Post-Game Talk: The Habs and the Hab Nots: Montreal - 4, Pens -1

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Malkin was better with Ebbett and Rust on Friday than he was with Spaling and Rust on Saturday. That is not because Spaling is worse than Ebbett or Rust. It's because of how Spaling complements-- or, in this case, doesn't complement-- Malkin.

I don't think that means anything.Malkin is always very good against Tampa.When Malkin played with Spaling and Rust on Saturday,Spaling was better than Rust(both were not good though).

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Nonsense is my middle name.

I mean, it's not like Letestu had 26 points last year or anything like that. Oh wait . . .

I think you mean to adjust for the role he had on their PP as well as his line mates.... or the fact that he got softer match-ups than any other Columbus C :).

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

I also think you want to remember that Sutter was always more important on the other side of the puck and is our best PK'er bar none.

Ok, it's not like Letestu would ever be on pace for 33 points like Sutter is this year in a #2/#3 center role and with Malkin on his wing for 1/3 of the season. After all, his career high is only 32 points from last year . . .

Letestu, who I really like (and even more so his personality from interviews etc.), is a creative player and quite likely has more offensive skill than Sutter, certainly with the puck on his stick.
He doesn't have the athleticism, speed, reach or defensive acumen, or anything close to it and overall it just isn't a contest much less when talking about him as a bottom 6 Center, IMO. Points aren't everything.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Sutter makes more sense as our 3rd line centre even if Letestu is more talented offensively.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Latestu is definitely as good as Sutter or better

Letestu.. you mean. I honestly don't believe that one bit. I am extremely harsh on Sutter because he disappears a lot, but when that dude is on he can take over a game. Letestu cannot do that.

However, kind of funny, that that trade will inevitably be a dull trade as opposed to some huge trade for both teams. Sutter is solid and Staal is solid, but neither of them changed the complexion of their teams. It was like nothing happened in some weird universe.

Michael8771*

Latestu is definitely as good as Sutter or better
OK, you're taking it a bit too far. Sutter is easily a better all around player. I'd trust him in the defensive zone and on the PK a lot more. And those situations are every bit as important as offensive scenarios.

Sutter is far from dynamic offensively and TBH he's been mildly disappointing in that regard. But he passes the eye test and consistently has a meaningful impact. There's been four or five games this season where he was quite noticeable and very much a catalyst in helping us win a game (without necessarily landing on the score sheet).

Michael8771*

The misuse of Geno is a little disconcerting. If you're going to put him after Sutter in the pecking order and ask him to center a 4th liner and a guy who belongs in the AHL, then at least use Geno as a lineup rover. Slot him for Downie for some shifts, then hop him out with Ebbett and Goc in Adams' place. Kind of like what we'd do in 2009 when he was centering Talbot and Feds in the playoffs.

Side note: Watching how he's seeing the game and working in terms of positioning and where he's looking for help, I really want Jagr. Forget the drama. Those two together would be corsi gold, especially if the other winger were defensively responsible.
I think when Horny comes back the plan is to play him with Geno. If Perron is gonna be given to Sid long term, (which seems likely), Geno is going to have to wait for either another trade or for Horny to come back from injury. I guess they want to have some degree of cohesiveness in place as early as possible with the 1st and 3rd lines. Although, I do think Kunitz will eventually move up to Geno's wing. But I do see Sutter and BB getting a long look.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I think when Horny comes back the plan is to play him with Geno. If Perron is gonna be given to Sid long term, (which seems likely), Geno is going to have to wait for either another trade or for Horny to come back from injury. I guess they want to have some degree of cohesiveness in place as early as possible with the 1st and 3rd lines. Although, I do think Kunitz will eventually move up to Geno's wing. But I do see Sutter and BB getting a long look.

It's kind of funny ... poster's (not you, but others) on this board had an absolute fit when Hörnqvist was taken off Sid's line and put with Geno for a whopping what ... 3 or 4 games. Sid needs his Horny! Geno and Hörnqvist have no chemistry! It was pointed out by a few posters that Sid and Hörnqvist weren't producing much at even strength, to which the response was something about them having chemistry. Now, quite a few of those same posters are penciling Hörnqvist in with Geno ... despite everything they said not so long ago. I suppose it will be more of the same if HCMJ should try Perron with Geno. Again, not directed at you, just something that I found amusing.

Michael8771*

It's kind of funny ... poster's (not you, but others) on this board had an absolute fit when Hörnqvist was taken off Sid's line and put with Geno for a whopping what ... 3 or 4 games. Sid needs his Horny! Geno and Hörnqvist have no chemistry! It was pointed out by a few posters that Sid and Hörnqvist weren't producing much at even strength, to which the response was something about them having chemistry. Now, quite a few of those same posters are penciling Hörnqvist in with Geno ... despite everything they said not so long ago. I suppose it will be more of the same if HCMJ should try Perron with Geno. Again, not directed at you, just something that I found amusing.
Yeah, it wasn't me, I assure you. I was never married to the idea of Sid playing with Horny. In fact, I thought Horny was suppose to be given to Malkin (based on MJ's comments in the preseason). In any case I'm all for balancing the top nine and I'm not one who believes Sid should always get the best of everything. We have TWO all world centers, let's help them both as much as possible.

Malkin112*

OK, you're taking it a bit too far. Sutter is easily a better all around player. I'd trust him in the defensive zone and on the PK a lot more. And those situations are every bit as important as offensive scenarios.

Sutter is far from dynamic offensively and TBH he's been mildly disappointing in that regard. But he passes the eye test and consistently has a meaningful impact. There's been four or five games this season where he was quite noticeable and very much a catalyst in helping us win a game (without necessarily landing on the score sheet).

Letestu has been notch above offensively last four years 0,48ppg vs 0,37ppg. both have been playing PK about 2min/g, Letestu is little bit better at FO dot. Letestu is also much better at cycling the puck and is better possession player. Maybe Sutter is little bit better defensively overall, but not that much

bN43cDL.jpg

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
But why put Kunitz with Sutter when Malkin has to play with two AHLers?

I LIKE to think, and I could be wrong, but I LIKE to think that the answer to this question is because both MJ and JR know that JR is working on bringing in one more wing -- who WILL play with Malkin, and thus MJ is trying to develop some chemistry between Kunitz, Sutter, and BB since he intends that as his third line.

That is my "wishful thinking," and since I do think (based on his own words) that JR plans to bring in one more wing (probably at the deadline), then just perhaps my "wishful thinking" has a grain of truth to it...

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
Sorry, break out the line graphs, pie charts, cpu data software, it means nothing. Takeout Sutter and insert Letestu, the results will be no better. If the Pens could just stay healthy for eff sakes, this isn't even a discussion. If Sutter plays with Bennett and Spauling from game 1, they are one of the top producing 3rd lines in the east. With all the injuries it is pretty unfair to judge anyone on this team but the stars, Malkin and Crosby. They are supposed to produce the same night in and night out regardless of who they play with (see Mario Lemieux). If you look at the trade that brought Sutter here, I still think we are better off. Staal has been hurt and even when healthy he hasn't even come close to putting up numbers for CAR like he did here in Pittsburgh.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
I LIKE to think, and I could be wrong, but I LIKE to think that the answer to this question is because both MJ and JR know that JR is working on bringing in one more wing -- who WILL play with Malkin, and thus MJ is trying to develop some chemistry between Kunitz, Sutter, and BB since he intends that as his third line.

That is my "wishful thinking," and since I do think (based on his own words) that JR plans to bring in one more wing (probably at the deadline), then just perhaps my "wishful thinking" has a grain of truth to it...

Steve I think you are pretty close to hitting the nail on the head Sir!! If anything I see Kunitz moving off that line, but MJ is definitely playing the chemistry game right now.

Malkin112*

Sorry, break out the line graphs, pie charts, cpu data software, it means nothing. Takeout Sutter and insert Letestu, the results will be no better. If the Pens could just stay healthy for eff sakes, this isn't even a discussion. If Sutter plays with Bennett and Spauling from game 1, they are one of the top producing 3rd lines in the east. With all the injuries it is pretty unfair to judge anyone on this team but the stars, Malkin and Crosby. They are supposed to produce the same night in and night out regardless of who they play with (see Mario Lemieux). If you look at the trade that brought Sutter here, I still think we are better off. Staal has been hurt and even when healthy he hasn't even come close to putting up numbers for CAR like he did here in Pittsburgh.

:facepalm:

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
Holy cow... can you imagine if everyone was healthy... even now without another trade...
Perron/Crosby/Hornqvist
Kunitz/Malkin/Bennett,Spauling
Downie/Sutter/Bennett, Spauling
Adams/Goc/Farnham,Sill,Rust,Ebbett

with trade...
Kunitz/Malkin/???
Downie,Spauling/Sutter/Bennett

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks

Soooo, if we still have Staal we are paying him $6.4mil a season to be our 3rd line center? He turned down Shero's 6yr/$60mil offer (thank gawd!!). He didn't want to be here, period. He chose to be on a terrible hockey team so he could be a 2nd line center, and play with his brother. We got a good defensive lower cost slightly above average 3rd line center, Sutter in that trade. Not too many NHL teams carry a 3rd line center that is a 30 goal, 60-70 point kind of guy. Would that be a good luxury to have, sure, but at what cost? Are there better 3rd line centers out there, yeah, but Letestu certainly isn't the answer for any team.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Holy cow... can you imagine if everyone was healthy... even now without another trade...
Perron/Crosby/Hornqvist
Kunitz/Malkin/Bennett,Spauling
Downie/Sutter/Bennett, Spauling
Adams/Goc/Farnham,Sill,Rust,Ebbett

with trade...
Kunitz/Malkin/???
Downie,Spauling/Sutter/Bennett

Why do you have Spauling on the 2nd line? Where is Comeau?

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
Why do you have Spauling on the 2nd line? Where is Comeau?

Forgot Comeau, he is definitely an insert into that 2nd line right wing traffic jam. If a trade is made I think we might see him fall to the left wing on the 3rd line. IMO Comeau is good, but I'm not so sure he is top six good. Plus I don't think the Pens brought him in to fill a top six spot. I think he was brought in to solidify the bottom six weakness we had last season...i.e. Gibbons, Connor, Megna... all mediocre call-ups but none had any physical threat to there game. Comeau, Downie, those guys hit everyone on the ice twice a shift. Forgot Farnham, that guy is missing a few nuts and bolts eh!?!?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Forgot Comeau, he is definitely an insert into that 2nd line right wing traffic jam. If a trade is made I think we might see him fall to the left wing on the 3rd line. IMO Comeau is good, but I'm not so sure he is top six good. Plus I don't think the Pens brought him in to fill a top six spot. I think he was brought in to solidify the bottom six weakness we had last season...i.e. Gibbons, Connor, Megna... all mediocre call-ups but none had any physical threat to there game. Comeau, Downie, those guys hit everyone on the ice twice a shift. Forgot Farnham, that guy is missing a few nuts and bolts eh!?!?

Oh no.. Comeau shouldnt be in the top 6. But, if no more trades are made, he is the definite choice, given his chemistry will Geno. Not having him there is a mistake, imo (again, assuming the roster stays as is).

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
Oh no.. Comeau shouldnt be in the top 6. But, if no more trades are made, he is the definite choice, given his chemistry will Geno. Not having him there is a mistake, imo (again, assuming the roster stays as is).

Yeah I definitely agree and see your point barring there isn't a trade. I just have that feeling that something else is coming down the road. We have 11 NHL caliber defensemen playing for PIT or WBS right now. I can easily see us trading Maatta, Pouliot, Depres, or Martin for a 1st or 2nd line winger.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad