Speculation: The future of Marc Staal

SupersonicMonkey*

Goes without having to say at this point. I would be very concerned if they invested so much into Staal at this point in his career.

If they do (and they most likely will), I just hope for the best. But every time he goes down after getting hit, I'm going to cringe.

That said, I'd still give the C to McDonagh or Girardi.

McDonagh
Girardi
Staal

the C's and A's.

Richie goes bye-bye.

Thesensation19*

going to be real simple.

staal, would you like to be a ranger or would you rather play with your brothers?

nyr: okay lets talk. they get it done before the seasn

w bros.
okay well trade you

jared got a serious return. marc should get close to same

MTrangers

Oct 26, 2012
Missoula, MT
going to be real simple.

staal, would you like to be a ranger or would you rather play with your brothers?

nyr: okay lets talk. they get it done before the seasn

w bros.
okay well trade you

jared got a serious return. marc should get close to same

If JARED Staal got a great return then I bet we could literally get the world for Marc :sarcasm:

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Staal wants his future settled this summer

http://nypost.com/2014/03/09/rangers-must-go-out-of-character-lock-up-staal-soon/

No reason to wait. He didn't indicate if he wants to join his brothers. We will find out soon. :sarcasm:

Eddie O was talking about this on the broadcast yesterday. Kenny Albert too.

Yup, Staal knows he has this team by the short hairs.

This:

"'You can say all you want that it’s not on your mind and it’s not a distraction, but it’s something that has to weigh on you,' No. 18 said. 'I know my brother, Jordan, went through a lot of that early on in a season when he was in Pittsburgh and basically said, ‘Enough of that.’"

Citing his brother's situation, while also stating that the team needs to want to get a contract done this summer means two things--Staal knows about the Carolina concern, and he's going to use it (like the KHL card) to get the best contract possible.

He's our second best defenseman. We only have two top 4 LD's in the system. He signed at a discount on his last deal. Barring him asking for the absolute moon (7+ AAV), Sather needs to get this done.

Clausewitz

Dec 20, 2013
If I were in MS's position, I'd expect to be the next captain, considering I've worn an "A" longer than anyone else who will likely be on next year's roster, and also taking into account my skills, work ethic, All-Star appearance, and considering how much I've sacrificed for this team. Back to being Clausewitz, I honestly don't care who gets the "C," since a letter doesn't turn a vocal leader into an introvert; nor does it make an exemplary hard-worker lazy. Official recognition (and a nice contract) might, however, motivate Marc to renew his contract. It certainly wouldn't drive him away from NY.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
If I were in MS's position, I'd expect to be the next captain, considering I've worn an "A" longer than anyone else who will likely be on next year's roster, and also taking into account my skills, work ethic, All-Star appearance, and considering how much I've sacrificed for this team. Back to being Clausewitz, I honestly don't care who gets the "C," since a letter doesn't turn a vocal leader into an introvert; nor does it make an exemplary hard-worker lazy. Official recognition (and a nice contract) might, however, motivate Marc to renew his contract. It certainly wouldn't drive him away from NY.

What happens if they can't hammer out a deal this summer and Sather begins to entertain ideas of trading him along with Brassard in landing a top center and shoring up the D with a FA signing?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What happens if they can't hammer out a deal this summer and Sather begins to entertain ideas of trading him along with Brassard in landing a top center and shoring up the D with a FA signing?

Or... Trade Brassard + Staal for Carolina's 1st round pick. Use that pick to get a very talented center high in the draft.

Clausewitz

Dec 20, 2013

Sign me up. All I'm saying is that making him captain could nudge him towards re-signing with us. It wouldn't turn a definite "no" into a definite "yes" -- but it could help. Either way, though, I doubt he'll go to Carolina.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
you can give marc staal 7+ mil a year. thats insanity.

you dont give defensive defenseman that kind of money. ever.

id give him a little more than Girardi.

Girardi doesnt have his health issues. Staal is the better defenseman. But its pretty close.

6 years at 5.75

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'd try not to go over $6m for Staal. If I'm Sather, I fire the first bow by offering the same deal Girardi got. Expect the price to go up slightly, but not by too much because of Staal's concussion history.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
you can give marc staal 7+ mil a year. thats insanity.

you dont give defensive defenseman that kind of money. ever.

id give him a little more than Girardi.

Girardi doesnt have his health issues. Staal is the better defenseman. But its pretty close.

6 years at 5.75

Who was suggesting we give Staal 7M per? He'll likely be looking for a bit over 6 and the team will be offering bit under 6...at the end of the day they'll agree on ~6x6. Fair deal all around.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
And then what? The team is trying to win now...yet we're worse off for the next couple years if we do that deal.

A top5 pick can have an immediate impact in the league. What else would you prefer? Signing a guy like Stastny so we are tied up to a 8m/y contract for 8 years? No thank you.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
This is his 7th year in the league, and only once has he placed in the top-20 in Norris voting.

There is no way in hell he is worth more than Norris-candiate types who are better, more all-around and healthier.

He's a good defenseman but he should get no more than Girardi.

and yet we just gave Girardi $5.5M AAV
you pay what the market demands or if they ask for more, you trade them to Tampa.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
This is his 7th year in the league, and only once has he placed in the top-20 in Norris voting.

There is no way in hell he is worth more than Norris-candiate types who are better, more all-around and healthier.

He's a good defenseman but he should get no more than Girardi.

So he's not better than Girardi?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
A top5 pick can have an immediate impact in the league. What else would you prefer? Signing a guy like Stastny so we are tied up to a 8m/y contract for 8 years? No thank you.

If I were trading Staal and Brassard I'd want a center that wasn't just drafted. There's a huge risk there. I'd much rather have a further along prospect who looks to have top 6 potential than an early draft pick at this point. Get someone who is a little less risky and a little closer to actually joining the team if you're giving up a year of Staal and a year of Brass.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Staal is not better than Girardi, and Girardi is not better than Staal. They are both stay-at-home d-men who chip in with random offense.

Blame injuries, his brother, whatever. The kid has been in the league seven years and I just dont consider him a 6 million dollar d-man.

McDonagh has progressed perfectly -- his entire career. Staal has been up and down every season. He's hit or miss.

I hope Skjei is legit.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Staal is actually decent enough on the PP but he gets 0 time there because he's lefthanded. Girardi gets PP time (butchers it constantly) but Staal is better offensively than people give him credit for. With the cap going up, he's definitely worth a cap hit of 6, it just depends on the length.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad