TBN: The Hamburglar' robbing opposing AHL shooters at rapid pace in hot streak

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
'The Hamburglar' robbing opposing AHL shooters at rapid pace in hot streak
ROCHESTER – Having recorded four shutouts in his last 10 starts, Andrew Hammond might be the American Hockey League’s best goalie right now.
Hammond, 31, has compiled a 7-2-1 record with a 1.40 goals-against and a .947 save percentage since Nov. 1 with the Americans.
Hammond has developed a rhythm in Rochester that he hasn’t felt in a long time. Overall, he has played 16 games, compiling a 10-3-2 mark with a 2.21 goals-against average and a .916 save percentage.
He’s on pace to play 45 games, the most since he appeared in 48 contests between Ottawa and the Binghamton Senators in 2014-15.
In Hammond and prospect Jonas Johansson, the Amerks possess arguably the league’s best goaltending tandem.

Then and Now
Hammond talks about leading the Sens to a playoff berth as a rookie by compiling a 20-1-2 record in the 2014-15 season:

As far as consistency in my game, I think it’s about as good as I ever felt. I think about my game, I’m as confident as I was then. It’s a different level, too, but at the same time, I feel like the goaltender I was then I’m getting back to. I feel very good about that. Right now, I definitely feel more confident than ever about how I’m playing and just knowing what I do to be successful. Last year, I got a chance to play again regularly. This year, I’m just building off that. I just think this year, maybe more than others, I’m not worrying about the team around me as much. I’m just worrying about my job and understanding at the end of the day, my job’s just to stop the puck. Whether it’s a breakdown or a routine save, it’s my job to make those.
On not facing a lot of shots
"It’s both a blessing and at times it can be a struggle, too, because you’re trying to keep your focus. But I think in a lot of ways it’s definitely been great for me because you just really are able to focus on your own game and making sure that you’re there for those routine saves and understanding that there’s going to be breakdowns.”

Should the Sabres call him up if Hutton continues to struggle? Hammond is on a one-way NHL contract. He'd have to clear waivers if he's recalled on a non-emergency basis and they want to send him back down. Johansson might be a better choice for that reason. But with UPL ready to graduate to Rochester, the time is ripe for Botterill to make a goaltending move. The Sabres can't continue to concede a loss every time Hutton starts and keep their playoff hopes alive.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Ham..burglar? Does that mean he can steal some games for us? Hopefully Lazar is up here at the same time, gotta have someone on burger cleanup duty.

Reactions: lauraP

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I see had a pretty sick rookie season with the Sens... 20W 1L 3T....941 save %....and a 1.79 GGA with 3 shutouts...

What happened to him after that?? Seems like he hardly played in the NHL after that

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Can we like, trade Hutton and use one of JJ/Hammond as back-up?

That way we can bring UPL into Rochester as well.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Can we like, trade Hutton and use one of JJ/Hammond as back-up?

That way we can bring UPL into Rochester as well.

They should. Hutton has lost what 10 straight now? I don't entirely blame him since the guy has rotten luck but even at his best Hutton is a backup. Hammond should be able to fill that role at least if JJ isn't ready. Either way you're given options instead of continuing to trot something out that doesn't work. I feel like we're now in a Leafs situation where we just can't play Hutton and we keep throwing Ullmark out there game after game.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Or we could let UPL and Johansson develop normally and have ridiculous depth.

Well UPL might be better served in the AHL. It's not like the norm is starting out young guys in the ECHL.

I also think there's a good chance that JJ/Hammond are flat out better than Hutton.

Reactions: k8prisoner

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Well UPL might be better served in the AHL. It's not like the norm is starting out young guys in the ECHL.

I also think there's a good chance that JJ/Hammond are flat out better than Hutton.

Plenty of NHL goalies started out in the ECHL. Quick, Holtby, Halak. Biron started there. Tim Thomas..... etc. I’ve probably left some off this list.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
That’s cool and everything, but our backup goalie is solid up here in the NHL! I don’t see room for improvement on Hutton... who hasn’t won a game since mid October.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Right. But why rush them? If Hutton is struggling, just send him down and bring Hammond up. Let Johansson and UPL develop.

I have no issue with that plan.

I also have no issue with giving JJ a shot in the NHL, or giving UPL a shot in the AHL.

If you put Hutton on waivers I think the Leafs might shuffle some cap and put in a claim.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I have no issue with that plan.

I also have no issue with giving JJ a shot in the NHL, or giving UPL a shot in the AHL.

If you put Hutton on waivers I think the Leafs might shuffle some cap and put in a claim.

I have an issue with calling up Johansson or UPL. Goaltending is mental resiliency, technique, and confidence. Those three are best worked on over time against a level of competition which allows for progress.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
and if we try to send hutton down and he gets claimed and try to bring Hammond up and he gets claimed....?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I have an issue with calling up Johansson or UPL. Goaltending is mental resiliency, technique, and confidence. Those three are best worked on over time against a level of competition which allows for progress.

Well JJ has had time in the A

UPL is flat out a special goalie and is probably easily AHL caliber right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad