OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I am currently reading the sci fi novel "Judas Unchained", the third book in the "Commonwealth Saga" by Peter F Hamilton I read "Pandoras Planet" which is the book before this one. Like most of the books I have read by him it's uneven, mainly because there so many threads and sometimes they don't come together very well in the end. He deals a lot with alien species and those parts are usually good but like most sci fi when it comes to relationships and sex etc. Those parts are like any dime novel, women with perfect bodies, hot sex that is very banal. The first book in the series is supposedly very bad and according to critics there is no continuation carried over in the next book so I skipped that one.

***spoiler alert***

Humans have discovered wormholes and can travel in the galaxy and they do and settle in many new worlds, some have to be "terraformed" then a physics professor on a small planet notice that 2 twin stars disappear like a gigantic drape is in place. The humans discuss what kind of powerful aliens could have done this and why. So they send a ship there and when they arrive the it disappears and behind is an extremely aggressive species that fight with each other and anyone else.

Last edited:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
He was a genius for sure.
The Kid. Was that the one where the kid was played by a very young Uncle Fester from the Adams TV series?
That's the guy! Jackie Coogan is wonderful in that movie.

Chaplin got the idea for the movie from seeing young JC come on stage one time after his father and do a little dance. Jackie's father actually played a small role in 'The Kid' (the pickpocket).

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
That's the guy! Jackie Coogan is wonderful in that movie.

Chaplin got the idea for the movie from seeing young JC come on stage one time after his father and do a little dance. Jackie's father actually played a small role in 'The Kid' (the pickpocket).

Amazing such a cute kid could look like this. :)

images

Reactions: Chili

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I've started early on my new year's resolution, which is to re-read my collection of Iain M Banks SF novels. In order.

Consider Phlebas is still one of his best books. We could do with one of the tripedal 8-foot-tall Idiran ultra-warriors at LD.

I read up about this novel and I will read it when I am finished with "Judas Unchained" but while reading reviews etc I saw that Amazon has bought the film rights (in 2018) and they are planning a TV series based on it.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I was gifted Barry Zito's book for Christmas. Looks like an interesting read. I can't imagine how a star pitcher could be unhappy with a 7 year 21 million a year contract. But be cool to hear his side.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Any that can recommend a good biography about The Band with warts and all (like R Robertson writing most songs and the rest of the band or at least 3 of them claiming it was a group effort). They are one of my favorite bands.?

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Any that can recommend a good biography about The Band with warts and all (like R Robertson writing most songs and the rest of the band or at least 3 of them claiming it was a group effort). They are one of my favorite bands.?
Surfing this week, noticed this book:

817+pF0v40L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Appears there are highly rated memoirs by Levon Helm and Robbie Robertson. Those two interest me as well.

Edit: I'm curious if there is a good book on the Moody Blues, don't know if there are any published memoirs?

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Appears there are highly rated memoirs by Levon Helm and Robbie Robertson. Those two interest me as well.

Edit: I'm curious if there is a good book on the Moody Blues, don't know if there are any published memoirs?

Thanks, I will check that one out.

I have read one Moody Blues biography although it was more like hagiography or a fanzine, it was called Timeless Troubadours and it is pretty awful. There is a fairly new one that I haven't read that is called Long Distance Voyagers.

Reactions: Chili

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

I've been thinking about reading RR's book . Some of his former bandmates ( Levon in particular) have accused him of being a glory hound and of claming the credit for a lot more stuff than what he contributed to the group. I'm curious about what's his side of the story on that.

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Loving it. Finished the second book, amazing ending. Type of series that keeps you wanting more. Its a little harder to follow than other series as there are so many characters, so you refer to the character list a bit to remind you who is who - but tge characters are very well written.

Ive seen a number of ‘best fantasy series ever written’ lists with malazan at #1... its deserved. If you like the genre, its a must.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Loving it. Finished the second book, amazing ending. Type of series that keeps you wanting more. Its a little harder to follow than other series as there are so many characters, so you refer to the character list a bit to remind you who is who - but tge characters are very well written.

Ive seen a number of ‘best fantasy series ever written’ lists with malazan at #1... its deserved. If you like the genre, its a must.

To put the above in context, the poster is following up on this post from the prior page:

Im up to the 2nd book in the Malazan book of the fallen series by Steven Erikson. Had heard a lot of good things about it over the years but never got around to reading it - wish i read it sooner!

No wasting time setting the scene, you start right in the action and go from there, putting the pieces together as you go.

Also contains a list of who is who at the front which you reference a fair bit as you read - epic fantasy at its best!

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I've been thinking about reading RR's book . Some of his former bandmates ( Levon in particular) have accused him of being a glory hound and of claming the credit for a lot more stuff than what he contributed to the group. I'm curious about what's his side of the story on that.
I love Robbie Robertson’s work after leaving The Band and what have the others done? I think he was the driving force behind The Band but I can see that a lot of the songs idea’s weren’t his like ‘The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down’ but I suspect he made a lot of the music happen, these bands tend to need someone to keep the pedal to the floor or everything is just unfinished business.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I love Robbie Robertson’s work after leaving The Band and what have the others done? I think he was the driving force behind The Band but I can see that a lot of the songs idea’s weren’t his like ‘The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down’ but I suspect he made a lot of the music happen, these bands tend to need someone to keep the pedal to the floor or everything is just unfinished business.
I think at least some of it comes from some of the guys being bitter about the group breaking up. I remember both Helm and Danko blaming Robertson for it and accusing him of using his friendship with Scorsese to make himself come out of ''The last Waltz'' like the star of the group. It's all perspective obviously, the movie wouldn't exist at all if it weren't for Robertson after all. I think it's fair to say he was the lead creative force for a large chunk of their material, at the very least, nobody can take that away from him.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I think at least some of it comes from some of the guys being bitter about the group breaking up. I remember both Helm and Danko blaming Robertson for it and accusing him of using his friendship with Scorsese to make himself come out of ''The last Waltz'' like the star of the group. It's all perspective obviously, the movie wouldn't exist at all if it weren't for Robertson after all. I think it's fair to say he was the lead creative force for a large chunk of their material, at the very least, nobody can take that away from him.
There’s a documentary out there about Robbie (about 2 hours long) where he goes into his influences and the influence of native drums in rock’n’roll. It’s informative and enjoyable. Well worth seeking out. It might be CBC or who knows who made it. I’ve seen it a couple of times, so it’s still out there.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

His first solo is great. Haven't listened very much to the other solo albums.

Will get his autobiography.

Reactions: Runner77

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
His first solo is great. Haven't listened very much to the other solo albums.

Will get his autobiography.
His other albums (the ones I’ve heard) aren’t as commercially accessible. Albums like Contact From the Underworld of Redboy is a lot different, it’s very much Native American music. It’s well done but different.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Sekret Machines - Chasing Shadows from Tom DeLonge and A.J. Hartley.

Yes, same Tom who left Blink-182. I must say it's better than expected. Will probably get A Fire Within and/or Gods, Man and War after.

HelloBellyvo

Jul 2, 2019
I just got 1st few books of his. Great books. I know u said u liked harry hole. So i suggest u read john sanfords "prey" series. Great books
They latest bosch novel is great. Always a great read. I just happen to have the latest Lucas Davenport and will read after the holidays. More quiet time .

HelloBellyvo

Jul 2, 2019
The harry hole books are great. Im reading bruce coffin's detective byrons series right now. Great books. Being a former detective he knows polive procedures
Thanks for the recommendation. I fully enjoyed this book. I believe he will have a follow up book with Sargeant Byron.
Right now I am reading( when I can) something a bit offbeat. Norwegian by Night by Derek B Miller.

Reactions: Runner77

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
277412.jpg

Half way through, very good read. There's a hint of where his nickname originated on the cover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad