW. As a rookie, I imagine he will probably play on the wing as much as at C. Gaudette is also a factor, but he will likely start the season in Utica.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Daniel is on fire right now. I don't expect him to continue at this pace for the rest of the season, but he is on pace for 59 points and 26 goals. He's 9 goals away from 400 career regular season goals. I'd also like to see him hit that milestone.

I think there is value to re-signing the Sedins for 1 year. Any UFA who can produce at that level is going to want term; the Sedins we get on a year to year basis. There is little downside as long as they are not preventing a younger player from developing. I also think it would benefit Elias Pettersson from playing a season with Henrik and Daniel.

Even though Daniel is having a better season, Henrik is probably more valuable in the next 12 months because we lack depth at C. Elias Pettersson is a really exciting prospect, but he has played a mix of C and RW. As a rookie, I imagine he will probably play on the wing as much as at C. Gaudette is also a factor, but he will likely start the season in Utica.

Agree with everything you've said here. As good as Daniel has been of late, I feel Henrik has had a really tough stretch of games. As the center on his line, it's easier for his lack of recovery speed and defensive play to get exposed, but nonetheless.

Either way - I'd feel better retaining them for a year to have Pettersson ride shotgun with than have Benning go out and throw big money and term at a UFA like Evander Kane.

Reactions: Nomobo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would bring the Sedins back for 1yr (option for a 2nd), keep Sutter and jettison Eriksson, Gagner IF IT WAS POSSIBLE.

If I'm GMJB I am working my ass off to make that happen in the offseason.

Leipsic - Horvat - Boeser
Sedin - Sedin - Pettersson (this would be ideal especially if they want EP to be a 1st line center)
Baertschi - Gaudette - Virtanen
Archibald - Sutter - Gaunce
Granlund, Goldobin

Those are Benning's guys. Eriksson, untradeable until the end of his 4th year and after the team pays his $3 million signing bonus to leave $5 million cash left to pay over the final 2 years of his deal. It's a SUNK COST. Accept it and move on.

Gagner, have to eat some of that contract to move him. Is that worth it?

Sedins, IMO get way too much premium starts. For 17 year vets, they should be a legit option to start in the defensive zone after Sutter's line. To keep Bo's line in that role after Sutter means fewer offensive opportunities for Bo's line.

We know how this regime operates. Twins will get whatever they want. NTC, NMC, whatever salary they feel is appropriate. Pretty much a blank contract and they fill in their terms. More of the same.

As for the mentoring aspect, outside of Bo and Brock, what other 25 and under player on the roster would you write down in PEN to be on the team at the start of the 2020-2021?
Jury still out on Hutton. Stecher likely the most likely since he's a RHD. Virtanen? Next season is put up or shut up time for him. Same with Goldy. Pouliot, Granny, Bear, Gaunce? How much have the Sedins mentored this group?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Canucks must signal a new direction or remain NHL's biggest joke. Sedins return blocks that narrative. Whatever, this is a moronic management group. They won't understand.

with eriksson, sutter, gudbranson, gagner, and whatever human garbage at large, who cares what other ppl think if the sedins are/aren’t here?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
^ or another way of saying it, why play make-believe new direction just bc junior nelson cares too much what other fanbases say?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The Canucks do need a fresh direction. I remember how people freaked out that this team would decline when we lost Naslund. People used to tell me how I would regret wanting Naslund pushed out and would be wishing we had him back. That wasn't the case. That won't be the case with the Sedins either.

Except the only problem is Benning has filled this team with so much junk that the Sedins aren't anywhere close to the top of the list of players who we need to get rid of.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The Canucks do need a fresh direction. I remember how people freaked out that this team would decline when we lost Naslund. People used to tell me how I would regret wanting Naslund pushed out and would be wishing we had him back. That wasn't the case. That won't be the case with the Sedins either.

Except the only problem is Benning has filled this team with so much junk that the Sedins aren't anywhere close to the top of the list of players who we need to get rid of.
I wonder how Horvat and Boeser would do with 75% oZone starts. I think this is a point that gets lost. If the Sedins aren't taking the faceoffs in the offensive zone and aren't taking 3/4 of the powerplay time, two other players are.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I wonder how Horvat and Boeser would do with 75% oZone starts. I think this is a point that gets lost. If the Sedins aren't taking the faceoffs in the offensive zone and aren't taking 3/4 of the powerplay time, two other players are.

Absolutely. People talk about how the Sedins aren't blocking anyone but they ignore this fact. The Sedins without those oZone starts get eviscerated defensively. They need to be sheltered with those starts, which puts more stress on the youth who are putting up the bulk of our offense.

Reactions: iceburg

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Unless they are willing to sign for a total sweetheart deal we should move on. We are going to suck with or without them, so it might as well be without them. We need and have needed a big injection of fresh energy for a long time and it's time to turn the page.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
The people thinking the Sedins will sign for $2-3.5M are in for a surprise when the Sedins re-sign for $5M+
Even at 5-6m each it would be okay for a one year only deal. Like others say it prevents Benning from signing more Erikssons. Draft a good D this summer. Sedins come back, Pettersson has a linemates that isnt Sutter or Gagner. Re-sign our glut of average RFAs. Tank continues while evaluating players and prospects. If they sign for less than 5 we could actually have a year where we use cap space as an asset in a future trade. Finish bottom 5 again and the Sedins retire summer 2019. Pettersson becomes a Center the following year

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Even at 5-6m each it would be okay for a one year only deal. Like others say it prevents Benning from signing more Erikssons. Draft a good D this summer. Sedins come back, Pettersson has a linemates that isnt Sutter or Gagner. Re-sign our glut of average RFAs. Tank continues while evaluating players and prospects. If they sign for less than 5 we could actually have a year where we use cap space as an asset in a future trade. Finish bottom 5 again and the Sedins retire summer 2019. Pettersson becomes a Center the following year

This also makes complete sense too. It just sucks that this team’s future has to be placed on hold because of incompetent management, that bringing back 2 38 year olds is preferable because of what the GM would do with that cap space.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
If the Sedins wants to come back, they would be great leadership,
But I want to see the C to be passed to Horvat, preferably Mid May, so there's plenty of time for the novelty to wear off and come September, it's game time.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I am a big Sedin fan. But if they get north of $4M I will be annoyed. They have been great for the Canucks, but they are now very wealthy gentlemen. 1 or 2 years, NMC, and $2.5 - 3M max.

And there is no way that Pettersson should ever play with Sedins 5 on 5. This would be the softest line in the history of the Canucks. I actually wouldn't mind signing E. Kane 7 x $4.5 - 5 M. Tell him he plays with either the Sedins, or with Pettersson.

Baerts Horvat Boeser
Dahlen Pettersson Kane
Sedin sedin Virtanen

the rest of the junk .... re-sign Vanek if he takes the same deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad