TV: The Greatest American Hero premiered 40 years ago today

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Believe it or not. Wednesday was a powerful nite on ABC in the mid 80's: Greatest American Hero, The Fall Guy and Dynasty. Take the phone off the hook...

My Best-Carey

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I feel old

Really want to feel old? Today was talking to one of the 20-something women here who likes to wear pop culture stuff. She was wearing a "Top Gun" t-shirt and asked if I liked the shirt. I told her yes. She said, "It's cute, I dont know what it means though."

I stared at her. "The movie? Top Gun?"

...she had never heard of it.

I died insude

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Really want to feel old? Today was talking to one of the 20-something women here who likes to wear pop culture stuff. She was wearing a "Top Gun" t-shirt and asked if I liked the shirt. I told her yes. She said, "It's cute, I dont know what it means though."

I stared at her. "The movie? Top Gun?"

...she had never heard of it.

I died insude
Talk about irony....Top Gun was on tv this weekend and I watched it from start to finish.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Good memories for a very different reason. I looked almost exactly like William Katt, although a few years younger. Same face, hair and build. I went to Halloween parties dressed up as The Greatest American Hero and got quite a few dates out of it. :naughty:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's ironic that most of the people here with memories of it are Canadian and here I am, an American who grew up on 80s TV shows, and I'd never even heard of it before. Maybe it aired once here and went largely unnoticed, but was more popular and successful in re-runs north of the border.

Apparently, a pilot was made in the mid-80s for a revival series called The Greatest American Heroine. It's too bad that that wasn't made just for the name.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's ironic that most of the people here with memories of it seem to be Canadian and here I am, an American who grew up on 80s TV shows, and I'd never even heard of it before. Maybe it aired once here and went largely unnoticed, whereas it caught on in syndication north of the border.

Apparently, a pilot was made in the mid-80s for a revival series called The Greatest American Heroine. It's too bad that that wasn't made just for the name.

I saw the female lead pilot. It was not bad. Problem was they made her look like supergirl in a skirt. They also made it look like wonder woman campy

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Thanks had no idea it was on prime
If it was out in the 80's, it's probably on Prime.

As long as you're on there, I recommend Crime Story. 60's period piece about the rivalry and hatred between a rough and tumble police lieutenant and a Chicago Outfit heavy. Created by Michael Mann, and features literally everyone who's been in a mob movie or tv show over the last forty years. A vastly better use of your time than the Stand miniseries. Either one.

*edit* Forgot what thread this was for a second...

Last edited:
Reactions: chaos4

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
If it was out in the 80's, it's probably on Prime.

As long as you're on there, I recommend Crime Story. 60's period piece about the rivalry and hatred between a rough and tumble police lieutenant and a Chicago Outfit heavy. Created by Michael Mann, and features literally everyone who's been in a mob movie or tv show over the last forty years. A vastly better use of your time than the Stand miniseries. Either one.

I agree, great show!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad