The Greatest General Managers in Canucks History (#7)

Who is the seventh greatest General Manager in Canucks’ history?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
tbf islanders and flyers did just fine with their expansion teams

st louis made the finals in each of their first three years iirc

The divisions 1967-70 were rigged so that an expansion team automatically made the Finals.

Islanders got Denis Potvin in their 2nd draft. If we get Guy Lafleur in our 2nd draft the franchise looks totally different.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It’s slim pickings at this point...well a few places ago it was. I actually went with Keenan. Why? Honestly because from what I remembered from that time was a team that needed to be blown up. Linden was my favorite player growing up but it was something that needed to be done. Keenan blew up the room good.

Reactions: I am toxic

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Keenan made one (1) good trade but was otherwise a force for chaos, and even if the team needed to be blown up, none of the other pieces he brought in – from Brian Noonan to Brad May to Jason Strudwick – actually had any lasting impact. He did none of the actual rebuilding work (that was all Brian Burke). He would have traded Markus Näslund for peanuts, too, if he could.

That, plus, the fact that, y'know, Keenan was never general manager, should be enough to disqualify him from this spot.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Keenan made one (1) good trade but was otherwise a force for chaos, and even if the team needed to be blown up, none of the other pieces he brought in – from Brian Noonan to Brad May to Jason Strudwick – actually had any lasting impact. He did none of the actual rebuilding work (that was all Brian Burke). He would have traded Markus Näslund for peanuts, too, if he could.

That, plus, the fact that, y'know, Keenan was never general manager, should be enough to disqualify him from this spot.

He was interim general manager, and made one of the best trades in team history. We're at the point where the remaining GM's sucked here so he's the best of the worst.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
upload_2021-2-14_12-25-18.jpeg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I didn't vote for Keenan yet, but the thing about him is that he performed a needed function. Ripped the bandaid off and prevented a continued long, slow decline through the late 1990s and into the 2000s. If there's no Keenan, we probably keep trying to build around the declining Linden/Gelinas/Lumme/Hedican core for a few more years before realizing the folly.

Instead we blew it up and by 2001 we were back in the playoffs and by the back half of the 2001-02 season we were dominating the NHL with a completely different team than what Quinn had left behind only 4 years earlier.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If anyone is going to say benning is good gm cause of his drafting
No in this thread has said this. One person here has said it helps ameliorate some of his bad qualities, which they then listed, and voted for 6 other GMs ahead of him.

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
No in this thread has said this. One person here has said it helps ameliorate some of his bad qualities, which they then listed, and voted for 6 other GMs ahead of him.

That’s why is said “if” but I’m sure you read posts completely before posting

and considering it’s a poll thread that’s gone on for 6 previous threads it would include those threads also

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I mean maybe. But one thing is for sure, his drafting has continuously been raised as a positive to a defining strength of his throughout his tenure.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I mean, one could argue Benning will be remembered for his greatness at being the biggest waste of 7 years.

So I voted for Benning based on that premise.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I mean maybe. But one thing is for sure, his drafting has continuously been raised as a positive to a defining strength of his throughout his tenure.
Trivia time: Name me the NBA GM that drafted THREE league MVPs but the team only advanced once to the Finals (where they lost). And that’s without the benefit of a first overall pick. Heck one of that GMs first round draft picks (one that didn’t become league MVP) performed a key role in the Raptors winning the championship.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
He was interim general manager, and made one of the best trades in team history. We're at the point where the remaining GM's sucked here so he's the best of the worst.
He was granted authority over trades in early 1998, but I don't believe he ever actually held the interim GM title. (Perhaps I'm wrong here, I moved abroad during this time – but it certainly wasn't the case while I was around.) He was in a committee with Tambellini and Stephen Bellringer, and then eventually Burke was hired.

But one good trade and a host of bad ones that did nothing to advance a rebuild – does that honestly place him above Bud Poile going to work and doing whatever expansion team GMs do? Not in my view, unless there are some gaffes that Poile is known for.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Trivia time: Name me the NBA GM that drafted THREE league MVPs but the team only advanced once to the Finals (where they lost). And that’s without the benefit of a first overall pick. Heck one of that GMs first round draft picks (one that didn’t become league MVP) performed a key role in the Raptors winning the championship.
I don’t know the name of the gm but it sounds like you’re describing the old supersonics franchise, with harden, durant, westbrook, and ibaka

Reactions: Hit the post

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Sam Presti

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don’t know the name of the gm but it sounds like you’re describing the old supersonics franchise, with harden, durant, westbrook, and ibaka

Sam Presti

:thumbu:

He was granted authority over trades in early 1998, but I don't believe he ever actually held the interim GM title. (Perhaps I'm wrong here, I moved abroad during this time – but it certainly wasn't the case while I was around.) He was in a committee with Tambellini and Stephen Bellringer, and then eventually Burke was hired.
All I remember is Keenan telling Burke that he had to be consulted on player transactions as per his contract; whereby Burke said he had ultimate control over hiring/firing of the coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad