Player Discussion: The Great Rhett Rakhshani

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
No idea why this dude's name popped in my head today, but I decided to look up his stats and see where he ended up after we let him go. For the life of me I had no idea he was as productive as he was with Bridgeport. 62 points in 66 games his first full season. 49 points in 49 games the following season. Yet even with those numbers he only appeared in 7 games with the Isles before moving on to play in Europe.

Kind of weird to me that a guy that young who had that much success in the AHL wouldn't have at least gotten bounced around the league a bit. Teams taking a chance, while he pushes forward in an attempt to stick at the NHL level. Looks like his last year here was at 24 years of age.

Anybody know what exactly the deal was with this guy? I'm sure at the end of the day he was one of those "doesn't provide value in a bottom-six role, but not good enough to score at the NHL level so can't play in a top-six role either" types. Just kind of weird how quickly he disappeared considering his AHL success. Did he just prefer going to Europe instead of carry on with the life of a minor leaguer? I have a hard time believing there were NO teams looking to sign a 24 year old PPG AHLer.

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
No idea why this dude's name popped in my head today, but I decided to look up his stats and see where he ended up after we let him go. For the life of me I had no idea he was as productive as he was with Bridgeport. 62 points in 66 games his first full season. 49 points in 49 games the following season. Yet even with those numbers he only appeared in 7 games with the Isles before moving on to play in Europe.

Kind of weird to me that a guy that young who had that much success in the AHL wouldn't have at least gotten bounced around the league a bit. Teams taking a chance, while he pushes forward in an attempt to stick at the NHL level. Looks like his last year here was at 24 years of age.

Anybody know what exactly the deal was with this guy? I'm sure at the end of the day he was one of those "doesn't provide value in a bottom-six role, but not good enough to score at the NHL level so can't play in a top-six role either" types. Just kind of weird how quickly he disappeared considering his AHL success. Did he just prefer going to Europe instead of carry on with the life of a minor leaguer? I have a hard time believing there were NO teams looking to sign a 24 year old PPG AHLer.

Good callback! RR kind of struck me as a player who would have been better served entering the league now, as opposed to 10+ years ago. Maybe he could have carved out a role, of course it would have helped if he could have improved his skating back then too. I wonder if he improved in that area in the SHL?

Reactions: Riseonfire

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Still playing in Germany after many years in Sweden, but not really a big point producer there. If my memory serves, didn't he have some back problems that led us to not extend him?

Reactions: NC 1972

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Rhett was just never NHL player material, but for every undersized point producer that makes it, 50 of them don’t.

It was a good gamble, it’s just hard to predict how undersized scorers are going to adjust to professional hockey in North America.

I’m glad to see he’s carved out a career in Europe. He’s a good dude.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I'll take your Rhett Rakshani and raise you a David Ulstrom!

I always wondered why RR never stuck/never given a shot, considering his numbers in AHL, but theres more to it than we know....always is.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

I always wondered why RR never stuck/never given a shot, considering his numbers in AHL, but theres more to it than we know....always is.

That’s another good one. I’ll always remember the hype around guys like Colliton and Comeau, although Comeau managed to have a nice NHL career.

There was a guy back when I first started following the team in like ‘01/02. I think outside of Raffi Torres he was like our only quality prospect from what I remember, and he was hyped beyond belief. I can’t remember his name but pretty sure he was a Russian defenseman. Anyone remember who this guy was or was this all a dream I had?

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
That’s another good one. I’ll always remember the hype around guys like Colliton and Comeau, although Comeau managed to have a nice NHL career.

There was a guy back when I first started following the team in like ‘01/02. I think outside of Raffi Torres he was like our only quality prospect from what I remember, and he was hyped beyond belief. I can’t remember his name but pretty sure he was a Russian defenseman. Anyone remember who this guy was or was this all a dream I had?
prob like Bratislav Mezei or some shit. lots of weird prospects back then, and the sound tigers almost wining the AHL championship really made it seem the isles future was real bright back then--despite trading all the blue chip prospects

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Good callback! RR kind of struck me as a player who would have been better served entering the league now, as opposed to 10+ years ago. Maybe he could have carved out a role, of course it would have helped if he could have improved his skating back then too. I wonder if he improved in that area in the SHL?
If my memory is correct aside from possibly being the first player of Indo- American decent drafted into an NHL organization, I believe he was a Roller Hockey player out of California .

Reactions: danteipp

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Rhett was just never NHL player material, but for every undersized point producer that makes it, 50 of them don’t.

It was a good gamble, it’s just hard to predict how undersized scorers are going to adjust to professional hockey in North America.

I’m glad to see he’s carved out a career in Europe. He’s a good dude.
Long Island native , Richie Hansen or Hanson was a very prolific goal scorer for the Islanders AHL affiliate that they shared with the Blackhawks in Fort Worth Texas the team may have been called the Blackhawks not sure . But I'd follow him in the AHL couldn't wait for the Hockey News to arrive, He only got a few games in the Big's might have been a courtesy and a little exposure for the home town fans.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

Ullstrom was a slightly more intriguing prospect in my mind. Big centerman with a nice scoring touch. To put it bluntly, we couldn't develop players period. Zero resources committed to doing so. I am not necessarily a Charles Wang hater but the imbecile he left in place as GM and then president couldn't ever figure this out. Or much else for that matter. Bridgeport was an absolute goat rope until Lou got here. We'll never know what could've been. I get it these guys are mid around picks but still.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I assume you're not talking about Korolev, who NYI drafted twice.

There was a bunch of hype for a 3 week period (it felt like that anyway) about Alexei Stonkus. But then he sustained a serious neck or back injury that ended his career.

NYI have had a bunch of players like Rakhshani over the years. Jeff Hamilton & Juraj Kolnik come to mind. Weinhandl was the most talented, but I think his eye injury was a bigger obstacle on the small ice. Players with skill, but just not big enough ando/or quick enough.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I assume you're not talking about Korolev, who NYI drafted twice.

There was a bunch of hype for a 3 week period (it felt like that anyway) about Alexei Stonkus. But then he sustained a serious neck or back injury that ended his career.

NYI have had a bunch of players like Rakhshani over the years. Jeff Hamilton & Juraj Kolnik come to mind. Weinhandl was the most talented, but I think his eye injury was a bigger obstacle on the small ice. Players with skill, but just not big enough ando/or quick enough.

Holy crap I think that actually might be him. Stonkus. I was thinking in my head something that sounded like Cherapanov, obviously not that exactly but something similar, but now that I read his name and looked up his card, I think that may be him. It's a little later than I thought though if he was drafted in '02, because by then we would have at least had Bergenheim. In my mind we had absolutely nothing at the time but maybe I'm just misremembering.

As far as the other guys you mentioned, that's kind of my point though. The guys you mentioned at least bounced around the league a bit before being phased out. Just weird to me how quickly Rakhshani was gone from North America.

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
As far as the other guys you mentioned, that's kind of my point though. The guys you mentioned at least bounced around the league a bit before being phased out. Just weird to me how quickly Rakhshani was gone from North America.
Could be a simple matter of trying European hockey, and deciding it's a good life.

Reactions: Mike C

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
He was given a 3 game stint. He didn't look bad...but we were a BAD team, so that's saying he might have been average bad. He had good hands and good speed, but I remember him skating up the ice and being stopped on the spot...he wasn't even hit by the other player..he just ran into the guy and his entire momentum just stopped dead. If it was Pageau for example, doing the same thing, JPG would have just bounced off the guy and kept on going or pushed the other player out of the way. ..His [Rhett's] strength was his downfall.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Chebaturkin?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

Rhett Rakhshani sounds like the next Ben and Jerry’s flavor
8414AA81-53C9-49B6-BB47-F0380E69746C.jpeg

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Justin Mapletoft is reading this thread.

SeasonTeamLgeGPGAPtsPIM+/-GPGAPtsPIM
Regular SeasonPlayoffs
1996-97Red Deer RebelsWHL20000----------
1997-98Red Deer RebelsWHL6594134151010
1998-99Red Deer RebelsWHL72242246819923512
1999-00Red Deer RebelsWHL7239579613526421328
2000-01Red Deer RebelsWHL704377120111452213213459
2001-02Bridgeport Sound TigersAHL801320336011207101723
2002-03Bridgeport Sound TigersAHL6313263947971236
2002-03New York IslandersNHL112242-120000
2003-04Bridgeport Sound TigersAHL36101323590----------
2003-04New York IslandersNHL271456-1----------
2004-05Bridgeport Sound TigersAHL6111243551-9----------
2005-06Jokerit HelsinkiSM-liiga181348-2----------
2005-06Sodertalje SKSEL311472134-9----------
2006-07Nuermberg Sinupret Ice TigersDEL102352-31324610
2007-08Binghamton SenatorsAHL7818224077-7----------
2008-09VSV ECAustria522038586621
2009-10Straubing TigersDEL5013263948-12----------
2010-11Straubing TigersDEL5216193571-14----------
2011-12Basel Sharks EHCSwiss-B1458134
2011-12Sierre HCSwiss-B21230
2011-12Schwenningen ERC2.GBun140668
NHL Totals38369820000
Embed Justin Mapletoft stats! | View as text

Those Red Deer numbers, sheesh.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
He's playing in Germany just now after like a decade in Sweden.

He's actually on the same team as his brother-in-law (they married sisters).

A visit to Wolfsburg to see the family turned into his next contract.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Rhett Rakh has ended his career because of illness in his family. I wish him and his family the best.

• Wow
Reactions: xECK29x

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille