Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Make a trade for a new backup

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
From 32 Thoughts on goalies:

13. That said, when it comes to waivers, everyone’s waiting on the goalies. Teams to watch: Buffalo (Eric Comrie or Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen); Detroit (Alex Lyon and James Reimer); Montreal (Cayden Primeau); Philadelphia (Felix Sandstrom); Toronto (Martin Jones). Some teams say they might carry three goalies, but no one ever believes them until it actually happens.

Columbus claimed Spencer Martin. Colorado and Tampa Bay have short-term injury needs. (One executive mentioned St. Louis’s Malcolm Subban for the Lightning, because he was outstanding against their AHL team, Syracuse, in the playoffs.) Will Buffalo keep the veteran Comrie or the higher-ceiling of Luukkonen? (Comrie had a very good pre-season start against Pittsburgh.) Lyon saved Florida’s season late last year. The Red Wings got him with a guaranteed second year, would they risk it on waivers?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Higher-ceiling of Luukkonen is certainly a sentence. Not an accurate one but a sentence nonetheless. Lyon, Primeau, Sandstrom are the goalies I'd be eyeing if I was a team looking for a goalie on the waivers. Comrie is too expensive, UPL I just don't think has the IQ to be a goalie, Jones is just bad and aging, Subban's best hope at becoming a NHL goalie again is being in Springfield.

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
You got to appreciate what an explosive element this Goalie situation is . . .

1696525619501.jpeg

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I've updated the first post to reflect who has already passed through waivers. The remaining guys from the list are:
- Alex Lyon (DET)
- Cayden Primeau (MTL)
- Magnus Hellberg (PIT)
- Matt Tomkins (TB)

Our old friend Calvin Pickard (EDM) is also currently on waivers.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Would ya'll be comfortable trading a pick to secure the right goalie before they go on waivers, or would you just roll the dice that one to you like reaches the Avs in the waiver order?

Forgive me if I don't know who's waiver eligible and who isn't, but I am a big believer that top minutes in lower leagues are more beneficial than reduced minutes in a higher league. For example, I rather have Annunen in the AHL being able to start 40-50 games this season instead of being a bench warmer and playing once every 9-10 games. Wolf might be in a similar situation where a starter in the AHL is better than him playing second fiddle to Markstrom if they do decide to get rid of Vladar. Now, the question arises if these two are still not able to provide some consistent goaltending like last season, then Wolf can be called upon and given a legit chance in the pros. You want players to force you a spot and not be given it where I fully expect Wallstedt and Wolf ability to do just that.
Would ya'll be comfortable trading a pick to secure the right goalie before they go on waivers, or would you just roll the dice that one to you like reaches the Avs in the waiver order?
Only reason to trade for a waivers goalie is to stash them in the AHL, the Avs don’t need to do that.

Forgive me if I don't know who's waiver eligible and who isn't, but I am a big believer that top minutes in lower leagues are more beneficial than reduced minutes in a higher league. For example, I rather have Annunen in the AHL being able to start 40-50 games this season instead of being a bench warmer and playing once every 9-10 games. Wolf might be in a similar situation where a starter in the AHL is better than him playing second fiddle to Markstrom if they do decide to get rid of Vladar. Now, the question arises if these two are still not able to provide some consistent goaltending like last season, then Wolf can be called upon and given a legit chance in the pros. You want players to force you a spot and not be given it where I fully expect Wallstedt and Wolf ability to do just that
It doesn’t have to be either or. With Annunen’s last waiver exempt year you can move him freely around. There’s plenty of opportunity to send Annunen back for an AHL start when schedules allow or to swap him with Holm for a spell where he won’t be needed in the NHL. It’s a big advantage to have a NHL use goalie still on waiver exemption and they should take advantage of that. The reality of a guy just sitting around rotting away just isn’t true.

Reactions: Richard88

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Then so am I!

For real though, is he good? Decent?
Really like this move from the Avs. He fits into the profile of goalies the Avs like and currently fit into their defensive play. Prosvetov has the mobility, agility, and size combination the team will love. Shows he can be patient on his edges and has decent structure. He's done well toning down his play and playing within the crease rather than being an unmitigated scrambling mess. The Yotes did a good job getting him to take a jump last year, Parkkila should be able to get him ready to be the 2G here. Potentially for awhile too.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So Annunen was just sent to minors. Does that mean they want to have Prosvetov as backup this season?
Until there is clarity on Francouz, we don't truly know. The moves the Avs are currently making point to Frank being back at some point... and just holding down the fort right now. If Frank was ruled out, they'd likely be looking to grab a more proven backup.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
So Annunen was just sent to minors. Does that mean they want to have Prosvetov as backup this season?
Since Annunen has waiver protection, I bet the Avs move him up and down a lot this season. My guess is that Annunen is the backup and will start when they want Georgie to have a night off. Prosvetov will be the relief guy who comes in if Georgie get pulled or injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00