Speculation: The Future

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
We have manage to be in the running for a couple of UFAs in the past couple of years, only to watch them sign with other teams. My question is why? The terms have to be close, otherwise we wouldn't be in the running. We have a top 3 defense, solid if not spectacular goal tending, but still...

So what is the lacking selling point? Economic future? What?

At this point and in he next 5 years, I think we have a better team on paper then both PHili and Detroit, but they managed to pull the top UFA centers. Is travel the issue?

In reading JR, the team has not choice but to win in order to get corporate backing and dollars, otherwise we will fail. So what happens from here? We are missing a center and we need that to really become a contender. And why have we failed to sign our top 2 rfas.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
We have manage to be in the running for a couple of UFAs in the past couple of years, only to watch them sign with other teams. My question is why? The terms have to be close, otherwise we wouldn't be in the running. We have a top 3 defense, solid if not spectacular goal tending, but still...

At this point and in he next 5 years, I think we have a better team on paper then both PHili and Detroit, but they managed to pull the top UFA centers. Is travel the issue?

I think we wont go the extra mile in pay. I think in the end it comes down to money. We may put in good offers but don't go the extra mile in pay.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Weiss, Ribeiro, Grabovski, Roy, and Filppula are still on the market. Contract aside, I think Filppula is the best fit. Not only that, but Armstrong is a trader. Back away from the ledge.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Money, playing in the West and the fact it is St. Louis.

The fact is that people who aren't familiar with the city don't realise that it is a great place to raise a family, particularly if you are a millionaire. The East is always going to have an advantage when it comes to "travel", but mainly the certainty over your games start times.

I don't think that Armstrong is willing to pay the crazy money that other teams are willing to pay in real dollars either. Which I agree with. Modest overpayments are one thing, but some are just totally insane.

Grabovski is one player I think we have a real chance with though.

sparty09

Apr 6, 2012
Weiss, Ribeiro, Grabovski, Roy, and Filppula are still on the market. Contract aside, I think Filppula is the best fit. Not only that, but Armstrong is a trader. Back away from the ledge.
Weiss and Ribeiro are not on the market.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
I think Grabovski would be good for the team but I feel like a lot of fans won't like the deal and won't like his production after whatever we give him, although considering recent signings something in the $4 million range seems like it'd get it done.

He's pretty similar to guys we already have, guys like Backes/Oshie, good defensively, good in a puck possession game, will put up 60 or so points but won't be a superstar level player.

He's definitely the best option on the FA market right now but someone like Stastny would really change things for the team. Grabovski makes us better but its hard to say how much... though we'd be pretty dominant on every line with him in our lineup.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri

In reading JR, the team has not choice but to win in order to get corporate backing and dollars, otherwise we will fail. So what happens from here? We are missing a center and we need that to really become a contender. And why have we failed to sign our top 2 rfas.

Without more corporate help, The Blues won't be here in 5 years.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I think Grabovski would be good for the team but I feel like a lot of fans won't like the deal and won't like his production after whatever we give him, although considering recent signings something in the $4 million range seems like it'd get it done.

I don't know much about Grabovski but if he could go back to being a 51-58 point producer, I'd take that.

We aren't getting anyone better and that would be a slight improvement over Berglund. It sounds like Hitch wants to try Bergy out on the wing anyways so signing a center will open up that possibility.

Use the Schwartz*

Hes a hard worker who is very good defensivley, can put up north of 50 points.

I feel like we just dont like to risk spending that extra money. Our management prefers signing veterans and 4th line forwards. Trades seems to be our forte, can hurt us in situations like this.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Been hearing that every year for the last 45 years.

The Blues are still here.

Fair enough, however The Blues seem to have new ownership every 5-10 years in the last 45 years because the franchise doesn't make any money due to asinine taxes, a terrible lease, parking and concessions, blah blah, therefore the future of the Blues in St. Louis, much like our goalie situation, is cloudy without even more corporate help to the local ownership group.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I don't know, im sure Armstrong did everything he could to get that center.He shouldn't have to sign a bad contract to get players to come here, thats just a bad business. I think we lack a winning atmosphere, maybe players don't like the city? Who knows but he us going to have to either trade for the players he wants or find out why STL is not attractive to FAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad