TV: The Good Doctor

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Anyone catch the first episode? I enjoyed it but it was a bit cheesy at times. Definitely willing to give it a few episodes

Shaun Murphy, a young autistic surgeon who has savant syndrome, relocates from a quiet country life to join the surgical unit at the prestigious San Jose St. Bonaventure Hospital -- a move strongly supported by his mentor, Dr. Aaron Glassman. Having survived a troubled childhood, Shaun is alone in the world and unable to personally connect with those around him, but he finds his niche using his extraordinary medical skill and intuition to save lives and challenge the skepticism of his colleagues.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
This may be the most inaccurate portrayal of a doctor on TV since the great sitcom Frasier confused a psychiatrist as being the same as a psychologist for 11 years. I'm just gonna paste this here:

"So, he's a surgical resident? At 18? Is he a first year, I mean, you have to go through 4 years of med school, they don't let you graduate early for being smart...so am I to believe that this kid possibly started med school at 13 or younger? When did he start college, 10? I mean, with the greatest scores in the world, who would offer a 17/18-year-old a residency? Emotional maturity does count for something. Who would accept a 13-year-old (or younger, depending on what year of residency this kid is) into med school?"

--------------------------------------------------------------

"The good doctor enters the OR without his mask on and simply expects the nurse/assistant to just put it for him without at least an insult. The good doctor takes so long to think up a basic trauma diagnosis like tension pneumothorax because he's busy reading the definition for tension pneumothorax in his mind palace. Another bystander doctor does nothing more than what any other untrained bystander would have done (compress a bleeding jugular)but even then manages to screw it up because his training didn't give him the insight to realize he was crushing the victim's trachea.

The good doctor decides the same victim must have pericardial effusion because he noticed a slight decrease in amplitude on the rythm strip inside a moving ambulance on a "twenty year old ecg machine" (is what the paramedic says when he's calling him out on it but because he ends up sort of right it doesn't matter how large a leap that was).

Surgeons get sprayed by what is implied to be a mediastinal tuberculosis abscess and then these same surgeons just move on over to operate on the next patient (the trauma kid).

They decide the trauma patient needs abdominal surgery (I figure since they mention the splenic artery, but they only have two tiny surgical incisions and no laparoscopic equipment), yet they don't do the xray that would reveal the twist that this patient has a shard of glass big enough to compress a wall in his left ventricle. I repeat that this is a POLYTRAUMATIZED patient with TENSION PNEUMOTHORAX and glass is radiopaque.

This trauma patient becomes hypotensive during surgery with low voltage QRS. Someone says it's strange because he's not bleeding out (I mean, she just decides this, no one checks if it's true. Lady, you only have two tiny incisions and no laparoscopy camera, you have no idea what's going on inside this patient). The lead surgeon's decision is to stop surgery and ask for an echocardiogram. Get this, he has no idea why he's asking for an echocardiogram, he just heard that the good doctor had suggested it. So while the echo is being done, this surgeon (who has supposedly seen hundreds of echos and many more trauma patients) walks outside the hospital to ask the good doctor (a resident on his first day) for his wisdom. Turns out, if you have a POLYTRAUMA patient with HYPOTENSION and LOW VOLTAGE QRS, you should think about pericardial effusion! Who'da thunk it?

They also take the kid to surgery with the improvised one-way valve (a liquor bottle and some tubing) that the good doctor did on site, and they keep it above the sterile field and touch it after being gloved. I have to assume they at least attempted to sterilize it, but it doesn't feel like that would be enough to make it kosher.

"You should start artificial respiration. This patient is going to stop breathing soon.""

Reactions: Fixxer

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
This may be the most inaccurate portrayal of a doctor on TV since the great sitcom Frasier confused a psychiatrist as being the same as a psychologist for 11 years. I'm just gonna paste this here:

I believe Frasier had both an MD in Psychiatry and a PHD in Psychology. Niles, too.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
It was super cheesy and very annoying if you work in the medical field. Maybe it will get better and I really like Highmore as an actor. I guess we will see if it progresses in a good way or if they continue to have Highmore stand around in silence when he should be replying to someone just to show he's autistic and socially inept. Felt like a quarter of the episode was him staring and not answering.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I liked how in the airport he took effort using alcohol o sterilize the the kids chest and his glove and then just stabs him with an unsterilized knife he got from airport security.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Watched the first episode, so cheesy, so inaccurate, tired of the whole hot doctors thing...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
From what I've heard I'll pass.

Sign me up when they produce a "The Bad Doctor" though.

Would that not be House? He was a total asshole and was on painkillers for a long time though he was still good at what he did so not sure if he would count.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Would that not be House? He was a total ******* and was on painkillers for a long time though he was still good at what he did so not sure if he would count.
I was thinking either a totally incompetent doctor whose dad is the Chief of Staff of the hospital and can't get fired. Or a good doctor that kills people and sometimes patients.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
So yet another autistic-guy-with-magical-powers show?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I loved Highmore in Bates Motel, so its a shame to hear the negative feedback on this show

Any redeeming aspects?

Reactions: Fixxer

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I loved Highmore in Bates Motel, so its a shame to hear the negative feedback on this show

Any redeeming aspects?

I think Highmore does a great job in his part. Other aspects of the show can be quite cheesy though if you have a medical background or know the basics.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I didn't know if there was a thread about this show. I actually like it. I wonder where they're are heading for season 4.
I won't comment further, so to avoid spoilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad