The Greatest Comeback in OHL History

Anthony Carlucci

Mar 23, 2019
Hey it’s I appreciate the feedback and hope you enjoyed the read. I personally think this was one of if not the greatest comeback (little bias cause I’m close with some of the players).

But I have two reasons why:

1. ITS THE LONDON KNIGHTS. London has always been a prestigious team and has dominated the OHL for over 3 decades. There always good and always compete for the title with elite team after elite team. The fact Guelph went down 3-0 to a seemingly unstoppable Knights team was tough. They had no momentum and it looked like London was going for an easy sweep. But the Storm came back and honestly if there is two guys I want rallying my team back it’s Durzi and Suzuki. Not only have these two played in game 7’s before and played amazing with there backs against the wall. They can motivate anyone either verbally or with action. If there is one single guy to motivate me to comeback in a series it’s Sean Durzi. I’ve known him since we were kids and this guy just seems to always find a way to win and compete. Such a hard worker. Beside that, it was a collective team effort and Popovich stood on his head for the the last 4 games of that series.

2. THEY HAD 0 MOMENTUM. The fact that these guys snuck away with a win in game 4. They were still down 3-1 against LONDON. Who’s power play is one of the best in the OHL probably ever. Along with that they had 2 or 3 borderline NHL players. Formenton and Bouchard played in the NHL this year (although it was short they still did). They had the pro experience that we dream to experience. Those two along with there whole team were shutdown in there own zone and can score at any time. If they had a chance it seemed like they were gonna score. Popovich and the storm defence were amazing in those last 4 games. Also Gordeev and Phillips played very well in there own zone. They shut it down and broke the puck out very well. I was surprised with Gordeev and loved his play. He’s so quick for a 6”7 guy and his long defensive stick is very helpful.

Overall, I do love discussions and I like some of the points everyone made. There were some good ones and Windsor’s comeback does stick out but they were destined to win IMO. That team was stacked and still had many chances in those first 3 games. Those two points along with many others make me believe that the Guelph Storm coming back from 3-0 and not 2-0 is the greatest. Down 2-0 is never bad tbh. U lose two games on the road and u come back home. You’re never out of it untill u lose at home. The 2-0 agreement (except in the men cup) is basically invalid to me. Along with that how about Guelph forcing game 7 tn in Saginaw. I’m telling you there something about this guelph team and they don’t have one bad player on this team.

Thanks again

Anthony Carlucci

Reactions: SebJHockey

Anthony Carlucci

Mar 23, 2019
Can someone please tell me how anyone could honestly call Guelph elite? Their goalie is horrid. They made a slew of trades at the deadline and didn’t improve their standing. IF anything, considering all their additions, I would call them a mild disappointment. Putting them in the same category as Ottawa is insulting to be honest.

Saginaw, on the other hand, had a great 2nd half post deadline. They made a few shrewd deals and really took off. Perfetti was outstanding and completely robbed of Rookie of the Year. Disgraceful IMO.

All that said, I really don’t feel Saginaw is head and shoulders over Oshawa. The Generals had three very good lines (Serron Noel was playing 3rd line most nights) and a top 3 Goalie in the OHL. They made some shrewd moves at the deadline and easily knocked off niagara in the 2nd round after losing the first two games.

Sudbury actually finished ahead of Guelph in the standings. They were solid all year and backstopped by the best goalie in Junior Hockey worldwide. They aren’t particularly deep and had some injuries on the backend so I will concede they weren’t in a situation to really challenge outside of UPL stealing games.

All that said, Windsor in 1988 was great. They did get the 2nd round bye so their undefeated run to the Finals does have an asterisk beside it. They also went 3-0 in the round robin of the Memorial Cup. They lost by a goal in the Finals for their only post-season loss. I think Ottawa would need to go 16-0 and win the Memorial Cup to secure the best post-season of all-time mantle.

U can’t call guelph elite? The arguments of Sudbury and Oshawa are a stretch. What did Sudbury add? One of the best goalies to ever play in the OHL and a stud 6”5 rookie centre. Other than that there team is essentially the same. Oshawa has a great goalie and some good offensive talent. Guelph is easily better than these two teams.

The argument on how they finished higher in the regular season is a good point. But it only matters come playoff time. You can be amazing in the regular season if you don’t show up in the playoffs, regular season means nothing.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
U can’t call guelph elite? The arguments of Sudbury and Oshawa are a stretch. What did Sudbury add? One of the best goalies to ever play in the OHL and a stud 6”5 rookie centre. Other than that there team is essentially the same. Oshawa has a great goalie and some good offensive talent. Guelph is easily better than these two teams.

The argument on how they finished higher in the regular season is a good point. But it only matters come playoff time. You can be amazing in the regular season if you don’t show up in the playoffs, regular season means nothing.

Guelph - Nine losses in 2019. Six losses in the playoffs.
Oshawa - Seven losses in 2019. Seven losses in the playoffs
Sudbury - Eight losses in 2019. Six losses in the playoffs
Ottawa - Five losses in 2019. Zero Losses in the playoffs

In my opinion, Ottawa is the only ELITE team in the OHL this year.

If I ranked the teams based on my own eye test power ranking, it would look like this:

1> Ottawa
2> Saginaw
3> London
4> Niagara
5> Guelph
6> SSM
7> Oshawa
8> Sudbury

I'd say the difference between Saginaw and Niagara is minimal. I could probably put them all tied for 2nd to be honest. All have elements that are considered Elite but not a total package that could make them Elite. SSM has a great front end but lacked depth. Oshawa had good scoring and goaltending. They lacked overall team defence and conditioning. Sudbury lacked overall depth. UPL could only carry them so far. Guelph lacks goaltending. Niagara is undisciplined with poor coaching. London just lacked depth slightly. An extra player or two would have put them over the top. For example, if they had the cards available to acquire Suzuki and Durzi, they would be Elite for sure. It would have been an Ottawa v London Final and the fireworks on that Final would have been electric!

I feel there is a significant gap between Saginaw and Ottawa. The rest of the top 8 could beat each other in any given series. We saw that in the London v Guelph series as well as the Oshawa v Niagara series. Ottawa has stellar defence and goaltending. We've seen it both in the regular season as well as the playoffs. Of course, they can also score a ton. Three lines deep that can all come at you hard. Ottawa's top 3 scorers (tied with 21 points) all play on different lines.

No matter who comes out of the West, they will be in tough against Ottawa. That is not meant as disrespect to either of those teams by any means. Ottawa doesn't really have a flaw that you can expose and take advantage of. Strong scoring with speed, strong defence and goaltending, high end conditioning and great coaching all make for a difficult test for any team in a seven game series. They are also well rested and as far as I am aware, healthy. The only way to beat Ottawa is to skate as hard and fast, play hard on the body and don't allow them any room. You need to be well conditioned to be able to do it for 60 minutes. Both Sudbury and Oshawa found out how hard it is to do it for 60 minutes evidenced by their inability to keep pace in the 3rd period. It is hard to continually chase the puck.,

Reactions: three dog night

Anthony Carlucci

Mar 23, 2019

If I ranked the teams based on my own eye test power ranking, it would look like this:

1> Ottawa
2> Saginaw
3> London
4> Niagara
5> Guelph
6> SSM
7> Oshawa
8> Sudbury

I'd say the difference between Saginaw and Niagara is minimal. I could probably put them all tied for 2nd to be honest. All have elements that are considered Elite but not a total package that could make them Elite. SSM has a great front end but lacked depth. Oshawa had good scoring and goaltending. They lacked overall team defence and conditioning. Sudbury lacked overall depth. UPL could only carry them so far. Guelph lacks goaltending. Niagara is undisciplined with poor coaching. London just lacked depth slightly. An extra player or two would have put them over the top. For example, if they had the cards available to acquire Suzuki and Durzi, they would be Elite for sure. It would have been an Ottawa v London Final and the fireworks on that Final would have been electric!

I feel there is a significant gap between Saginaw and Ottawa. The rest of the top 8 could beat each other in any given series. We saw that in the London v Guelph series as well as the Oshawa v Niagara series. Ottawa has stellar defence and goaltending. We've seen it both in the regular season as well as the playoffs. Of course, they can also score a ton. Three lines deep that can all come at you hard. Ottawa's top 3 scorers (tied with 21 points) all play on different lines.

No matter who comes out of the West, they will be in tough against Ottawa. That is not meant as disrespect to either of those teams by any means. Ottawa doesn't really have a flaw that you can expose and take advantage of. Strong scoring with speed, strong defence and goaltending, high end conditioning and great coaching all make for a difficult test for any team in a seven game series. They are also well rested and as far as I am aware, healthy. The only way to beat Ottawa is to skate as hard and fast, play hard on the body and don't allow them any room. You need to be well conditioned to be able to do it for 60 minutes. Both Sudbury and Oshawa found out how hard it is to do it for 60 minutes evidenced by their inability to keep pace in the 3rd period. It is hard to continually chase the puck.,

Well, I don't wanna sound like a smartass here but I think you're underestimating Guelph just a little bit. There Goaltending is not horrible, ya Popovich had a bad few games but he stood on his head when he needed to. Also, I know it's just the regular season but I believe Guelph matches up against Ottawa very well. The only knock on Guelph is if there goaltending can step up......and ill let you answer that one for me.

You can look at everything on paper but when you watch them play. Guelph has the heart, determination to win and never give up. There is no way you can argue that cause they just came back from down 3-0 to the LONDON KNIGHTS and down 3-1 to Saginaw. This is the greatest double comeback in OHL history.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well, I don't wanna sound like a smartass here but I think you're underestimating Guelph just a little bit. There Goaltending is not horrible, ya Popovich had a bad few games but he stood on his head when he needed to. Also, I know it's just the regular season but I believe Guelph matches up against Ottawa very well. The only knock on Guelph is if there goaltending can step up......and ill let you answer that one for me.

You can look at everything on paper but when you watch them play. Guelph has the heart, determination to win and never give up. There is no way you can argue that cause they just came back from down 3-0 to the LONDON KNIGHTS and down 3-1 to Saginaw. This is the greatest double comeback in OHL history.

Where was the Heart and determination in the first half of those series? You go down 3-0 to Ottawa, you are DEAD.

Guelph has been inconsistent all year. Nothing has changed in the playoffs. For all the star power that team has, they sure know how to crap the bed a lot.

Kudos for coming back from two large deficits. In the end, Guelph gets credit for losing six games over two series and Ottawa gets very little credit for not losing any. Maybe if Ottawa lost six games and came back and won 7 elimination games, they’d get more credit?

I feel bad for Oshawa and Sudbury. They both put up great seasons. Both have a lot to be proud of. Then Ottawa beats them each four straight in very convincing fashion and all of a sudden they are overrated teams. Pretty sad really. I’d say pretty disrespectful.

Anthony Carlucci

Mar 23, 2019
Where was the Heart and determination in the first half of those series? You go down 3-0 to Ottawa, you are DEAD.

Guelph has been inconsistent all year. Nothing has changed in the playoffs. For all the star power that team has, they sure know how to crap the bed a lot.

Kudos for coming back from two large deficits. In the end, Guelph gets credit for losing six games over two series and Ottawa gets very little credit for not losing any. Maybe if Ottawa lost six games and came back and won 7 elimination games, they’d get more credit?

I feel bad for Oshawa and Sudbury. They both put up great seasons. Both have a lot to be proud of. Then Ottawa beats them each four straight in very convincing fashion and all of a sudden they are overrated teams. Pretty sad really. I’d say pretty disrespectful.

I think you’re still missing the point here. Now that Guelph has comeback down 3-0 and down 3-1. Is this considered the greatest comeback in OHL History? Doing it once is amazing but twice?? In the same playoffs!!

Reactions: OMG67

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

I don't know where you're seeing all this hate. Posters here predicted Ottawa to win all day long. Where were they on CHL Top 10 all year? Your goalie is beloved by team Canada. You've made up an interesting narrative there.

If you're talking about commentators for the Sag/Guelph series they know nothing about nothing - not a grand conspiracy against Ottawa.

Anthony Carlucci

Mar 23, 2019

Also let's be honest. The 67's had a much easier path to the finals then Guelph. Ottawa had Hamilton, Sudbury, and Oshawa. Guelph had Kitchener, London, and Saginaw. If you disagree then you just haven't watched the OHL at all this year.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Also let's be honest. The 67's had a much easier path to the finals then Guelph. Ottawa had Hamilton, Sudbury, and Oshawa. Guelph had Kitchener, London, and Saginaw. If you disagree then you just haven't watched the OHL at all this year.

Ottawa had an easier trip, yes. But, zero losses vs 6? It wasn’t that much of an easier trip. They faced two 90+ point teams. Both had two of the top 3 goalies this years as well. Let’s be real, it’s not like Sudbury and Oshawa wouldn’t have finished top 4 in the West Were they to have switched with Saginaw and SSM. They are two VERY deserving top 4 teams. There was a clear top 8 in the OHL this year. Both Sudbury and OShawa were clearly better than the 5th place team in the West. It is not like Ottawa got byes.

Guelph struggled to get past London and Saginaw. Ottawa steamrolled Sudbury and Oshawa. I think that says something.

Just my opinion, Guelph doesn’t steamroll either of Sudbury or Oshawa, not the way they have played so inconsistently this playoff. They obviously played their best games when backs were against the wall. That isn’t the way to approach the playoffs. Play your best from the opening puck drop...if we are being honest.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018

1> Ottawa
2> Saginaw
3> London
4> Niagara
5> Guelph
6> SSM
7> Oshawa
8> Sudbury

Or you could say Ottawa who finished first in the league was 4w 2L against the western conference in 2019, while Guelph who finished 4th in the conference was 5w and 3L in 2019. Point is there is still a difference in the depth/strength of the 2 conferences. It is closing, however there is a still a gap. Ottawa has to be the favorite, and all the media will love the 67's but records highlighted are a bit misleading. Goaltending, coaching, and followed by a bit of an advantage derived from home ice and then a bit of depth should be the difference for 67's. If they don't win, it will be a further sign that the conference disparity is bigger than it appears.

Anthony Carlucci

Mar 23, 2019
So let’s revisit this, Now that we see the outcome. Is this the greatest comeback story in OHL History. The answer is Yes. This is easily and with a doubt the best comeback story we will hear for a while and maybe ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad