Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Upon Further Review... Two in a Row! Sabres 3-1 over Penguins, 1/6/24

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20240107_073811.png

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
45 shots, 2 disallowed goals, a couple of posts. This is why you don't blame the bounces for losses, as everything evens out over 82 games. Game is testament on how outcomes drive perception.

Good in this game for me was obviously UPL, but also even though the sabers gave up a lot of shots, they were tipping passes in the ozone, tying up sticks to repress shots.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
45 shots, 2 disallowed goals, a couple of posts. This is why you don't blame the bounces for losses, as everything evens out over 82 games. Game is testament on how outcomes drive perception.

Good in this game for me was obviously UPL, but also even though the sabers gave up a lot of shots, they were tipping passes in the ozone, tying up sticks to repress shots.

And blocked a bunch, as well.

I watched about half of the game and my biggest concern is still offense. I don't understand what happened to the team from last season, but this year a lot of the time it looks like they're waiting for lucky bounces instead of actually creating opportunities, save for Quinn and Benson, honestly. Compare that to the setups the Pens were running and it was painful to watch at times. Maybe they're so focused on trying to improve defensively that they're not able to trust their instincts?

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
And blocked a bunch, as well.

I watched about half of the game and my biggest concern is still offense. I don't understand what happened to the team from last season, but this year a lot of the time it looks like they're waiting for lucky bounces instead of actually creating opportunities, save for Quinn and Benson, honestly. Compare that to the setups the Pens were running and it was painful to watch at times. Maybe they're so focused on trying to improve defensively that they're not able to trust their instincts?
Around 3-5 times they worked out a good scoring chance only to try yet another pass which ended the sequence. I'd love to see more pucks on net and guys there to crash. It's old and boring but when you aren't generating much else it's worth the effort.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Around 3-5 times they worked out a good scoring chance only to try yet another pass which ended the sequence. I'd love to see more pucks on net and guys there to crash. It's old and boring but when you aren't generating much else it's worth the effort.

Even more concerning to me, several golden shooting opportunities and they are completely missing the net. What happened to their ability to finish? They were deadly last year. Is it between the ears?

For example, Tage from last year has 2 goals in this game with the chances he had. Instead he hit the crest or missed the net.

yasky

Nov 29, 2021
G: UPL. Oh and winning. Winning is typically good.
B: Matt Ellis is still hanging around stealing Pegula's money. Power still needs a good teacher.
U: The refs calling 2 penalties at once leading to the Pittsburgh goal

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Wonder how many shots the Pens ended up getting off dylan cozen turnovers. Game couldve been 30 shots a piece

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Crazier things have happened

No, they rarely ever happen. People are reading too much, Mike Harrington. Let's say they won the next five. Even then, they would need to go 21-11-5 - 104-point pace. They are also not winning the next five in a row for a 7 game-win streak. The math doesn't work. Sure, it could happen, but to play half a season at a 111-point pace, which is currently needed, Buffalo would basically have to be the best team in the NHL in the second half.

Who believes that? C'mon. It's over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad