THE GREATEST PRO WRESTLING MATCHES OF ALL TIME

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I tried as hard as I could to make a top 10…but it ended up technically becoming a top 12, and then I added a bunch more honorable mentions that aren’t in any specific order. I also tried to keep some classics mixed in from the earlier days of WWE, to go along with recent bangers from other promotions. It’s very hard to rank many of these as you can imagine, opinions vary. But here’s my take:

1A. Stone Cold vs Bret Hart Wrestlemania 13/Submission Match

1B. Will Ospreay vs
Kenny Omega AEW/NJPW Forbidden Door 2023

2. Undertaker vs HBK Wrestlemania 25

3. Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11

4. Christopher Daniels vs AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe TNA Unbreakable 2005/Triple Threat Match

5. Undertaker vs HBK Badd Blood: In Your House/Hell in a Cell

6. Undertaker vs Mankind King Of The Ring 1998/Hell in a Cell

7. Hulk Hogan vs The Rock Wrestlemania 18

8. HBK vs Kurt Angle Wrestlemania 21

9. TLC 2 Wrestlemania 17

10A. Kenny Omega and Adam Page vs The Young Bucks AEW Revolution 2020/Tag Team Match

10B. Stone Cold vs The Rock Wrestlemania 17

HMs:

-CM Punk vs John Cena Money in the Bank 2011

-Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn ECW Hardcore Heaven 1999

-Hulk Hogan vs Andre The Giant Wrestlemania 3

-HBK vs Razor Ramon Ladder Match/Wrestlemania 10

-Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat Wrestlemania 3

- Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn vs The Usos Wrestlemania 39/Tag Team Match

-Triple H vs HBK vs Chris Benoit Wrestlemania 20/Triple Threat Match

-Triple H vs Cactus Jack Royal Rumble 2000

-Triple H vs Stone Cold 3 Stages Of Hell/No Way Out 2001

- Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Eddie Guerrero WCW Halloween Havoc 1997

Last edited:
Reactions: ncm7772

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A lot of those are definitely part of the greatest hits, no question.

I think the best match I’d say I’ve seen live is Andrade vs. Johnny Gargano NXT Takeover Philadelphia

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
The Ironman match with Lesnar and Angle on SmackDown 2003 I think it was, was pretty epic too.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
MJF-Danielson Iron Man was my fav one in recent times

One of my underrated favs is Adam Cole vs KOR Hybrid Rules match at Best in the World 2012

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
A lot of those are definitely part of the greatest hits, no question.

I think the best match I’d say I’ve seen live is Andrade vs. Johnny Gargano NXT Takeover Philadelphia

I’ve seen Andrade vs Gargano mentioned several times elsewhere and your comment made me finally go and watch it late last night and man was I absolutely BLOWN AWAY. What a match. Just incredible. Definitely worthy of being added to my list, and probably the best NXT match ever. Thx for bringing it to my attention again.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve seen Andrade vs Gargano mentioned several times elsewhere and your comment made me finally go and watch it late last night and man was I absolutely BLOWN AWAY. What a match. Just incredible. Definitely worthy of being added to my list, and probably the best NXT match ever. Thx for bringing it to my attention again.
I think I would agree with that. Gargano was basically the Shawn Michaels of NXT at that time. The match at NXT Takeover: New York (not Brooklyn even though it’s the same arena) where he won the title from Adam Cole gets higher ratings, maybe I am biased to the Andrade match because it was in my hometown, but I’ll put that one up as the best one.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I think I would agree with that. Gargano was basically the Shawn Michaels of NXT at that time. The match at NXT Takeover: New York (not Brooklyn even though it’s the same arena) where he won the title from Adam Cole gets higher ratings, maybe I am biased to the Andrade match because it was in my hometown, but I’ll put that one up as the best one.

Cole vs Gargano is definitely up there, same with WALTER vs Ilja Dragunov, probably some others in that class too. And yes I agree with the HBK comparison as well, Johnny Wrestling knows how to put on a show !!

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Two epic feuds that had great matches were Magnum TA vs. Rhodes and Flair vs. Steamboat.

If you combine great with most historical matches of all time, you'd probably get Taker vs Mankind HitC and Michaels vs Razor in the ladder match.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Cole vs Gargano is definitely up there, same with WALTER vs Ilja Dragunov, probably some others in that class too. And yes I agree with the HBK comparison as well, Johnny Wrestling knows how to put on a show !!
Walter vs. Tyler Bate in NXT UK was another

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The line between favorite and best is hard to find. Some deeper cuts in my mind:

Angle/HBK Wrestlemania 21 - Forgotten about over time because of his later matches with the Undertaker. They had great chemistry.

Cena/HBK Raw 2007 - ~56 minute marathon match you didn’t think Cena had in him. He could in fact wrestle.

Cena/Punk Raw 2013 - Very compelling despite a comically obvious outcome.

Danielson/Hangman Dynamite 2021 - They did an hour time limit draw on TV. Enough said.

Danielson/ZSJ Wrestledream 2023 - Submission matches, explicit and implicit, have been done before, but the crowd really got the idea here.

Reactions: GKJ

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The line between favorite and best is hard to find. Some deeper cuts in my mind:

Angle/HBK Wrestlemania 21 - Forgotten about over time because of his later matches with the Undertaker. They had great chemistry.

Cena/HBK Raw 2007 - ~56 minute marathon match you didn’t think Cena had in him. He could in fact wrestle.

Cena/Punk Raw 2013 - Very compelling despite a comically obvious outcome.

Danielson/Hangman Dynamite 2021 - They did an hour time limit draw on TV. Enough said.

Danielson/ZSJ Wrestledream 2023 - Submission matches, explicit and implicit, have been done before, but the crowd really got the idea here.
Don’t know that I’d say it was forgotten over time, as that’s generally regarded as Angle’s best match, if not top 3 he had. Maybe because it wasn’t top billing.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
For something that probably hasn’t been mentioned:

Sting v DDP for the WCW title in Fargo, ND. 1999

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Don’t know that I’d say it was forgotten over time, as that’s generally regarded as Angle’s best match, if not top 3 he had. Maybe because it wasn’t top billing.

That’s fair. My eyes glossed over it being included on the OP’s list. Invalidates my point a bit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That’s fair. My eyes glossed over it being included on the OP’s list. Invalidates my point a bit.
I think the reason it would be lost to time is because it wasn’t very often that those matches were as important, and with the squashing of WCW and the invasion angle, the dream match concept didn’t carry as much weight. That said, they did get like 28 minutes.

When I think back, that’s one of the matches that had me most gripped as it was happening. And it produced a moment which is actually forgotten but was a huge deal, which is that Shawn Michaels tapped out at Wrestlemania. I don’t know what people thought at the time, Angle was using the ankle lock as a finish, but Shawn, as the face, tapping out on that stage was something I simply did not think could happen.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
The more the years pass, the more I realize that Black & Gold NXT is my attitude era and nothing will probably ever top it for me. I know they've found their groove now after the 2.0 stuff, and it might be better long term for the company but it isn't the same to me.

A lot of the matches you mentioned you are right to mention, but for me the best trilogy is Gargano/Ciampa. Their first 2 matches are some of the best No DQ matches I've seen and their 3rd one was also really good. Part of the reason why Gargano will always be one of my favorites of all time. Gargano/Andrade and Gargano/Cole are also fantastic as mentioned above as is his matches with Ricochet/Balor/Black but Ciampa/Gargano will probably always be #1 for me.

Speaking of B&G NXT, I think Bayley/Sasha Banks was the most groundbreaking match that show has every produced. Kickstarted the women's revolution. The best women's match in NA history imo.

While I've never watched it, people rave over 90s AJPW with Kobashi, Kawada, Misawa, etc. I've heard the same for different periods of time for NOAH as well.

Punk/Cena will always hold a special place in my heart. Their MITB match is obvious, but I loved their one on Raw in 2013. I was on vacation to decompress from a day at Disney so I figured I'd watch Raw and that match ended up being the highlight of my day :laugh:

I think Ospreay/Omega features the 2 greatest matches I've seen in sometime. They have the potential to have one of the greatest trilogies if Kenny heals okay.

Greatest vs. Favorite is a tough line to draw so this list might just be the latter, but I think B&G NXT truly has some of the greatest matches of all time.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
You have to have Misawa vs Kawada in All Japan from 6-3-94 on any best matches lists. That match is so ridiculous. It’s in my top 10 for sure.

I also think the Ospreay vs Omega match from Japan was the better of the two, but both were best of all time levels of good.

I think at least one of the Midnight Rockers vs Rose and Somers matches in the AWA belongs on a list. I’d probably say that Blood On the Sand cage match was the best one. Absolute blood bath.

I have plenty more to add that haven’t been mentioned yet, but I’m posting from my phone on the toilet and I’m almost done.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think the reason it would be lost to time is because it wasn’t very often that those matches were as important, and with the squashing of WCW and the invasion angle, the dream match concept didn’t carry as much weight. That said, they did get like 28 minutes.

When I think back, that’s one of the matches that had me most gripped as it was happening. And it produced a moment which is actually forgotten but was a huge deal, which is that Shawn Michaels tapped out at Wrestlemania. I don’t know what people thought at the time, Angle was using the ankle lock as a finish, but Shawn, as the face, tapping out on that stage was something I simply did not think could happen.
I remember dreading that match because that ending is exactly what I expected. Michaels was my favourite wrestler ever, I never cared for Angle, Angle was making everyone tap out and Michaels was in his stage where he put everyone over. I would have been pleasantly shocked if Michaels had won.

You have to have Misawa vs Kawada in All Japan from 6-3-94 on any best matches lists. That match is so ridiculous. It’s in my top 10 for sure.

I also think the Ospreay vs Omega match from Japan was the better of the two, but both were best of all time levels of good.

I think at least one of the Midnight Rockers vs Rose and Somers matches in the AWA belongs on a list. I’d probably say that Blood On the Sand cage match was the best one. Absolute blood bath.

I have plenty more to add that haven’t been mentioned yet, but I’m posting from my phone on the toilet and I’m almost done.

I can't say that I expected to see The Playboy mentioned in this thread, but I'm happy about it.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013

You might be right about Omega/Ospreay 1 being potentially even better than the rematch. It’s like splitting hairs and technically I should have included both on my list. I just personally like the Forbidden Door/round 2 match ever so slightly more. The one thing that I see people “deduct points” for when it comes to the rematch is the Don Callis outside interference factor and how he attempts to aid Ospreay at the end….but IMO it’s not that bad because his interference didn’t cause the final outcome/Omega kicked out and it continues for a bit longer before Ospreay eventually finishes him off with his own efforts and one final storm breaker.

Also their Wrestle Kingdom match was a tad bit too one sided(Omega is on the offensive for about 75% of the match) for me to call it the better of the two. Ospreay holds the advantage throughout most of the rematch but it’s closer(more around 60/40 IMO) and the match is just more dramatic and intense because of the Tiger driver 91, the hatred Ospreay kept expressing through various methods towards the Canadian audience, and the sheer overall brutality.

However you slice it though those 2 matches are as good as it gets, and will forever be remembered for their greatness.

The only thing we’re missing now is the inevitable rubber match/round 3 which will no doubt be one of the most hyped and anticipated matches in the history of the sport!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad