The Golden Knights success shows how dumb NHL GMs are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
A few Golden Knights transactions from last summer:

- Select Clayton Stoner from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for Shea Theodore
- Select Erik Haula from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for Alex Tuch
- Select William Karlsson in exchange for a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder in 2019 and David Clarkson
- Select Jonathan Marchessault and a 4th rounder in exchange for Reilly Smith

And that, plus Marc-Andre Fleury and Gerard Gallant, is why the Golden Knights are so good right now.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
The only dumb move out of those would be Florida’s. Minnesota and Anaheim both would have lost better players. Nobody expected William Karlsson to explode the way he did.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The two GMs that should be fired over that expansion draft are the Florida GM and the Columbus GM.

LOL they got bent over hard and it could have been avoided in they knew their own players. Its the equivalent of trading Rask for Raycroft, just dumb and avoidable.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The only dumb move out of those would be Florida’s. Minnesota and Anaheim both would have lost better players. Nobody expected William Karlsson to explode the way he did.

Yeah the OP doesn't understand the Expansion Draft. Wild and Ducks would have lost a better player or forced them to trade somebody.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
James Neal and Marc Andre-Fleury have both won cups and have postseason experience. Smith and Marchessault are young fast talented guys and Karlsson came out of the blue. Eakin, Haula, Perron etc. are good 6-9 forwards. Schmidt, Theodore and Engelland have been solid 2-way defenders.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I still think McPhee just hired a good coach and caught lightning in a bottle.
I agree with this. A good coach and a good goalie. They scouted well and found some talent, but nobody could've predicted or expected that like 12 of their skaters would be having career years.

James Neal and Marc Andre-Fleury have both won cups and have postseason experience
Don't think Neal has any Cups.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I’m fine with this new expansion draft format even though it was tough to decide between 2 or 3 guys that my team had to leave available. I didn’t think though of course that Vegas would be where they’re now.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I agree with this. A good coach and a good goalie. They scouted well and found some talent, but nobody could've predicted or expected that like 12 of their skaters would be having career years.

Don't think Neal has any Cups.
He did with Pittsburgh.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
A few Golden Knights transactions from last summer:

- Select Clayton Stoner from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for Shea Theodore
- Select Erik Haula from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for Alex Tuch
- Select William Karlsson in exchange for a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder in 2019 and David Clarkson
- Select Jonathan Marchessault and a 4th rounder in exchange for Reilly Smith

And that, plus Marc-Andre Fleury and Gerard Gallant, is why the Golden Knights are so good right now.
Hmmm what about them claiming Reinhart from Edmonton? Lol

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
No one is going to defend what Florida did. However seeing Columbus get a free pass is strange. They literally were playing one of the better forwards in the league on the 4th line for 3 seasons. The very second he got out he turns into a monster. Some players don't fit systems and can't find their legs. See a player change teams and have success is not a big deal. JT Miller for example. Played on the 4th line for NY half the season and is now on the 1st line in tampa going almost a point per game. However the difference is the rangers new he was still worth what he was. Columbus did not get the value of Willy K at ALL.

Reactions: MacBradley

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
The two GMs that should be fired over that expansion draft are the Florida GM and the Columbus GM.

LOL they got bent over hard and it could have been avoided in they knew their own players. Its the equivalent of trading Rask for Raycroft, just dumb and avoidable.
Florida yes, Columbus no.
Literally no one expected William Karlsson to become a 70 point player.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It shows if you make good moves and get lucky, some times you are able to take your team on a major run.

Doesn't make it sustainable or reliable to just rely on "good moves" and "luck".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad