GBU The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Exasperation. Skills Competition Loss 5-4 in Washington

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I am so sick of watching our guys get grabbed or hit late or without the puck and it goes uncalled "because the team is young and they have to earn those calls". Skinner gets mugged once a shift and they rarely call it. I can live with a missed call here or there or even the occasional we messed up here is a freebie but it is out of control
That and the rampant game management is ruining the product. Nothing like knowing the other team has free reign to commit as many blatant infractions as they want when they're down 2 or more, but your squad will get whistled for anything that even smells like a penalty.

They desperately need a new voice/structure on the PK unit. It's comical how often they have two dudes overcommitting to the puck and leave cross-ice passing lanes open.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
You’d like to see Tage show up on the scoreboard in this one
He had a lot of good looks, felt like he normally would've potted one. It was too bad he partially wiped out on the wraparound in the first because he had room, and Skinner set him up for one from in close where he had to get the shot off quick before it got broken up and he fired it right into the goalie's pad.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hard to win consistently when you're getting sub 900 save percentage.
If they could use a time machine to de-age Andy by at least 6 years so he could have closer to a regular starter's workload, they're in a WC spot right now.

I wouldn't totally hate the idea of keeping UPL as a backup next year, but rolling with both him and Comrie? No thanks.

Reactions: Bendium

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
When did we get Robin Lehner back for shootouts?
Tuch and Tage - you couldn’t have sucked more on your shootout attempts. Pathetic.
Should have never gone to a shootout. What terrible third period response by a team that DIDN’T have back to back games.
I cynically wondered in the 3rd period which team actually played last night.....

Sabres appeared to be gassed.

Reactions: TuchYeah

TuchYeah

Mar 15, 2023
Man that is brutal. At some point they have to learn from all these blown losses right?

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Notes from the phone booth:

RAGE:
- The NHL cemented my resolve to never knowingly give them a single groat, ever.
- How does Skinner get thrown into the Caps goal by Jensen without the puck, dislodging it, and it's not interference. Then have a ref come in and rule faceoff outside the zone. Then not 5 seconds of game time after that non-call there's an interference penalty on Stillman after a disgraceful dive by Aubel-Kube. I was/am incredulous at the double standard.
- The other disgraceful dive by Irwin after taking about 4 swings at Tuch. NHL refs are rubes, I hope they all sign roof contracts with Travelers. They are absolute dupes and suckers, more than just that one variety Kevin Costner mentioned.
- The Capitals are a scummy bunch, a direct reflection of their filthy coach. I wish them nothing but failure and despair. Apparently it's a Caps tradition at the start of every period, just as the opponent lines up for faceoff, for one of their shitty players to have a puckless "faux breakaway" on the opposing goalie complete with lots of fancy fake dekes, a fake shot, and a fake goal celebration. Woo woo. Today it was Ovenchicken and Kokeznozoff that I noticed. I'd like to see those guys try that in 1995 or earlier.
- Caps fans crying for a penalty after Dahlin poke checked some Cap (Sheary or Dowd). Learn the game.
- Wilson of course was a scummy dink all over the place, but the refs watched Nic "No Talent" Dowd take a run from behind at Skinner, elbow him in the back of the head, and all good by the NHL. Big discussion between the benches after the 2nd period following that.

DISAPPOINT:
- Skinner is on my s-list. Takes shortcuts all over the ice. Lack of detail and lolligagging getting back to his zone led to some extended Caps zone possessions and at least a GA. That's aside from killing most possessions with some stupid pass attempt through 3 opponents or shoveling the puck to the goalie with no hope of anything positive, or just toe-picking himself into the ice.
- Power in the defensive zone looked like a 5:4 scale Bryson. Turn the puck back to the wall, get thumped, lose possession. Led to a couple GAs.
- Krebs with like 4 consecutive passes to either nobody or a Cap directly. And then redeems himself setting up Girgs for the goal.
- Jost with one of the worst shifts I've seen late in the first. And then redeems himself finding a puck and picking top corner.
- Whole team far too sloppy and casual at the bluelines. And what the hell is this wham the puck 90-degrees off the wall directly to the opponent?
- Cozens with a bad flyby at the point that led to GA and just wasn't a factor tonight.
- Quinn was more of a mini-zamboni than Sheary.
- Luukkonen was awful. He looked so much worse than his stat line. 2nd goal was I don't even know what. He was terrible at rebound control, terrible at positioning, terrible controlling his movements, terrible in the shootout. Hell, he was terrible staying upright on one dump in. He is clearly not the answer right now. I'd rather see the guy who got lit up for 10 next time, I'm pretty sure.

WELL ALRIGHT:
- Mittelstadt has become plus at puck protection and walking off the wall. Useful player.
- Tage really engaged physically and looked like he wanted the W.
- If the Sabres had Lyubushkin and Stillman eating bottom pair minutes all year like the past 2 games they'd be more firmly a factor in the playoff race.
- One of the mites picked the top corner in the first intermission, probably would have beat Lindgren with it.
- Dahlin didn't retaliate despite Caps finishing constantly waaaaay later than any other star would be made to tolerate without an interference call. Literally motioned to the ref, "are you seeing this" after Wilson ran him a good 2 seconds after moving the puck. Wilson speared him in the leg after that. Why not? Ref's looking right at the whole spectacle and obviously won't call it, and he has the LBI scouting report and no character.
- Girgs and Okposo with extended grinding shifts.

I absolutely hated this game, and hate the NHL for taking such a graceful and ferocious sport and turning it into a complete ****ing farce and making me hate this game that I'd loved all my life heretofore. **** you NHL. **** you and get ****ed. I hope karma lands on Buttman, the rules committee, and the DoPeS like molten plasma and ruins them all.

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Sabres have no business being this close with this goal tending. Adams and Granato have done so much right, but the goalie position is not one of them. Lack of talent or lack of coaching, the truth is somewhere in there.

Woke up amazed at how little time it took Greenway to slip from energized to sluggish.
I can't remember where I heard it, it may have been Vanek, but the guys basically has season-ending or off season surgery, and did not have time to train this summer. He's been playing catch-up ever since. I expect this trade was more viewed as an upside one and I think it is going to take some time to figure out where he fits in.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Tage's line set the tone for the third period and beyond by having an absolute brutal shift to start the period. Yuck.

Tough loss. The Caps were playing like their lives depended on it. I don't think the Sabres were mailing it in, either; they just struggled mightily with the Caps physical forecheck.

Onto the next one, as my man Jigga would say.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Clearly injured and rushed back to try to help the playoff push
Yeah. It really is that simple. He isn't being nearly as flashy since returning, and hasn't been feisty at all out there. I can't remember seeing him in a scrum or giving somebody some stick work since returning.

It sucks, but even at 80%- he's still better than a lot of defenseman. He's just not that elite defenseman we've all grown to love.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sabres have no business being this close with this goal tending. Adams and Granato have done so much right, but the goalie position is not one of them. Lack of talent or lack of coaching, the truth is somewhere in there.

I can't remember where I heard it, it may have been Vanek, but the guys basically has season-ending or off season surgery, and did not have time to train this summer. He's been playing catch-up ever since. I expect this trade was more viewed as an upside one and I think it is going to take some time to figure out where he fits in.

There was talk that he hurt it in training camp or some such over on the Wild board. He'll have the summer to get himself right but I admit I was hoping the adrenaline would last longer.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
The Good:

Mitts was an absolute dog tonight.
Quinn-Peterka flashing the jets.
Krebs getting back from being crushed by feeding Gus, Gus converting.
Gummi 2.0.
Matt Irwin, best supporting actor in a drama or comedy.
Power looked great. Thought Jokiharju was also good.

The Bad:

UPL is a bad shoot out goalie.
Whoever coaches the PK should be sacked.
Greenway was not it at all tonight.

The Ugly:

Tage at the faceoff dot.
Tage's line got their shift pushed in by Dowd's line all night.
Three goals against in the third.
Leaving points behind yet again.
NHL officiating is spicy.
We apologize for the terrible Penalty Kill. The people responsible for sacking the PK coaches have been sacked.

I know I failed this part of the SATs but are you saying that NHL Officiating : Spicy :: Hot Sauce : Terrible?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We apologize for the terrible Penalty Kill. The people responsible for sacking the PK coaches have been sacked.

I know I failed this part of the SATs but are you saying that NHL Officiating : Spicy :: Hot Sauce : Terrible?

Yes, spicy as in terrible.

Reactions: Digable5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad