Speculation: The Hamhuis injury effect & solution

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Corrado had like 3 goals last year, more than Hamhuis probably did, and has looked good leading Utica to 1st.
Uh...

What?

Corrado had 1 goal last year, the only goal in his career so far.

Hamhuis had 5 goals last year.

At least even try to look at a stats sheet before you literally pull numbers out of your ass.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
I'd prefer the team stand pat. Despite our record, I think this team is still in transition. While the goal is to make the playoffs each year, the future is of great importance and I want no hand in trading away any future assets for some minor stopgap. Even less for a proven solution because then that will cost more than what I would like to give.

If Richardson were injured long-term, I would say that this is a great opportunity for Horvat. Although Stanton, Weber, Sbisa, and Corrado each seem to have their problems and do not have the same pedigree, Hamhuis' injury is simply another opportunity for one or more of these players to step up.

We are not a Stanley Cup contending team who's window is closing anymore and making a trade to fix the gap left by Hamhuis is only something I would want that team to do. Let the depth defensemen play and lets have some fun with it. No one player is going to replace him so lets see what Willie can get out of the group.

At the very least, they'll go through several games and assess the situation before making any decisions.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
It's not good obviously. I think we can get to around Christmas or so with the guys we have now, so long as nobody else gets hurt and then evaluate how we are doing and what is it looking like for Hamhuis coming back (it looked bad, could be out for the year?). Schedule gets a lot tougher in the new year, might have to add on defence if someone else gets hurt or if we start to struggle here in the next month or two.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Another thing, Stanton and Sbisa are just back from injury themselves. The fact Corrado is up and not someone else tells me that they expect someone else not to be able to go here, they wouldn't bring up Corrado just to sit in the press box...one of the other guys is probably pretty hurting still as well.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
The thing i don't get...is that it was Frankie they recalled for this. You have to think if they're recalling Corrado for a "long-term" Hamhuis injury, you've gotta get the kid in there, into games, playing, developing, etc. I mean, they didn't bring up Sanguinetti...we're talking about a still very much developing young player. He needs to play.

So in that sense...places a lot of pressure on Corrado's shoulders to peform and get back to the player/prospect he seemed to be when he slotted in for the playoffs vs Kings and actually looked like he might have earned that opportunity fairly based on what he'd done as a player.

Yeah I agree. I wouldn't mind a bit trade for a depth defenceman for that reason.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Force-fitting Corrado is a panic move. The Canucks do not have any depth on defense. There are no NHL defensemen to call up. Corrado is an AHL player.

Linden, Benning and Desjardins seem to have a handle on things. I am comfortable thinking they knew about this eventuality. It is probable they tried lots of things pre-season to address this. I speculate guys like Del Zotto and Ehrhoff heard from the team last Summer. If Canucks were unable to do a fix all Summer, I do not think they will attempt it now. Trading guys for a defenseman is a lot harder than signing a free agent. This is made worse by the current market conditions where several teams are openly seeking defense.

Canucks will need lights out goaltending and godly games from the last six NHL defensemen to continue winning. This is asking a lot. I seriously think that if a trade cannot be made, the team should look at signing a free agent. Even if they sign a battered old man that can only play six minutes a night and powerplays, they will be better off.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Force-fitting Corrado is a panic move. The Canucks do not have any depth on defense. There are no NHL defensemen to call up. Corrado is an AHL player.

Linden, Benning and Desjardins seem to have a handle on things. I am comfortable thinking they knew about this eventuality. It is probable they tried lots of things pre-season to address this. I speculate guys like Del Zotto and Ehrhoff heard from the team last Summer. If Canucks were unable to do a fix all Summer, I do not think they will attempt it now. Trading guys for a defenseman is a lot harder than signing a free agent. This is made worse by the current market conditions where several teams are openly seeking defense.

Canucks will need lights out goaltending and godly games from the last six NHL defensemen to continue winning. This is asking a lot. I seriously think that if a trade cannot be made, the team should look at signing a free agent. Even if they sign a battered old man that can only play six minutes a night and powerplays, they will be better off.

All because of a Hamhuis injury? The guy is more overrated than I thought he was. He's obviously better, but it's almost like Jason Garrison part deus.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

If you were to just take one step outside your front door and look up, you would see that the sky is, in fact, not falling.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
All very likely.

It's possible but I wouldn't say very likely.

Sedins would have to sustain a pace that only a dozen players were capable of last season.
Tanev is the weak link as far as durability goes. He isn't as solidly built as the others.
Miller would likely have to have a sv% of 0.920 or greater the rest of the way, something he hasn't done in that long a stretch in years.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
Although I do agree that our defence looks quite bleak, and we are one more injury away from it being pretty awful, I think that in situations like this, you have to see what you have got in your organization. It is true that our current organizational depth on defence is extremely thin, sometimes players thrive when given opportunity. Sometimes they fall flat on their face, but it is a perfect way to find out.

Last year was one of those crazy seasons for the Redwings, but I think the team is better for it now that they know what they have in their players.

Maybe Sbisa realizes his potential. Maybe Sanguinetti gets the opportunity at an older age and finally shows why he was drafted 21st overall. I am not making the argument that it is likely to happen, but I think you have to find out what character you have in your own company before you start hiring from abroad.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
Team's been beating the odds so far this season. Give the players a chance to fix the problem over the next few games. If/when they falter, then there is a choice to be made.

a.) Trade for a vet d that can improve the situation.
b.) Leave things as they fall and acquire a high draft pick.
c.) Trade for a really good d prospect; which also takes care of the team's shallow d prospect depth. This probably means giving up a F prospect and the 1st. Maybe include a goalie prospect as well.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
I'd say the Hamhuis is something to panic over. We are so thin after our top group of dmen we need to acquire another legit top 4.

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
9. In a league where useful defencemen are a hot commodity, surprising no one claimed Arizona’s David Schlemko on waivers. Could be a cap issue. Curious to see if Vancouver is interested after Dan Hamhuis’s Thursday night injury. Two years ago, Schlemko was asked who had the biggest influence on his hockey career. Answer: Willie Desjardins.

From Friedman's 30 Thoughts
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-financial-woes-not-unique-to-johnson/

If we could convince Phoenix to swap Schlemko for Sestito I'd do it. We need another warm body for depth purposes.

Schlemko's salary: $1,275,000 cap hit: $1,187,500 (contract ends after this season)

Sestito's salary: $750,000 (100k signing bonus already paid) cap hit: $750,000 (contract also ends after this season)

Phoenix would save $525,000 (before prorating)

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I'd prefer the team stand pat. Despite our record, I think this team is still in transition. While the goal is to make the playoffs each year, the future is of great importance and I want no hand in trading away any future assets for some minor stopgap. Even less for a proven solution because then that will cost more than what I would like to give.

If Richardson were injured long-term, I would say that this is a great opportunity for Horvat. Although Stanton, Weber, Sbisa, and Corrado each seem to have their problems and do not have the same pedigree, Hamhuis' injury is simply another opportunity for one or more of these players to step up.

We are not a Stanley Cup contending team who's window is closing anymore and making a trade to fix the gap left by Hamhuis is only something I would want that team to do. Let the depth defensemen play and lets have some fun with it. No one player is going to replace him so lets see what Willie can get out of the group.

At the very least, they'll go through several games and assess the situation before making any decisions.

agree with everything here

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
At least we don't have to watch him on the pp for a while...

Yes, it's still a blow.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
When I start seeing pics of Canucks goals against with the caption "this guy scored" then they will be the worst D in the league.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I find it funny Hamhuis was injured like minutes into the game.

And with 5 dmen we still take Anaheim to OT.

Fans servery underrate Sbisa and Weber, we have a championship mentality so anyone who isn't Erfhoff is a pending improvement waiting to happen.

Corrado had like 3 goals last year, more than Hamhuis probably did, and has looked good leading Utica to 1st.

No trades, just let's see if Corrado, Stanton, Sbisa/Weber can handle the pressure they've already handled for 15+ games now

I'd go a little easier on the plaudits. Frank has been good at times and not so good at times in Utica this season. He was just starting to perform better as an offensive player. His D is still shaky if you are considering him as an NHL player. To be sure, he has not been leading the Comets to first in Utica. He has chipped in, but there are three other guys who have outplayed him as a defenseman when in the lineup; Huskins, Sanguinetti, and Biega. Ehrhardt has been equally as good. He gets the offensive edge over all except Sanguinetti (2/6 for 8 points) and at times Biega ( 1/5 for 6 points) has been as good. Even Tommernes has 2/4 for 6 points. Frank has a total of 2 goals and 1 assist for 3 points. He has hardly been leading the Comets to first.

You also include Corrado in the group you say have handled the pressure for 15 games so far this season. According to the published stats Frank has played 0 games for the Canucks so far while missing 1/3 of the Comets games sitting out in Vancouver. Therefore, he has handled nothing in Vancouver so far. Until the coach decides he's worth a chance to play, he is wasted in Vancouver.

Hopefully, for Frankie, he will get a chance to prove he either belongs in Vancouver or needs to stay in Utica. We wish Frankie only the best, but he needs the opportunity to prove himself.

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
We def have the worst defense / goalie combo in the league.

YBvQA.gif

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
We are 13-6-1, have a + goal differential and a top 10 PK unit.

Losing Hamhuis is going to sting, but def worst? Even worse than the Sabres and Oilers? Really?

Please explain how that's true.

You can stop quoting him.

He hates this team.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
One game played. One game for Frankie in the press box. He is developing just fine.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
From what I gather, Desjardins' strategies require smart D, and attentive two-way forwards. He has a fast transition to counterattack and the D are required to pinch and aid the cycle offensively, which means the forwards have to constantly wheel back to fill the gap (maybe this is why Vey had to sit down for a little while).

Whoever they get, whether it is Corrado or a recycled Salo, had better be a quick study. Didn't Sbisa mention in an interview that it was a style that was pretty different from all the others he had been taught? The good thing is that apparently you don't need to be a massive guy to play this way, because the idea is to keep pressure all the time all over the ice, not to sit back in your lane like a cobra, waiting to pounce when the forward gets too close to the slot.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
uhh nope, now is the perfect time to panic actually.

Alexander Edler
Kevin Bieksa
Chris Tanev
Luca Sbisa
Yannick Weber
Ryan Stanton
Frank Corrado
Bobby Sanguinetti

That is the worst defense we've had in a long time. And we're only missing Hamhuis.

Every one of those players is playing two-three notches above themselves.

Bieksa has been horrible all season and Edler/Tanev are where you'd expect them to be.
The others are all under age 25 (save Weber), so if they are a few notches above themselves (which I disagree with anyway) it's generally called "improvement" or "progress"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad