Post-Game Talk: The Habs and the Hab Nots: Montreal - 4, Pens -1

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Jiggy, no bull****. We're one move from three scoring lines.

I've put this elsewhere. And, make no mistake, I'd hate to do it, but I've suggested something along the lines of Maatta and Spaling for JVR.

Perron-Sid-Horny
JVR-Geno-Comeau
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett
Farnham-Goc-Downie

OR

JVR-Sid-Downie
Perron-Geno-Horny
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett
Farnham-Goc-Comeau

Yeah, I know, but even if you did that, going into next year, under contract, you've got Letang, Despres, Borts, Pouliot, Harrington, Dumo, and Scuds. And, that assumes you don't extend Ehrhoff or make a summer signing.

OR, maybe you aim a little smaller. Just for ***** and giggles, you move Martin to create space and add Tlusty and Jagr to play with Geno. Or two 'smaller' moves of this ilk.

We really aren't that far from having those three scoring lines.

The Pens are so deep, short term and long term on defense. They can create the cap extra cap space if needed. And, as I keep saying, this is exactly what I expect JR to do, because it's not like he's going to get many more shots at a cup.

EDIT: Just thinking aloud, I wonder if corsi worshippers would create a statue for Geno and Jagr if Jagr ever were acquired and played with Geno. :laugh:

JVR and Malkin is a wet dream. They would have to create new rules to stop them like they did with Edm and the PP. Only slightly kidding, but it would be sick.

Leafs need defense, and a healthy Maatta is what it would take IMHO.

It's stupid to project what's in Malkin's head. However, I never bought into the silliness that he is some moody Russian out for himself, etc. However, the story that he thought Hornqvist was going to be his linemate, caught my attention for sure.

I doubt Malkin will become a malcontent, but he is human and I'm sure some nights he has to be thinking wtf?

In the end, I'm not going to lose sleep over the decision to keep BB with Sutter. It annoys me, but I had a moment in the third period on Sat when BB had the puck, that made me realize how much fun this team is going to be to watch again.

He got the puck and came down through the circle and pulled a backhand-forehand move that was sick as hell. Of the guys on the active roster a few weeks ago, only Crosby and Malkin could have pulled that off.

Now a month later they have four guys who could pull off that move and piss on guys. Crosby, Malkin, BB and Perron will get you out of your seat, and it's going to be fun seeing them do their puck magic. Be it individually or together.

I've been waiting quite some time for this and I'm going to enjoy it, even if the lines aren't perfect.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Would love JVR - would move Maata for him.

Ive never been a big "bring back jagr" type. But he might work well to add some missing size, skill, and butt to this team. He's all about the bass.

Too bad Borts had to make it awkward...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Am I the only one here that is actually pretty damn happy with our current group of forwards? With the acquisition of Perron our top 3 lines look pretty damn good (when healthy)!

Kunitz-Sid-Horny

Perron-Geno-Comeau

Bennett-Sutter-Downie

I really don't see any reason to make a desperation, knee-jerk trade that will likely involve one of our blue-chip d-men prospects and another 1st or 2nd round pick. I'd be all for letting Martin go of course...

Well, I'm not sure why you'd be happy about seeing Sid shut down in the playoffs again by a tough defensive opponent, but this most definitely would be the recipe for just that.

JVR and Malkin is a wet dream. They would have to create new rules to stop them like they did with Edm and the PP. Only slightly kidding, but it would be sick.

Leafs need defense, and a healthy Maatta is what it would take IMHO.

It's stupid to project what's in Malkin's head. However, I never bought into the silliness that he is some moody Russian out for himself, etc. However, the story that he thought Hornqvist was going to be his linemate, caught my attention for sure.

I doubt Malkin will become a malcontent, but he is human and I'm sure some nights he has to be thinking wtf?

In the end, I'm not going to lose sleep over the decision to keep BB with Sutter. It annoys me, but I had a moment in the third period on Sat when BB had the puck, that made me realize how much fun this team is going to be to watch again.

He got the puck and came down through the circle and pulled a backhand-forehand move that was sick as hell. Of the guys on the active roster a few weeks ago, only Crosby and Malkin could have pulled that off.

Now a month later they have four guys who could pull off that move and piss on guys. Crosby, Malkin, BB and Perron will get you out of your seat, and it's going to be fun seeing them do their puck magic. Be it individually or together.

I've been waiting quite some time for this and I'm going to enjoy it, even if the lines aren't perfect.

As I keep saying, especially if they try defending that with second units, which they invariably would do given a Perron-Sid-Horny line.

That said, I've settled on a plan B:

1. Martin for futures to create cap space
2. Futures for Tlusty
3. Futures for Jagr
4. Tlusty-Malkin-Jagr
5. A Corsi worshippers wet dream realized. :D

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
This is probably the last year of the Crosby/Malkin window where it's worth drafting wingers. Anyone we draft in 2015 isn't going to be ready until 2HM are 30+ and the window starts closing. After 2016, I'd say draft picks aren't awfully useful to us at all.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
How was the crowd at this game? Lots of more empty seats/road than usual due to Stiller game?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
This is probably the last year of the Crosby/Malkin window where it's worth drafting wingers. Anyone we draft in 2015 isn't going to be ready until 2HM are 30+ and the window starts closing. After 2016, I'd say draft picks aren't awfully useful to us at all.

Draft picks after 2016 will be more important than they are now. We'll have to replenish talent to give those two help as they slow down and eventually retire. We ignore drafting 2016 onward, we'll be back to the X gen years.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The Pens no longer need to trade draft picks, IMO.

Malkin - 28
Hornqvist - 28
Crosby - 27
Perron - 26
Sutter - 25
Bennett - 23

that's 6 of the top-9.

Letang - 27
Despres - 23
Scott Harrington - 21
Maatta - 20
Derrick Pouliot - 20

That's 5 of the top-6.

The entire "top" of the Penguins' roster is young and under some form of cost-control for at least one more year.

They can spend all of their draft picks on looking for size, power forwards, home runs, great bottom-6 players, etc... They shouldn't feel obligated to continue to make these trades. MAYBE one more. But the core of the roster feels close to set to me.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The Pens no longer need to trade draft picks, IMO.

Malkin - 28
Hornqvist - 28
Crosby - 27
Perron - 26
Sutter - 25
Bennett - 23

that's 6 of the top-9.

Letang - 27
Despres - 23
Scott Harrington - 21
Maatta - 20
Derrick Pouliot - 20

That's 5 of the top-6.

The entire "top" of the Penguins' roster is young and under some form of cost-control for at least one more year.

They can spend all of their draft picks on looking for size, power forwards, home runs, great bottom-6 players, etc... They shouldn't feel obligated to continue to make these trades. MAYBE one more. But the core of the roster feels close to set to me.

1. That one more trade, IMO, involves youth on defense.

2. I think KK and Sundqvist are going to figure into that equation longer term.

3. I think Sutter will not figure into that equation longer term. Too much money when all is said and done, and I anticipate Sundqvist will be seen as his long term, cost controlled replacement.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Well, I'm not sure why you'd be happy about seeing Sid shut down in the playoffs again by a tough defensive opponent, but this most definitely would be the recipe for just that.

As I keep saying, especially if they try defending that with second units, which they invariably would do given a Perron-Sid-Horny line.

That said, I've settled on a plan B:

1. Martin for futures to create cap space
2. Futures for Tlusty
3. Futures for Jagr
4. Tlusty-Malkin-Jagr
5. A Corsi worshippers wet dream realized. :D

The combinations themselves isn't the point i was trying to make. You can obviously shift around the top 6 (or 9 for that matter) however you please. Point I was trying to make is that I think our top 3 lines, as they currently stand (when fully healthy) is good enough to make a deep playoff push in my opinion. If Fleury can keep his **** together and this team can play with even the slightest semblance of a defensively competent group, then yes, I believe we can make a strong push for it without needing to make a big move for another winger, especially as I can only foresee us moving for a rental that we'd likely end up losing in the summer...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The combinations themselves isn't the point i was trying to make. You can obviously shift around the top 6 (or 9 for that matter) however you please. Point I was trying to make is that I think our top 3 lines, as they currently stand (when fully healthy) is good enough to make a deep playoff push in my opinion. If Fleury can keep his **** together and this team can play with even the slightest semblance of a defensively competent group, then yes, I believe we can make a strong push for it without needing to make a big move for another winger. In my opinion we were rather fortunate to pick up a talented guy like Perron without having to sacrifice one of our top young blue liners. Next time I doubt we'd be so lucky.

I don't see us a prohibitive favorite, as we are right now, against the Isles or even the Rangers (we might even be an underdog against the Isles given how they've built).

Now, if we made another move, it's a different story IMO.

This is why I keep referencing 2008 and 2012.

EDIT: AB, don't want to do a long thing, but 2009 was about luck, not Fleury. If you can promise me that the Pens won't play 1 team in the east that is tough defensively/has structure and then can promise me that whatever team from the west will be missing a healthy version of its top center (so even if Sid gets shut down, Geno won't), then I have every confidence this roster can do exactly what the 2009 roster did. Just remember: If Datsyuk is fully healthy in 2009, then a Franzen-Datsyuk-Hossa line shuts down Malkin every bit as much as Zetterberg shut down Sid. 2009 was about matchups and health of themselves and their opponent. If Malkin is healthy in the finals in 2008, then the Pens may win in 7. If Datsyuk is healthy in 2009, then the Wings IMO win is 5. In your defense, though, what you conclude, this is exactly the same lesson Shero derived from 2008 and 2009. Unfortunately, it's also why he's no longer GM of the Pens and why Sid and Geno haven't been within 8 games of winning a cup since.

Last edited:

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I don't see us a prohibitive favorite, as we are right now, against the Isles or even the Rangers (we might even be an underdog against the Isles given how they've built).

Now, if we made another move, it's a different story IMO.

This is why I keep referencing 2008 and 2012.

Did it with a thinner roster talent-wise in 2009. If MJ plays his cards (tactics) right and Fleury doesn't have a meltdown then we have a legit shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad