The future of Steve Mason

TBJF

Brick by Ga-borik
Apr 23, 2003
Central Hiya
I don't think we'd get much if anything for Mase. Bob should be getting the majority of starts. We know what we have in Mase but Bob could be a legit number one.

I agree, strongly. And to elaborate on the point, this is the single biggest thing GMSH did to alienate me: Anybody who is willing to hold onto Steve Mason until we get "a reasonable offer" for him is going to keep him on the roster until his contract runs out. We're never going to get anything substantial out of him.

He is not now, and never again will be, the fuzzy-faced rookie Vezina finalist. I have no doubt he will have a year or two after he moves along where he once again looks like a viable starting goalie in the NHL. But it will just be a repeat of his short-boom, long bust cycle.

He needs to move on to have any hope of reviving his career. This was obvious two years ago. But Howson kept hanging on to him in desperate hopes he might regain some market value. And all the while the sucking continues. And every mediocre game he plays gives people hope that he may come around.

It's time for this organization to stop hoping for miracles and get on with the business of trying to win. They need to get Mason off the roster and bring in somebody qualified to be a starting goalie in the NHL. And if that means giving up a first rounder, or a prized prospect, so be it.

At least, that's the way it looks to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad