Music: The Greatest Instrumental Hooks (non vocal)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Great idea for another thread – greatest atypical time signatures or chords. Details only musicians could break down and fully appreciate (hoping that doesn't sound too obnoxious). I was a kid when Money came out. I loved it (still do) and knew it was different, although I couldn't explain why until a few years later.

Pantera - Walk fits that bill.

It's time signature is 12/8. Really between that and the rythym of the main riff Walk is really just a Texas Swing song with distortion

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
First riff that came to my head and is stuck there right now is the opening riff to "Play that funky music"...

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
A live version of The Mexican:

Last edited:

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Some great choices Posted here, many among my favourites. The amazing thing about music is there really isn’t a “Greatest”, just lots and lots of Greats.

For my first, I’m going with perhaps a lesser known song from the Legendary Pink Floyd.

The main riff is one of the catchiest I’ve ever heard, and I think Andrew Lloyd Webber would agree. After all, his most famous Play may have ‘borrowed’ this riff;).

4:00-6:30 catches the riff twice & a beautiful solo by David Gilmour.

I noticed a couple of Metallica suggestions, but didn’t see this one. To me this contains their most recognizable riff:

I remember buying this and being blown away by the opening riff, which just continues through the song:

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Herr Mozart cooked up a hook before they were called hooks.

The utilizes a "Mannheim rocket". The name is such because the orchestra in Mannheim was a leading orchestra of the day and utilizes what was advanced techniques back in those days.

He probably didn't put too much thought into this, he likely was just writing for a little gathering or party.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
Great idea for another thread – greatest atypical time signatures or chords. Details only musicians could break down and fully appreciate (hoping that doesn't sound too obnoxious). I was a kid when Money came out. I loved it (still do) and knew it was different, although I couldn't explain why until a few years later.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
moby dick - led zep
more than a feeling - boston
another one bites the dust - queen
cowboys from hell - pantera
had to cry today - blind faith
achille's last stand - led zep
every breath you take - police

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

Love how the drums, synth, dream pop guitar and dub bassline come together on the intro and hook of this track.

An obvious classic sampled from Leon Haywood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad