GBU The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Exasperation. Skills Competition Loss 5-4 in Washington

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I was more upset with Power and Jost on that one than Greenway.

The first Caps PP goal was largely about Greenway chasing the play, though.
No sure why. Greenway was covering him off the wall and made a half hearted attempt to tie him up. Zero urgency in the coverage

Reactions: Chainshot

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Notes from the phone booth:

RAGE:
- The NHL cemented my resolve to never knowingly give them a single groat, ever.
- How does Skinner get thrown into the Caps goal by Jensen without the puck, dislodging it, and it's not interference. Then have a ref come in and rule faceoff outside the zone. Then not 5 seconds of game time after that non-call there's an interference penalty on Stillman after a disgraceful dive by Aubel-Kube. I was/am incredulous at the double standard.
- The other disgraceful dive by Irwin after taking about 4 swings at Tuch. NHL refs are rubes, I hope they all sign roof contracts with Travelers. They are absolute dupes and suckers, more than just that one variety Kevin Costner mentioned.
- The Capitals are a scummy bunch, a direct reflection of their filthy coach. I wish them nothing but failure and despair. Apparently it's a Caps tradition at the start of every period, just as the opponent lines up for faceoff, for one of their shitty players to have a puckless "faux breakaway" on the opposing goalie complete with lots of fancy fake dekes, a fake shot, and a fake goal celebration. Woo woo. Today it was Ovenchicken and Kokeznozoff that I noticed. I'd like to see those guys try that in 1995 or earlier.
- Caps fans crying for a penalty after Dahlin poke checked some Cap (Sheary or Dowd). Learn the game.
- Wilson of course was a scummy dink all over the place, but the refs watched Nic "No Talent" Dowd take a run from behind at Skinner, elbow him in the back of the head, and all good by the NHL. Big discussion between the benches after the 2nd period following that.

DISAPPOINT:
- Skinner is on my s-list. Takes shortcuts all over the ice. Lack of detail and lolligagging getting back to his zone led to some extended Caps zone possessions and at least a GA. That's aside from killing most possessions with some stupid pass attempt through 3 opponents or shoveling the puck to the goalie with no hope of anything positive, or just toe-picking himself into the ice.
- Power in the defensive zone looked like a 5:4 scale Bryson. Turn the puck back to the wall, get thumped, lose possession. Led to a couple GAs.
- Krebs with like 4 consecutive passes to either nobody or a Cap directly. And then redeems himself setting up Girgs for the goal.
- Jost with one of the worst shifts I've seen late in the first. And then redeems himself finding a puck and picking top corner.
- Whole team far too sloppy and casual at the bluelines. And what the hell is this wham the puck 90-degrees off the wall directly to the opponent?
- Cozens with a bad flyby at the point that led to GA and just wasn't a factor tonight.
- Quinn was more of a mini-zamboni than Sheary.
- Luukkonen was awful. He looked so much worse than his stat line. 2nd goal was I don't even know what. He was terrible at rebound control, terrible at positioning, terrible controlling his movements, terrible in the shootout. Hell, he was terrible staying upright on one dump in. He is clearly not the answer right now. I'd rather see the guy who got lit up for 10 next time, I'm pretty sure.

WELL ALRIGHT:
- Mittelstadt has become plus at puck protection and walking off the wall. Useful player.
- Tage really engaged physically and looked like he wanted the W.
- If the Sabres had Lyubushkin and Stillman eating bottom pair minutes all year like the past 2 games they'd be more firmly a factor in the playoff race.
- One of the mites picked the top corner in the first intermission, probably would have beat Lindgren with it.
- Dahlin didn't retaliate despite Caps finishing constantly waaaaay later than any other star would be made to tolerate without an interference call. Literally motioned to the ref, "are you seeing this" after Wilson ran him a good 2 seconds after moving the puck. Wilson speared him in the leg after that. Why not? Ref's looking right at the whole spectacle and obviously won't call it, and he has the LBI scouting report and no character.
- Girgs and Okposo with extended grinding shifts.

I absolutely hated this game, and hate the NHL for taking such a graceful and ferocious sport and turning it into a complete ****ing farce and making me hate this game that I'd loved all my life heretofore. **** you NHL. **** you and get ****ed. I hope karma lands on Buttman, the rules committee, and the DoPeS like molten plasma and ruins them all.
Impressive synopsis. If you would only stop drinking, I would recommend you to Granato as an assistant coach.......... lol.

P.S. You see, from the ref's point of view, Skinner deliberately tried to dislodge the net and could have been called for a delay of game penalty.

You Buffalo fans just don't have your priorities right. The Caps are a favored franchise.... Except when they play Pittsburg.......

Buffalo has absolutely no credibility with the refs (or the League) on just about anything.

Ya gotta get wit da program.........

I mean….while I do think there needs to be a coaching changes, these are two specific areas having such a young roster is going to cause issues. Need a complete revamp of the bottom 6 forward group. These were both a huge point of concern going into the season with the roster.
I vote for Ralonzo for next Asst Coach....!!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
No sure why. Greenway was covering him off the wall and made a half hearted attempt to tie him up. Zero urgency in the coverage
Greenway was always in chase mode and Jost and Power were able to step forward and take away the passing lane and they got caught puck watching.

There was no reason why they shouldn't have taken away that passing lane given the way the play was going. They were taking away nothing by staying on the wrong side of the goal.

Reactions: Chainshot

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Anyone else notice both Quinn and Skinner get tackled from behind with no call?

In the third period I turned to my friend and asked, "Is Cozens even playing tonight?" Then he goes and does a half hearted swing and a miss at the puck which eventually leads to the gtg. Bad effort by Cozens.

The whole thought about Buffalo being an easy team to push around was evident last night. That was part of why Greenway was brought in, right? The refs swallowed their whistles until they realized the Caps might lose without help.

Reactions: oldgoalie

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Anyone else notice both Quinn and Skinner get tackled from behind with no call?

In the third period I turned to my friend and asked, "Is Cozens even playing tonight?" Then he goes and does a half hearted swing and a miss at the puck which eventually leads to the gtg. Bad effort by Cozens.

The whole thought about Buffalo being an easy team to push around was evident last night. That was part of why Greenway was brought in, right? The refs swallowed their whistles until they realized the Caps might lose without help.
plus the elbow to Skinner in the back that didn't get called. f***ing bush league officiating continues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad